Options

HOW LONG FOR SERVICE

I took my 400 in for warranty work 12 days ago and the dealer has yet to perform the service.  I made an appointment with them approximately 10 days before taking it in on our agreed upon date.  Is this normal for RV dealers or do I have a problem with the one I am using?  This is my first experience with an RV warranty issue and I feel like we are being put on the back burner.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    From what I have read, delays are not unusual.  I think it is best to clarify upfront how long they anticipate keeping the Tab.  Call them and ask about their timeline.  You may decide to take it elsewhere.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    When I initially communicated with them I asked the timeline questions.  They responded “a few days”.  Well a few days to me is less than a week.  Now that they have it their level of communication has dropped off significantly and we have reservations starting this coming weekend.  I will start to apply pressure.
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    what kind of work did you need?   what was wrong?
  • Options
    Power converter cooling fan failed, switch on toilet exhaust failed, drawer retainer failed.  Not a lot of issues, but seems it could be accomplished much quicker.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    They may be waiting on parts from NuCamp?
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    could be so.    i had a some small issues in the past,   i new i could handle it myself,   nucamp just sent me the parts and installed it myself.   i found that it was lest time consuming then taking the trailer in and out 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    Very common in my experience.  Get used to it and be surprised if you get something ever done in a few days. Do as much work as you're comfortable with yourself. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    bergger said:
    Very common in my experience.  Get used to it and be surprised if you get something ever done in a few days. Do as much work as you're comfortable with yourself. 
    Thanks.  I would normally do all the work myself if not covered under warranty.  I will have to allow more time if I want it done by a dealer.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Run. Fast. The other way. You should refuse to accept substandard service. Full stop. Your time and energy is at least as important as theirs...more actually. You're the customer after all and while it may be warranty work, you've paid for it...in advance. Unannounced in person mtg.  with Srvc Mgr/Owner with ultimatum on completion date or you go elsewhere and notify NuCamp and write a review on forums, Yelp, FB. etc. It doesnt matter what the repairs are. Theres no excuse for ongoing delays and lack of communication. You have to be your best, most vocal advocate or you'll get shuffled to the bottom of the deck. OK...soapbox back under the desk. 😉
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    AirBoss said:
    Run. Fast. The other way. You should refuse to accept substandard service. Full stop. Your time and energy is at least as important as theirs...more actually. You're the customer after all and while it may be warranty work, you've paid for it...in advance. Unannounced in person mtg.  with Srvc Mgr/Owner with ultimatum on completion date or you go elsewhere and notify NuCamp and write a review on forums, Yelp, FB. etc. It doesnt matter what the repairs are. Theres no excuse for ongoing delays and lack of communication. You have to be your best, most vocal advocate or you'll get shuffled to the bottom of the deck. OK...soapbox back under the desk. 😉
    That is my plan for today.  Thanks for the support.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    If this is your first follow-up since dropping it off harsh tactics should be reserved for later. Drop in unannounced to see how it's going and politely explain that you need your rig back for a planned event. If you don't like the response or if you think that things do not meet your expectations you can move on to the scorched earth approach.... but don't start there.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @JCALD
    As a matter of curiosity:
    1. How far away from you is your dealer?
    2. Is your dealer primarily a big-rig dealer selling mainly large trailers and fifth-wheels with a few nuCamp products to round out his line or is the nuCamp line a significant portion of his inventory?
    3. Is he a large dealership with a dedicated service operation or a smaller operation with a "maintenance guy."
  • Options
    The NuCamp dealer I am using for this warranty work is about 30 miles from me.   This is not the dealer I purchased from (which is 250 miles away) but I have attempted to buy from them more than once.  When we were looking specifically for a new or used 2019 Tab 400 they did not have any and could not find any they could procure for a fair price. They are a large dealer that handles many brands of RV trailers.  They do have a dedicated maintenance/repair operation.  My contact this morning was not the first contact, but was cordial.  I got a good response and we should have it back on Thursday of this week, although I am not sure they would have completed it this week without the push.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    JCALD said:
    The NuCamp dealer I am using for this warranty work is about 30 miles from me.   This is not the dealer I purchased from (which is 250 miles away) but I have attempted to buy from them more than once.  When we were looking specifically for a new or used 2019 Tab 400 they did not have any and could not find any they could procure for a fair price. They are a large dealer that handles many brands of RV trailers.  They do have a dedicated maintenance/repair operation.  My contact this morning was not the first contact, but was cordial.  I got a good response and we should have it back on Thursday of this week, although I am not sure they would have completed it this week without the push.
    Good to hear there's a better than 50/50 chance for this week! We each have our own experiences RE: such things. Mine has been that under such circumstances, you simply must be a pain in the neck. It's one thing if there are extenuating circumstances that prohibit their performance. It's quite another to not communicate with a customer and establish an firm expectation of service. I've found that being over-communicative and requiring a firm date and price on such things, in writing, goes a long way in avoiding misunderstandings and ensuring a timely and satisfactory outcome. Be Your Champion...Champion Your Cause. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop