Options

Broken decorative colored moulding

FrankonsandFrankonsand Member Posts: 19
Shaking down our new tab only to find that colored side moulding broke over the winter...no contact just " sprung " from tension in how it was installed. Duct taped it down and contacted the dealer about a warranty repair. Really wondering how it happened. The TV was outdoors all winter with a cover from the little guy shop on to keep the snow off. Typical Colorado winter with wild temperature swings...wonder if that was the cause..Anyone else see this?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Got a pic?
    I fled the MN winter so my T@B was spared the severity
  • Options
    Sure! The top is the seam, the one to the right is the break
  • Options
    parrothead0930parrothead0930 Member Posts: 3
    Had the same thing happen - same color-same year - called Pleasant Valley customer service - they sent out replacements immediately - mine cracked on both sides front to back - customer service said the silver trim was defectective (silver trim only) - they said the new trim was a slightly different color but I can't see much difference!
    We live in Cheyenne, Wyoming and were just sick when we took our cover off and saw the cracks but customer service was great at Little Guy.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited June 2015
    I have left a couple of messages at the factory about a similar issue this week.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn- I have that seam too, that one for me is deliberate I think. My break is another six inches from that seam at the top. I visited my dealer, they ordered the part , still waiting going on four weeks....Meanwhile two other cracks suddenly appeared, other side, now lower, both forward and aft. Dealer indicated they would order two more pieces of trim. That makes 3/8 broken for me..no contact!!!  only used our t@b once before noticing the two new breaks. I'm pretty upset, at the mercy of the dealer, little guy very tersely put me off... As I am "on warranty ".
  • Options
    Update on my earlier post - yes they sent out the replacement trim promptly and referred me to a dealer - they would not do the warranty work since I didn't buy from them - Really!!!  I had bought mine in Minnesota since they had a huge selection - virtually every T@B in every color - ended up putting it on my self since the pieces were falling off - 8 hrs. of work with numerous cuss words!!!  No more help from Little Guy - they left me to fend for myself or drive 1200 miles back to the dealer I bought it from - not a happy camper!!!
  • Options
    Wow - First I can't believe a dealer wouldn't help even if you didn't buy from them.
    I'm presuming you were then in communication with LG - What did they specifically say? "No more help from Little Guy" is a little vague.
  • Options

Well, I tried to pull the pieces together and they would not budge. I don't think they are going anywhere.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited July 2015
    Jenn:  I have the same issue as you.  A little more separation.  Happened during the drive home after picking it up from the dealer.  My dealer put me in contact with Ed at Little Guy.  Have not had time this week to communicate with Ed.

Happened on both sides.  I guess the T@B did not like the Phoenix 115 deg F. temps.

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    Andrew, have you done anything to fix it? Mine has more goop left.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Andrew, have you done anything to fix it? Mine has more goop left.
    Not yet.  I am going to talk to Ed first.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Is this goop coming out at the top seams normal?  My new one has a lot of it.  I doesn't look right and kind of worries me about leaks since the top seams don't appear to be sealed.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    Is this goop coming out at the top seams normal?  My new one has a lot of it.  I doesn't look right and kind of worries me about leaks since the top seams don't appear to be sealed.
    From the warranty staff at LG.  I was also directed to contact Ed:

1. There should be a gap between the abs trim pieces, but it should still “line up” 

2. The abs trim pieces are flexible and twist sometimes, but the upclose photos you sent in seem ‘off.’

3. The screws that hold it on are located inside of the keder rail, so that likely rules out anykind of stress/detachment

4. Finally – and I hope this is good news -The black rubber trim as well as the black ABS trim are aesthetic components only.  They have no function except for looks.  I just wanted you to know there is no cause for concern re: leaks.  The extrusion that seals the sidewall and roof is underneath those pieces.

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Then I think mine's okay if there's no leak danger.  The ABS pieces are lined up, just have excess goop coming out at the top which isn't even visible when standing below.  Thanks
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    I bought my T@B Maxx in Minnesota - Elk River RVs - they would be glad to fix the trim - Great representatives for Little Guys!!! - I was referred to Century RV in Longmont Colorado since we are only 70 miles away - Finally got an E-mail from them which stated that they only made appointments for their cumtomers - I forwarded it to customer service at Little Guy that had been great on follow up to get me the parts - that was three weeks ago - to date have not gotten a reply.
  • Options
    parrothead0930 - Not surprised that LG hasn't got back to you, what are they going to say, "yep, what jerks" - Bet they've been in contact with the dealer though.
    Just can't believe a dealer wouldn't do warranty work, gives them a chance to interact with someone that could upgrade in a few years and talk them up to other potential customers - makes no sense.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    jkjenn said:
    I have left a couple of messages at the factory about a similar issue this week.

Jenn - did you ever get this fixed? I just noticed mine is doing the same thing (second time out). plus at the end of the piece that goes to the back is loose (can move the piece around plus you can see where it's rubbed the paint off). I had gotten some clear silicone but it didn't stick/bond - should I shoot something else in that area at the end to bond it? To me it appears the back piece isn't long enough to butt up against the other piece and therefore would have a tighter fit at the back end.

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Michelle, I have not, I need to do this when I have a good sturdy step ladder handy and probably a second set of hands.

• Options
    I may send pics and a note to Ed for suggestions (whether warranty work or perhaps something I can do to that back part so it's not loose). Let us know what you end up doing yourself. I'm open to ideas from you/others.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Michelle, the gap up top in the first picture is not at all unusual.  Mine is the same way and I've seen many others as well.  That trim piece is only decorative and I would think the gap works sort of like a crack in a sidewalk.  It gets expansion and contraction from heat and cold.

The issue at the back end is a different matter.  I've never seen that and don't know whether it could come loose.  Hope Ed can give you some answers.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG said:
    Michelle, the gap up top in the first picture is not at all unusual.  Mine is the same way and I've seen many others as well.  That trim piece is only decorative and I would think the gap works sort of like a crack in a sidewalk.  It gets expansion and contraction from heat and cold.

The issue at the back end is a different matter.  I've never seen that and don't know whether it could come loose.  Hope Ed can give you some answers.

I hadn't thought of the expansion issue but it may be so (however I don't think the door-side division is quite as wide. Yea, that back part has me more concerned. Don't think it can actually come off but it definitely needs to be secured somehow (both the plastic piece at the bottom and the rubber seal is loose from the body.  I sent a note w/pics tonight to Ed.

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Michele -- My top piece is about the same as yours -- I just put a little more silicone at the top after having my T@B for two years.  The bottom piece of mine seems OKAY, so maybe you have an issue there.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have same thing and just use duct tape of the same color to cover (red is fairly east to match).  Change out once a year at start of season.
  • Options
    Heard back from Ed - he said he's send me a "handle cover" piece - not sure how that would help (assume it's the piece that goes under the long piece of trim). I've asked him if that's what I'm to change what do I need to adhere the two together. The clear silicone I got didn't do squat - didn't even bond the black weather stripping.

• Options
    Heard back from Ed - he said he's send me a "handle cover" piece - not sure how that would help (assume it's the piece that goes under the long piece of trim). I've asked him if that's what I'm to change what do I need to adhere the two together. The clear silicone I got didn't do squat - didn't even bond the black weather stripping.

Michele, I can't tell from your photos, but on the other side of the handle trim piece there should be a screw that helps hold the long trim piece in place.  I've taken a picture of mine, both front and back of the T@B to show what I'm talking about.  Maybe that screw has come loose?  Also, caulk is not too good for holding plastic that has any strain on it.  Shoo goo is the product most recommend.  Won't take much.  Its purpose is to repair shoes and should hold.  There are several places that sell it, but I know that my local Wal-Mart has it hanging on a card rack back in the shoe department.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks Larry - mine looks different - I don't have a screw that holds the long piece down. If you look at the picture I posted, the only screw is for the piece that goes over the handle. It appears the long piece just butts up/meets at the end whereas yours has the screw. Perhaps they changed the design. But I will get some Shoe Goo right away - glad to know it adheres plastic together!

• Options
    Larry - you mean the screw in near the back kedar rail? I'll take a look next time I'm at the storage place.

• Options
    Michele, the screw is on the other side of the trim piece -- right below the keder rail.  Your pictures and mine are on the opposite side.  It's just a shot in the dark, but might be worth taking a look at.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Larry - will do. Heard back again from Ed and he said the long piece doesn't glue to the handle end piece. So I bet you're correct in that the screw was loose and it's moved around creating the paint scrapes. He's sending me a new handle piece anyway so I hope it's an easy change. If not, I've been authorized to get it fixed locally and get reimbursed. So far, I'm loving the customer service by LG!