Options

Best Boondocking Rig for 2010 TQ w/2 Way Norcold

Greetings!

I am looking to upgrade our fridge situation so we can continue to use the fridge when boondocking, for how long I don't know, but I'd like to set it up for as long a use as possible. Currently we have the stock Norcold 2 way model DC0740B (should I consider getting a more efficient current model of some sort? This is one is pretty small, and has an angled rear portion, I wonder if the cavity could accommodate a deeper fridge?). We have an Energizer 12v Marine Battery with 675 Marine and 550 Cold Cranking Amps and a  42 watt Powerfilm Solar Panel (maybe consider getting a second one?). From what I have read getting two 6 volt golf car batteries will help. I am wondering about keeping the energizer and adding 2 6 volts so I can have 2 systems, one charging while the other is in use? I have also read here that I should get a Trimetric meter or equivalent to aid in understanding my AH needs.

Thanks,

Peter.

2010 T16-Q & 2013 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Before changing out your frig, for boondocking, I would increase your battery capacity with two 6v batteries and have a minimum of 100 watts of solar.  Look for the 20 amp hr capacity of your battery.  It sounds like you don’t have a true deep cycle battery.  Your 42 amp solar panel may be good for keeping a trickle charge on a charged battery, but it will not be enough to charge a depleted battery to continue running a frig, water pump, lights etc.  Some kind of battery monitor is necessary.  Many members start with a simple plug in 12 v meter and later convert to a shunted system like the Victron.  

Regarding the frig, although an owner did retrofit an ARB in the Tab, many owners use a portable ARB frig/freezer to supplement their cooler capacity.  That may be the easier answer.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TabletTablet Member Posts: 46
    Thanks! I'm wondering about the wisdom of getting 2 100w solar panels and putting one in front of and one behind the roof vent, to be able to catch sun from a range of angles?
  • Options
    Keep in mind when and where you camp.  A permanently mounted solar array requires you to park in the sun which can make it difficult to cool down.  
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    Since NuCamp began installing the roof mounted solar, we hear more and more owners who also have a portable panel for maximum flexibility.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    @Tablet asks:
    ... about the wisdom of getting 2 100w solar panels and putting one in front of and one behind the roof vent, to be able to catch sun from a range of angles?

I did that, but with 160W panels, and like it. With one panel our battery was drained from running the clamshell’s Norcold on hot days. Since getting the second we haven’t run down the battery, but the weather changed too so that isn’t proof.

i am hopeful that a planned fan+vents mod will power the refrigerator during warm weather. 
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    Great points! Since the batteries will charge while driving from our van, no need for solar then, typically only when parked, and what do you look for when you park if you can find it? Shade!!! Unless it's Winter in Wisconsin...
  • Options
    Well, depending on how much of your battery you run down and the distance to your next stop, you may not be able to recharge enough in between stops.  Unless you plan to stop at campgrounds with electric service, you will need solar or a generator to keep the batteries charged.  I think we were suggesting you consider a solar suitcase to allow you to park in the shade and extend the solar panels into the sun to charge the batteries.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    That battery is probably about 65ah, of which you can only use about 32ah (not advisable to draw a conventional battery down beyond 50%). And it's probably not a deep cycle battery. The fridge consumes 3-4ah while running, so the fridge alone could chew up your entire battery capacity in a day. So for the 2-way fridge you need a bigger battery and more solar power, or a generator.  I don't know that there's a replacement fridge that draws less power, unless you switch to a cooler-style electric fridge, which is a big retrofit that would probably cost more than new batteries and more solar.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    I got it. I concur with what both of you are saying. I think better batteries and a portable solar rig are in our future. We may try our Orca with block ice as a backup for a time before we consider investing in something like an ARB. They sound great but they are pricey. I wouldn't do it in this trailer, but we have considered building our own rig, and I have wondered about the wisdom of making a well insulated old style ice box instead, and just getting new block ice every so often.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2020
    Had one in a boat I used to live aboard, changed it out for a RV style 2-way (back in the 70s) wished I had left the old ice box in instead, it kept food cooler than the frig did.  The new 2-way in our TaB400 seems to work very well, wish I had this in the boat back then.  I also have a Yeti ice chest that works very nicely, with a bag of ice lasting five days or so.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.