Options

Front Platform Side Propane Tank Mount

db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
edited February 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I'd like to carry a spare 20lb tank (or smaller) on the front platform (2015 Outback).  For our last trip I strapped one in a milk crate to the platform and ran a cable lock through everything.  I'd like something a bit more elegant.  I'm not seeing anything searching for RV tank mounts or off road mounts.  Anyone carry a spare on the front platform?  The tank is mainly for a fire pit, but also emergency backup to the one in the tub.

FWIW,  we just spent a week skiing with the T@b, after 5 nights using the Alde in 20 degree temps, fridge, and stove, we'd used 2.4 gallons of propane.  Could have made it the last few nights, but I wanted to be safe, and it was a good check of our usage.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I did a search looking for a good tank support for the front tongue, several were available, one stainless steel, with partial cage.  Good ones were pricey, around $125-200.  
    See https://powertank.com/products/propane-tank-bracket-for-20-lb-steel-bbq-propane-tank-power-tank
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Thanks @Denny16 , that's what I'm looking for.  Man, you think for $175 they could throw in a lock! :)

Stainless or aluminum would be preferable,  came home from this trip covered in road salt.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @db_cooperA Timely Topic

I'm also considering placing a spare propane tank on the Outback Platform. Am thinking a 5#, 1.2 gallon, 8-inch diameter would be good.  Some reserve fuel while boondocking with cooking, Alde, Fridge running would be nice to have.

The 5# is of course lighter than a 20# but the empty tanks cost 2X a 20#, mounting brackets are slightly cheaper.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ShadraxShadrax Member Posts: 22
    I bought this rack at Amazon and bolted it to the propane/battery box.  I spent 2 months traveling thru Canada and Alaska to the arctic circle and never needed the second tank so removed it.
  • Options
    @db_cooper ;  I've finalized on adding a 5# propane bottle.
    Did consider the small Coleman Stove bottles which are easy to store and large enough to keep the stove cooking but have too small a gas volume to run the Alde.   Also ruled out a second 20# bottle as overkill for my needs.

As part of adding the 5# bottle, will be changing to a Group-27 AGM battery and shifting my small gas generator/invertor to the Outback Platform from the tow vehicle.  Had hoped to moved the rigid solar panels instead of generator but could not come up with a sane arrangement.

Parts are now on-order.  Expect final to look something like:
    Another goal was to keep the Outback Rack Weight Distribution, wheel-2-wheel, near the original single 20# and Group-24 battery.  By shifting the battery out of the tub and using the 5# bottle in the tub the results are promising.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    @db_cooper ;  I've finalized on adding a 5# propane bottle. . . .
    Parts are now on-order.  Expect final to look something like:
    Grp-27 Battery Box is mounted.
    5# Propane Tank now in Tub.
    5# Tank Pictures.