Options

Purchasing a new 2018 question...

I have a friend who is in the market for a teardrop. She located a new 2018 Tab 320 S. Dealership says it hasn’t sold because of the color. It is a specialty color, but my friend likes the color. Price is excellent. Warranty is for new purchase.  Would it be unwise to purchase since it is a 2018?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited January 2020
    New, under the original warranty and a good price?  If you check it out like any other new trailer, you should look closely at it, since it sounds like a nice deal.  Just check to make sure it is new, check with NuCamp on the warranty status.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I’d have just two concerns. 

One is the date of manufacture; 2018 models built from late November 2017 through the end of January 2018 may develop floor issues due to the use of GreenCore flooring rather than Azdel (there was an Azdel shortage that affected the industry). This is a known issue and nuCamp is exceptional about handling it, but better to know ahead of time whether or not this could be an affected trailer.

The other would just be general maintenance over the two years it’s been sitting on the lot. The tires are two years older, so they’ll need to be replaced sooner than expected—tires are typically good for 4-5 years. I’d also ask the dealer to check all seams and recaulk as necessary prior to purchase.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Henriette, it sounds like a good opportunity at a good price, so certainly worth considering.  There is always a risk with buying something that has been sitting for a long time.  The key is giving it a thorough examination, especially if it has been on a lot in extreme weather conditions (e.g., a very hot or very cold climate.)  The tires have already been mentioned, but take the time to check everything, inside and out, especially the caulking and window seals.  Also, your friend might ask the dealer to throw in a free wheel bearing re-pack.  Also, take the opportunity to get them to throw in a good battery (maybe a Group 27 instead of a Group 24.)  Hopefully, some folks with a 2018 model will chime in with any concerns they may have, including later options or standard upgrades in 2019 or 2020 models that they wish they had.  This latter point is probably what would make me go with a brand new model, but that is just me.  Bottom line, however, is if it comes with the same one year warranty, your friend will have that if something turns up that she missed in the inspection.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    One thing your friend may want to know is if it has the ALDE 3020 or the 3010.  The 3020 has the built in high altitude adjustment.  That may be significant depending on where they camp.  I agree that the dealer may give you some upgrades to take it off their hands.  I would consider using the zerk fitting to add some more lube.  Also, ask how it was winterized.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    In the categories to the left, there is one called Looking to Purchase a Trailer. In October 2019, @Sharon_is_SAM made a post in the What to look for in buying a used trailer with links to two helpful threads. One is a checklist and the other notes the changes made year to year. The changes may not be precise because nüCamp used to make changes to models already on the assembly line throughout the year, but that post gives an idea what to look for. I continue to have problems with my iPad, so can’t guarantee you can open the Trailer walk through pdf, but it’s pretty darned complete, except perhaps for changing a flat tire. WE didn’t use it when we bought a used T@B, but it’s worth reading if you can open it.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Sounds like it could be a great deal! If it has the flooring problem that’s a warranty issue that can be resolved/replaced before delivery at no charge to your friend. I upgraded to a group 27 battery before I picked up my early 2017 320S and have never had any power problems. It was a smart move because they had to reconfigure the mounting bracket in the tub, not me! It was simple, but something I didn’t have to do. I agree with @Bayliss list to check. Since it’s been on their lot it may need some freshening up, tires, axle grease, toilet seal if left dry, etc. Best of luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    I personally would not be concerned with buying this trailer. The systems have had little or no use and you are getting a new warranty. Just have the dealer ensure everything is working properly before delivery and all caulking is intact. You may have to replace the tires in two years rather than five but that would not be a deal breaker for me. Either check yourself or have the dealer check with NuCamp to verify if this is one of the recalled units for the flooring issue. If it is recalled, work out a repair before you take delivery. NuCamp will take care of it. 

IMO the wheel bearings (axle grease) only need service after the trailer has been pulled several miles. The more miles, the more often to service. This trailer has basically zero miles.  

Good luck. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020