Camping in a T@B w/ Family

Folks, I have been a fan of both the TAB 320 and 400 for years. However, the campers are not ideal for a family of four. Are there other families out there using a 320 or 400? I don’t mind sleeping in a tent and I assume a kid would occasionally join me. I don’t want a large camper and the size of the TAB’s are exactly what I’m looking for. I’d be interested in how other families with small children handle a TAB, if they in fact attempt to do so. Thanks. 

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2019
    Our add a room side tent more than doubles the living area of the Tab. You could easily set up cots in there for the kids, or for the adults.
    Also, years ago I saw a posting where someone had build a bunk bed above the Tab's bed to provide for small children sleeping.
    Any way that you look at it, you will be cramped if you expect to spend much time in the Tab, but if you approach it like tent camping, where you spend most of your time outside, cooking, hiking, sitting around the fire, etc. You can do it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• McMullapMcMullap Member Posts: 24
    @jgram2 - Thank you. That’s an interesting concept. I assume a side tent would likely work too. Im curious how well they work; waterproof, wind proof, etc. 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @McMullap, since May of 2016, my husband and me have travelled with our boys(great nephews that we took into our home to raise at the ages of 1 & 2) who were 10 & 11 then (now 13 & 14). The 4 of us shared the nearly king sized bed of the t@b 320. All of us slept wheel to wheel. The boys each faced opposite directions, the DH slept next to them and I slept in a sitting position on the bed, with my back against the tiny wall space between the door and window. Even this year, up to July, all 4 of us managed to share our t@b. When we departed for a month long vacation toward the end of July, there were only 3 of us, as the older boy stayed with family because of his sports commitments. We are now transitioning the boys back to their biological parents, and this fall's weekend getaways were lonely. There seems to be a big empty space where the kids were, both in the bed and in the time their supervision required. Because our mix were 3 males and 1 female, only when I dressed, did the 3 of them leave to give me privacy. By that time, they were packing the tv for a day's adventure or travel and it fell right into our schedule. It is easily doable. Organization and a little preplanning of what each person has to do in coordination with the others is the key. And I know of what I  speak. With the boys in the last 3 years we visited 34 or 35 states, drove over 35,000 miles of roads, experienced 40+ National Parks and Monuments, swam in both Pacific and Atlantic oceans, and did almost too many things to retell here. I think we've spent over 120 nights in the trailer. The 320S has been our cocoon, safety and shelter in storms and the best memory maker we could have imagined. If you have any specific questions, send me a PM and I'm happy to respond! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • JerseyJersey Member Posts: 21
    So, I'm a tab 320 owner with 3 teenage boys plus a dog and wife. In summary, it can be done with a little flexibility and creativity, just like pretty much everything when it comes to parenting - eating out, getting the to school and other activities, etc.

For us, in the few times we've taken it out,  have myself, wife, and youngest in the bed with the 40lb+dog  on the floor. Plenty of room! We have the side tent, but older kids prefer having a separate small tent all to themselves.   We are backpackers first and they enjoy the simplicity and confinement of their own small tent. Maybe not an option for your small kids but the side tent is definitely.

But the takeaway is...IMO buy what you want first and foremost, the rest can be figured out. Don't compromise on a unit you don't really want just because it might fit logistically because you won't be happy. Most importantly, be sure the best you can that you'll be able to get out to go camping (that's the dilemma I've come to realize and am facing for various reasons).
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Another way to look at the kids camping with Mom and Dad is that there comes an age where they don’t want to camp with their parents....ewwwe.....yuck!   So, if you plan on keeping the T@B, just remember that they will have other ideas about how to spend their time in those early teenage years.  Enjoy their closeness and company while you can. You’ll have more room in a few years. 

Of course, what’s neat is when they again want to camp with you as they have great memories in the times spent with you in their formative years. ❤️
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Jackie_DaveJackie_Dave Member Posts: 73
    When I was growing up there were 8 of us kids and mom and dad. We had a popup camper and 2 tents. Parents were in one bunk, 2 oldest sisters were in the other bunk, youngest slept on the fold down dinette, 3 girls in one tent and the 2 boys in the other. I'm sure we drove the neighboring campers nuts with noise, but we had a lot of fun. Hiked many, many miles and mountains in the Adirondacks. Never had electric or water hookups. Just dry camping with, back then, pit toilets and bathed in the cold lakes. Memories! And that's what it's all about. 

You'll figure it out. Just need to take the leap and the rest will fall into place. 
    2018 T@B 320-S / 2007 Toyota Tundra
    Harpers Ferry, WV
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We didn't have our T@B until we were empty nesters, but being in Scouts, my boys camped in their own tents away from adults from the time they were 10, so if being inside is a bit too tight, let them set up a tent and sleep on the site behind the trailer.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    Thank you all for the responses. I would love to start camping now while the children are small and build memories together. If it means we are cramped inside or I’m sleeping in an adjacent tent, I think it’s worth it. Hope everyone had a wonderful year and an ever better 2020. Cheers. 
    I was talking to some friends that camp a lot. They claim that many campgrounds do not allow both tents and travel trailers in a single spot. Is this true? And if so, this presents a problem if I was going to use the side tent while the other family members slept in the T@B. Thoughts?
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Campgrounds all have their own guidelines.  I don’t think the attached side tent is viewed as a regular tent.  Many campgrounds will allow separate tents.  Most have limits to the number of people camped at a site.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio