Stablizer Modification

The stablizers on my 320 don’t really reach the ground.  This could be by design since some campgrounds “require” some type of pad under the stablizer foot in order to minimize damage to the campground surface.  I purchased 4 solid lawnmower wheels for a few dollars and attched them to the stablizer feet giving them an extra inch as well as some cushion effect.  I had to drill some holes for golts to secure them.  Picture attached.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Shadrax, I think you have an Outback.  None of the stabilizers on the 320 Outback/Boondock models reach the ground due to the pitched axel.  Not sure about the 400 Boondock models.  You have a clever remedy!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Smart!
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We must be lucky because ours reach the ground 90-95% of the time! I have to rely on luck since I was last in line for smarts; of course, that’s why I joined this forum-lots of smarts here!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    If the parking surface is relatively level all of our Boondock feet touch down.  But, nice idea.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Shadrax, great idea.  Perfect size for the stabilizer pad.

Did you secure each wheel with a single bolt, or two bolts?  It looks like one from the photo, but the shading may be making the second hard to see.  Also, did you drill through the stabilizer pad first so that you could then use that hole to mark where to drill through lawnmower wheel?  I like the idea and may use it.  Appears pretty straight forward, but if you encountered any issues or have any tips for this mod, I would appreciate you posting them.  Thanks.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited February 2020
    Like the ingenuity @Shadrax! I used a less innovative method to get my pads to the ground with a pitched axle. I cut 3 pieces of 3/4" exterior plywood into circles, giving about 2 1/4" more reach to the pads. The first photo  shows one of the rear pads in the up position. The white arrows are pointing to the bolts that extend through drilled holes in the plate and the second sheet of plywood.

The second photo shows how all 3 pieces of the plywood are held together with a bolt. The footprint doesn't seem to hold debris.

With over 7K miles since this mod, all seems to be holding up well, I may make something prettier when the weather breaks.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    I made a comparable mod on our 400 as @Shadrax and @CrabTab Tab except I used some scrap synthetic decking material.  The pad hits the ground a little sooner and it keeps the metal foot out of the mud. Sorry no pictures as Pe@rl is tucked away for the winter.  Nice to see great minds running in similar directions!
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    I like the material solution you used there @DanManz just as much as @Shadrax's. I'm done testing my concept/prototype and may need to switch to one of your solutions for the finished, pretty model.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022