Options

Air8 vs. Cool Cat Decibel Comparison

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
Now that our 2020 400 has become my teleworking office, we’ve had two back to back days here in TN that temps are in the high 70s/low 80s, and I’ve turned on my air conditioning to bring the inside temperature down.  I have also discovered I have to turn off the Air8 for anyone to hear me on the telephone or through our video conferencing on the laptop.

I am curious to hear (no pun intended) about decibel levels from 400 owners with the Cool Cat.  Knowing that smartphone decibel meters are not the most accurate, it would still be an interesting comparison . I measured mine with the dB Meter app for iOS, standing between the kitchen sink and the bathroom door, holding the phone at the height of the kitchen counter.  Fan was on the high setting. My reading was 78 decibels.  400 Cool Cat owners, what do you show?

Comments

• Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    We've been in the upper '80's here in SE Louisiana and I've been running the coolcat. I have had several teleconferences and no problem hearing. I'm using my iphone on speaker phone sitting on the table. I haven't measured dB. I have an old radioshack soundmeter I'll break out.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    No experience with the Air 8.  We do run the fan on low in the on position versus the auto position when using the A/C.  We find the cool cat cycles in the A/C position a lot and it is noticeable. By leaving the fan in the on position constantly, we do not notice the A/C cycling.  The noise level is not really a problem for us and with the fan always on, the air circulates for a consistent temp.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Using my analog sound level meter, I got the following readings:

• Background (i.e., nothing running):  ~51dB
    • Factory installed vent at level 1:  57dB
    • Vent and coolcat a/c:  72dB
    I placed the sound meter on a stand on the table where I'm working. It's the same stand I place my iphone on for conference calls.
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    What was the level with just the CoolCat AC running without the ceiling fan?
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    The same. There was no discernible difference with the fan off and only a/c.

For the baseline reading, I want to point out that I had the door open with screen closed. So the background included birds, wind, etc.
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Wow.  If accurate that’s a substantial difference in a/c noise between the Cool Cat and Air8 (72 dB vs. 78 dB).  Mind you, not a scientific experiment, but a 6 dB difference is significant since for each 10 dB increase, the loudness is doubled.
  • Options
    I think where you're measuring from can make a difference too. I tried to be consistent and took the measurements from the same place in the same orientation.

Here's the measurement with the fan on one and the a/c cycled off (just fan blowing). Almost 70dB:

Here's the measurement when the a/c cycled on. About 73dB:

SE Louisiana
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2020
    Apologies in advance.  This is slightly off topic.

I replaced the Danby A/C in my T@B a couple years back.  Got an LG 6500BTU instead of 5000BTU for the TX heat for $160 on sale, and it's also more efficient since it has about the same draw on the inverter as the old one.  And it has a remote and Eco and Dry mode.  Holding up to rolling earthquake travel loads just fine so far.

So since we have brownouts or rolling blackouts at the stix n brix, I thought I'd replace an old window A/C with a super quiet (44dBA on low) and super efficient (officially 13.8?) 9500BTU model I can run off solar or a small generator.

Just got it in last week. It's amazing.  On the Amazon page Q&A someone said it can go up to 690W at full power, which would be great.  But I see only 5-10W on standby and it slowly ramps up to a max of 500W max so far on my KillaWatt on Cold and Fans setting.  Maybe I'll see 690W as well once it gets above 100F outside.  No clunking of a compressor ever... just a gradual increase of the fan sound.

If it only fit a 320 upper perch, it would be fantastic for a camper too.  Sadly it's pretty deep and 66lbs heavy.  Maybe if I buy a used 400 it would be a possible swap.  It even has WiFi controls so you can turn it back on when you're twenty minutes away from getting back to the camper.  And whisper quiet.  Or at least low voice quiet.

LG, LW1019IVSM Energy Star 9,500 BTU 115V Dual Inverter Window Air Conditioner
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V48X7HG
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 378
    edited November 2021
    Hi,

Revisting an old topic.  We have a TAB 320 (first year) with the Air8, how do most people run theirs (I know it's winter in most areas).  I also think it's a bit loud.   That is the only thing I sort of don't like after our first year. I've been thinking about getting one of those sound deadening/blocking blankets to cover it.  I emailed Air8 and they said no problem as long as the vents or air in takes are not blocked (which are on the bottom).  Thoughts?

Thank you
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    Hi,

Revisting an old topic.  We have a TAB 320 (first year) with the Air8, how do most people run theirs (I know it's winter in most areas).  I also think it's a bit loud.   That is the only thing I sort of don't like after our first year. I've been thinking about getting one of those sound deadening/blocking blankets to cover it.  I emailed Air8 and they said no problem as long as the vents or air in takes are not blocked (which are on the bottom).  Thoughts?

Thank you
    It's white noise to me. Truthfully, I think it is quieter than the window style AC in my 2015 T@b (Fridgidaire model.) I couldn't be on a conference call with the Frigidaire and I can with the Air8. It's hard for any AC to not be somewhat loud in a space that small.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014