Options

Keder Rail Loose Screws

TartantrioTartantrio Member Posts: 5
edited August 2021 in Trailer & Towing
Has anyone experienced the loosening of the keeder rail fasteners?
If so, what is the fix?

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    It's been mentioned here in the past. I'm not sure if anyone did anything to mitigate the problem other than just snug 'em up and keep an eye on them as part of regular maintenance. Maybe a little LocTite or caulking on the threads if you really want a bit of insurance?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Loose screws haven't been a problem for me....Just the folks around me.....
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I snug them up once a year, including all the trim pieces. Don't over tighten and I'd not use Loctite. Better they have room to expand and contract, and not crack.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    My first thought was, "Oooh! A post about me!" :-) No loose Keder rail fasteners here, though we've not used the rail yet either. 

Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    It is one of the goofy things I do at a campsite.  Walk around with the square bit driver in my hand, checking for loose screws.  Not as many now as when I first checked a few years ago.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I usually go around with a glass of wine, first looking for the screwdriver.

When I find that, I'll look for screws to tighten, until my glass is empty.

It seems to take a number of trips to get them all checked, and then I start again, in case I missed any...  :s

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    I have purchased an all pro awning for the tab 400 Boondock the first time we installed the awning it was almost next to impossible to get things sliding nicely through the Keeder rail what I noticed it seems like all the attachment screws seem somewhat proud has anyone had that problem or has anyone lubed anything at any time to help this go easier pretty tough to do thanks for any advice, another thing that I noticed was that the door would not open without rubbing the top of the canopy when it was almost to the latch on the side of the trailer anybody have any comments about that again thank you so much
    Ed.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Our CSS PahaQue tent Keder rope hangs up occasionally.  In the past we sprayed lubricant in the rail, but what really helps is to gently pull the rope away from the screw when you get to a spot that catches.  

Regarding the door - our door rubs the top of our tent.  We use a cord to secure it to the handle on the front of the TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks ,it seems that the plastic rod in side the material hangs up on every screw head I tried some silicone lube not so great. Will try some soap next trip. I stood on a 4 foot ladder and all but pulled my guts out.The material is some tuff stuff and the sewing held up through this very tough pull through . Any other all pro awning owners out there? What was your experience like  thank you.
    Ed
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    My first thought was “Where’s @ericnliz when ya need him?” Actually, I know where he is, he’s just offline for a while. 

Now to locate my Robertson screwdriver… sigh! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @justdoit70 - did you try to tighten down the screws in the rail?
  • Options
    Thanks again I did try but my driver bit is to large I have a uni bit kit that will not fit in the rail to access the screw head. I need a thin shaft driver I am having a hard time finding one locally any ideas.
    Ed

• Options
    Any hardware department or big box store with a good tool selection will sell the #1 and #2 Robertson screwdrivers.  We bought ours at Menards.
  • Options
    Thanks again not in my neck of the woods. Next step my tool truck guy.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Any hardware department or big box store with a good tool selection will sell the #1 and #2 Robertson screwdrivers.  We bought ours at Menards.
    You would think. But I’ve tried 2 good hardware stores and a Home Depot and all they have for Robertson is bits. I’m going to give up and order a screwdriver from Amazon. Are the screws in the Keder rail #1 or #2? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    It is the smaller of the two sizes.  Is that a ‘1”?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Marceline, there are #1 and #2 Robertson (square drive) screws used in the T@B’s.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @Marceline, there are #1 and #2 Robertson (square drive) screws used in the T@B’s.
    Sorry if I was unclear. I have a driver with all sorts of bits including square heads. I was asking specifically about the screws in the Keder rail. I can’t get a driver with swappable bits (even a longer bit) in there so I need to buy a driver just for that purpose.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471

We got a #1 and #2 like this from Amazon and the #1 fits in our Keder rail on our 400. These are dedicated screwdrivers but you don't lose the bits...

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    qhumberd said:

We got a #1 and #2 like this from Amazon and the #1 fits in our Keder rail on our 400. These are dedicated screwdrivers but you don't lose the bits...
    Thanks! I'll try a #1
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Wow what a way to start a vacation . Qhumberd thanks for the find I was going nuts .thanks to all who answered. Ordered #1#2#0 roberson from amazon thanks
     Ed