@tcmeyers-I think that one looks great.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    BaybeeBaybee Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2020
    tcmeyers said:
    We have a 2018 Tesla Model X 100D with the towing package. It’s rated at 5000 lbs pull and 500 lbs tongue. But it supposedly can only use a ball mount with a maximum rise of 3/4” which puts the top of a 2” ball at 16-3/4”. A 2-5/16 ball would be a bit higher, but I’m not sure of the exact number. I have a feeling everyone ignores this, but I hesitate to. 

I’m interested in the T@B 400... is anyone pulling one with a Tesla Model X?

Hi.

We have a 2020 Model X and have been successfully towing a 2019 T@B 400 Boondook Lite with no problems for a couple months. It's a 2 inch ball connection with minimum rise on the receiver (.75 inches). The car handles beautifully, since the computers counteract any squat or sway with the self adjusting suspension and brakes.

It really is a non event. Plan on about 1/2 your usual range though. That's if you travel up to 60 MPH with an occasional burst to 65 or 70 for passing etc. The range improves DRAMATICALLY as you slow down. Even maxing out at 55 makes a noticeable difference. My 2020 "X" has an EPA range of 351. We have been taking 120-130 mile legs comfortably.

I had a Teconsha P3 brake controller that I installed on my  Tesla (very easy. No dealer required if you are confident with minor wiring. It is helpful for quick stops, but with REGEN braking, it hardly ever kicks in.

So, with some planning and considerate driving, there is much to enjoy with the MX/T@B 400 mashup!

Chris

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    For those of us who don't speak Tesla, when you say "MX" you mean "Model X", correct? Welcome to the Forums....and pictures! 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BaybeeBaybee Member Posts: 2
    For those of us who don't speak Tesla, when you say "MX" you mean "Model X", correct? Welcome to the Forums....and pictures! 
    fixed it. thx. :)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    In Europe and the UK, they tow caravans like the TaB320 and 400 with small (for the 320) and midsize SUVs (for the TaB 400 and similar size caravans (travel trailers). 

The secret is first, EU Tabs have a longer tongue, with a lighter tongue weight (you can lift the tongue hitch with one hand).  This is possible because they use a positive locking trailer hitch, which has feint and back wear blocks the lock onto the TV ball.  Next, the hitch is dampened, and operates a surge type brake controller, no TV brake controllers.

Finally, they do not tow their caravan trailers faster than 50-55mph, and that is only on highways, backroads are at 45mph or less.  So these factors added up, result in a TV here, like the Jeep Renegade being rated to haul 4000-4500 lbs. while here the same vehicle is rated at 3500 lbs.  Heavy tongue weights that we require due to our fast highway speeds to maintain trailer stability at these (excessive) speeds. 

We could take a lesson from this, and slow Down our towing speeds, and keep it under 55mph, and when possible, avoid the super fast speed Freeways/Interstates.  So it takes a little longer to reach the destination, but you will have a nicer drive (less white knuckles), enjoy the trip more, and Save gas/energy.  Some of the best routes are the lesser traveled old highways and backroads.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    finding_eliasfinding_elias Member Posts: 26
    I've read this entire thread carefully and good to see some experience with Tesla Model X. I am moving to California soon and have placed an order for a Model Y. I can only have one vehicle and theoretically, the Model Y should pull my 2021 Tab 320S Boondock fine since the MY pulls up to 3500 lbs. My concern though is that the Boondock edition with the higher wheels and the 2021 model with the taller frame contribute to the size of the pull with my low profile semi-SUV. The hitch requirements seem a bit too low to be level enough to pull. I'll know more of course when I actually get the MY and try to hook it up. Does anyone have any experience at all with the Tesla Model Y? For those of you with Model X, is the distance from the ground to the hitch ball the same as for the Model Y? And if so, what implication does the height on a Boondock have on this? I may end up having to sell my beautiful Tab (some of you may have seen it around with the desert wrap) and get a Tag XL Boondock instead. Looking forward to some good feedback. 
    Elias - Phoenix, Arizona
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock, 2021 Jeep Gladiator JT
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    You can drop the height of the Boondock TaB a bit, by replacing the off road wheels and tires with the lower profile Std TaB wheels and tires.  You can also retro fit a Std TaB axle to the Boondock series to lower it back down even more.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 47
    We are towing a 2022 320 s bd with our model Y with factory tow package.  Effortless.  We did have to install a hitch with a 4" rise to get a level setup with the trailer.  Incidentally the correct wiring harness for the brake controller is the same as model X.  Seems to confuse parts guys.  Only hit is to range which for us is about 120 miles.  Not a problem here in Washington.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Towhee said:
    We are towing a 2022 320 s bd with our model Y with factory tow package.  Effortless.  We did have to install a hitch with a 4" rise to get a level setup with the trailer.  Incidentally the correct wiring harness for the brake controller is the same as model X.  Seems to confuse parts guys.  Only hit is to range which for us is about 120 miles.  Not a problem here in Washington.
    Thank you! So do you mind sending me a picture of the 4” rise hitch receiver you’re using? Elias72@mac.com. So ignore Tesla’s edict not to use a hitch receiver over 0.75” rise? 
    Elias - Phoenix, Arizona
  • Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 47
    @finding_elias I am not recommending any hitch for others. I balanced the need for level towing along with weight and tongue weight and picked the setup I am using.  Towing is smooth with no sway and hill climbing is effortless.  Regen going down hills is great also.  Could use more range, but we stop every two hours anyway and have a snack or meal while the Tesla is on the supercharger.  Also by plugging in at campgrounds we can charge enough to get to the next campground.  Since the power is in the cost of the site anyway we don't pay extra for energy.  Check out E-trailer for pics of towbars.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Using a 4-inch rise on aTV, shifts the center of gravity on the hitch point up above the lower TV center of effort, and could create an unstable situation.  Not saying it will, just a potential issue, especially since Tesla recommends nothing higher than 3/4-inch rise.  

A better available solution is to drop the height of the Boondock TaB by replacing the wheels and axle with the 3 to 4-inch lower standard axle setup.  This is a relatively easy change costing around $800-900, and results in a more stable towing situation.  With a low clearance vehicle like the Tesla, the rig would look better also.

@finding_elias, your other option is to keep your Gladiator, or trade it in on a Jeep Wrangler JLU 4XE hybrid, or wait for the Gladiator 4XE…  ;)
     cheers 
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Using a 4-inch rise on aTV, shifts the center of gravity on the hitch point up above the lower TV center of effort, and could create an unstable situation.  Not saying it will, just a potential issue, especially since Tesla recommends nothing higher than 3/4-inch rise.  

A better available solution is to drop the height of the Boondock TaB by replacing the wheels and axle with the 3 to 4-inch lower standard axle setup.  This is a relatively easy change costing around $800-900, and results in a more stable towing situation.  With a low clearance vehicle like the Tesla, the rig would look better also.

@finding_elias, your other option is to keep your Gladiator, or trade it in on a Jeep Wrangler JLU 4XE hybrid, or wait for the Gladiator 4XE…  ;)
     cheers 
    Great advice! I did look into the new hybrid Jeep too and am thinking which vehicle I'd rather spend 65k on. A Jeep for that price is just nuts. The Tesla hitch requirement is pretty clear but I keep seeing videos on YouTube of Model 3s towing and Tesla doesn't even support a hitch on the Model S. Nothing but positive reviews on Teslas pulling except of course for the loss of battery charge which is to be expected. There's even a guy in Canada pulling a full sized Airstream...with a Model 3!. His explanation is all physics and mathematical jargon that loses me after the first 30 seconds but he seems to have a legitimate scientific and SAFE explanation. He has tons of videos posted. 

Elias - Phoenix, Arizona
  • Options
    Yes, a 4XE is $49K…. But how much is the Tesla?
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, a 4XE is $49K…. But how much is the Tesla?
    Cheers 
    Ha! Thanks for your candor. Jeep announced recently a large price hike for the 2022 4XE at $52,000 bare bones. The Tesla Model Y also just went up from $56k to $60k also standard features only. We’ll see what I decide. For now, I’m happy for all the great feedback and input. Helps a guy make a decision about which toy to get. 
    Elias - Phoenix, Arizona
  • Options
    Thanks.  It went up $3K!  You just can’t count on anything these days, except having to pay more $…
    cheers
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    edited January 2022
    This Tesla takes the cake., and yes they are hooked up.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited January 2022
    I'm towing a 400 with a four door 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe (Hybrid). I paid $52k April 2021 out the door including all taxes, tags, and dealer fees. Its fully loaded except for auto convertible top.  I have a contact for cheap pricing if anyone interested (lowest on East coast).  LOVE IT!!!  It tows super easy. Electric range noticably reduced. I get 23mpg when towing versus 33mpg when not,  but I recharge over night when I arrive at camp for free. KOAs are starting to add fast charging stations at individual camp sites.

I also use the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. If your tow vehicle has a factory tow package then you won't need to hard wire it. You should be able to get a compatible Tekonsha wiring harness that allows you to just plug it in.  

I hope the pic above is someone just trying to get a laugh. 
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Denny16 said:
    In Europe and the UK, they tow caravans like the TaB320 and 400 with small (for the 320) and midsize SUVs (for the TaB 400 and similar size caravans (travel trailers). 

The secret is first, EU Tabs have a longer tongue, with a lighter tongue weight (you can lift the tongue hitch with one hand).  This is possible because they use a positive locking trailer hitch, which has feint and back wear blocks the lock onto the TV ball.  Next, the hitch is dampened, and operates a surge type brake controller, no TV brake controllers.

Finally, they do not tow their caravan trailers faster than 50-55mph, and that is only on highways, backroads are at 45mph or less.  So these factors added up, result in a TV here, like the Jeep Renegade being rated to haul 4000-4500 lbs. while here the same vehicle is rated at 3500 lbs.  Heavy tongue weights that we require due to our fast highway speeds to maintain trailer stability at these (excessive) speeds. 

We could take a lesson from this, and slow Down our towing speeds, and keep it under 55mph, and when possible, avoid the super fast speed Freeways/Interstates.  So it takes a little longer to reach the destination, but you will have a nicer drive (less white knuckles), enjoy the trip more, and Save gas/energy.  Some of the best routes are the lesser traveled old highways and backroads.  B)
    cheers
    Great info thanks for sharing that. I looked into this a bit and found one other major difference too - the Tabs in Europe are spec'd significantly lighter than ours.  The 400 for instance - it weighs in at 2200 pounds with a full tank of water!  And additional payload is just 450lbs for everything else with a max total weight spec of 2650.  How do they do this?  It appears they've cut everywhere - the water tank is only 12 gallons (not 22), the batteries are just 80Ah AGM (not 224), the system is a Truma (not Alde) and there's no A/C, no TV.  Quite a different trailer - very much a 400 "Lite".

The 320 has just a 5 gallon water tank and a 1500lb wet weight. 

Fascinating stuff.  I do really like their bathroom though - a real fixed bathroom sink not the fold-down, but if you want a shower you need to hook into the sink faucet.  Maybe this should be a whole new thread lol.  Here's the link where I found the specs and photos:

https://www.springbankleisure.com/specs.html
  • Options
    In Europe and UK, RV trailers have two gross and cargo weight ratings, one low, referenced above, and one an upgraded certificate.  Same trailer, no suspension changes, just upgraded bits.  The ratings are kept low, to allow smaller vehicles to tow the trailers, and increase sales base.  You pay extra for the upgraded rating, which increases the cargo weight limits.  Mostly a numbers game.

Driving or towing larger RVs in EU/Uk requires a special driver’s license also, which keeps trailer ratings downgraded.
     Cheers