Options

who's getting close?

boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
our new pick-up topper arrived last week, and the packing plan for departure to texas got in full swing. i order the topper back early december and it took longer than expected, oh well, better to come back to iowa closer to spring than still in the arms of winter.
carpeted, padded truck bed mat in place, mountain bikes secured, gear in tubs in place. this week the cupboards in boonie will be stocked.
thanks for all the help these past 2 months from folks on this site who listened to my newbie questions, and helped prepare us for our adventure-s.
while many are in warmer climates already, there must be more ready to bolt south like us.
happy travels and see you on the road :)

2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    we have a couple of more weeks,    getting tired of the cold damp gloomy weather.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @boonie - what area of Texas is good for winter stays?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited January 2020
    There's a Texas State Parks app with lots of images highlighting what each park offers.  The state ranges from beaches to deep forest (with lots of ticks), to small mountains and expansive deserts.  All areas are good for winter stays, but Palo Duro and other areas in the panhandle and the west can get occasional snow.  You could consider a state park pass if moving often.  It gets you into the parks free.

We do have some national lands like the LBJ Grasslands, but there's not as much public free camping as states further west and along the Rockies.  Some US Corp of Engineers properties like lakes have free camping, but it's rare.  However the national pass applies for entry or discounts there. There are occasional free municipal and county boondocks sites.  Some parks in the middle of nowhere have Bortle 2-3 skies, so the skies at night (Ft. Davis) are another possibility.

Its not the most bicycle friendly state, but there's plenty of places with hiking and paddling (with gators from the coast up through N-NE Texas).

P.S.  Broke our hitch last year in Houston in a huge pothole at one of the many construction areas. Be careful.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    @boonie - what area of Texas is good for winter stays now, we have no time limit for our maiden journey. looking at heading to houston then south. anywhere there is no snow and more sun will do us just fine. we have our tab and each other, it's going to be awesome :)
  • Options
    there are many county parks along the way. usually on water, and very reasonable with excellent amenities. love the campendium app. with that and rvparky, great resources for overnight or extended stay locations. buying the tab has and will be a game changer :)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2020
    @boonie - what area of Texas is good for winter stays?
    As noted Sharon, Texas has many state parks available and they are all different.   I have found all the parks and including National parks like Big Bend very accommodating and comfortable.  I would drop down to I-10 and get closer to the coast and explore.  Palmetto SP is a nice place and another favorite is South Llano River SP, along with Big Bend NP and Big Bend Ranch SP that has a beautiful drive along the Rio Grande River that is majestic.  Davis Mountains SP is another beautiful setting and features the McDonald observatory which is worth the visit.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited January 2020
    So, in general, south of I 10 is pleasant during the winter?

Thanks @DougH!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    We are currently in TX, working our way back east. On the way out on I-20 we stayed at Monahans Sandhills SP. Nice park and a very different landscape. Coming back along I-10 we’re going to South Llana River SP tomorrow for a couple of days. There were a few other parks we wanted to try but most were booked up. This seems to be high season for camping in Texas.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium