Options

400 Clam Shell

2»

Comments

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    Personally, I'd never buy a camper where the only kitchen is a clamshell. I want to be able to cook indoors for breakfast and when the weather is bad. We carry a roll top table, a small Coleman grill and a one burner Coleman stove for outdoor cooking. The table has plenty of room for prep. Those items take very little room in the underbed storage area that's accessible from outside our 400. What I most would like to see is bigger tanks for water and wastewater. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I think the best solution for the TaB CS, is to make it a little longer and have the bunk split and go front to back, with the option to fill in the center for a double bed.  When we camp, we prefer two bunks,  to one large one that requires one to crawl over the other.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Totally agree..having had a T@g Max xl...love the clamshell design...even though it's a smaller bed it is doable for us...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    nbhmsnbhms Member Posts: 6
    Deb55 said:
    Personally, I'd never buy a camper where the only kitchen is a clamshell. I want to be able to cook indoors for breakfast and when the weather is bad. We carry a roll top table, a small Coleman grill and a one burner Coleman stove for outdoor cooking. The table has plenty of room for prep. Those items take very little room in the underbed storage area that's accessible from outside our 400. What I most would like to see is bigger tanks for water and wastewater. 
    We owned a camper for 10+ years with an indoor kitchen.  I think in that time I could probably count the number of times we cooked indoors on one hand.  And not use all my fingers.  

Just different preferences I guess.  When it's raining we cook under the awning.  And on cold mornings we like to get up and start a fire and drink our coffee or tea next to that.

I can certainly see how some people would want an indoor kitchen (and we fully expected to use ours when we bought it), but for us, the way we camp, it's just wasted space.

It's one of the reasons we got rid of the camper and went back to tenting.  Now we're getting older and we'd like a better bed, and a kitchen that is "already set up" when we arrive at the camp site.

The clamshell would be perfect if it had a bigger bed.  And if it had a 12v fridge instead of a Yeti cooler, but looking in the forums there seems to be ways to retrofit something like our ARB camp fridge into it.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The new TaB CS-S has a 58x71 inch sleeping area, the cam shell galley has a 12VDC compressor fridge, and the fresh water is 19-gal, with a 18-gal grey tank.  Toilet is a cassette type, so not black tanks to dump.
    see: https://nucamprv.com/tab-cs-camper/
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Concept Design for a 400 CS

I've had a ClamShell for 10 years now and have used it heavily. I love it, but there are things that I would like to see changed.  In fact I just created a couple of YouTube videos highlighting (1) what has worked and what hasn't with my ClamShell, (2) what's available on the market today contrasted with the old, and (3) a concept design for a 400 CS (that's what is most pertinent here).

There are two videos:
        a short one minute version, which is just a teaser really:
           https://youtu.be/997DbBKXpWY 
       and a long (53 min) version, which contains all the details (the concept design starts at 40:34):
           https://youtu.be/wwTWaTAOgIk

I hope T@B designers have a good think over this!  ;)