Options

Filter location on Air8 on T@B 400’s

SystemSystem Posts: 180
This discussion was created from comments split from: T@B 400 - Where Is The Air Conditioner Filter?.

Comments

• Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Does anyone know where the Air Conditioner filter is on a 2020 400, and how do I remove it to check and/or clean it? I know it's an Elwell Air8 unit under the bed, not in front, and I can see an aqua colored part, but don't want to break anything. It doesn't look easy to remove. I watched the "Airforce Guy's" video but still am not sure exactly which part I need to remove and how to get it off.  :s
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    HBarryHBarry Member Posts: 25
    Exactly the same question I have Amazonica on the 2020 400. Unfortunately haven't come up with a definitive answer yet. Based on Truma documentation for a very very similar unit the filter(s) are located underneath the 3 cool air ducts. There are seemingly two filters: a fluff filter and immediately behind it a particle filter. In the AIR8 booklet I received with the trailer on page 4 Figure 3 the two filters are shown as items 10 and 11. In the text that accompanies that booklet there is no mention of those two items. Nothing about maintenance required of the filters! From the Truma documentation I found is included this:

The fluff filter (n) must be cleaned at regular intervals (at least 2 x per annum) and changed if required (part no. 40090-64600).
    We recommend replacing the particle filter (p) every year at the beginning of the season (part no. 40090-58100).

The cold air ducts must be removed before replacing the filters. Before replacing the fluff filter (n), release the clip (k) and the sensor (s) using a flat-bladed screwdriver. Pull the fluff filter (n) a little way forward at the recesses at the top edge and remove from above. Then remove particle filter (p) from the front. Re-fit the clip and the sensor in the same position during assembly.

Not an easy process when you consider that that the ducting is "caulked" to the AIR8 at the connection points! Where you could get the Truma filters is also a mystery to me but I haven't really dug yet. I'm a bit shocked that in the AIR8 incarnation of this AC that both Elwell and Nucamp seem to have ignored the need to deal with the filters. Someone tell me I'm wrong!

2020 Tab 400 BDL with Solar
    2013 Tacoma TRD with towing package
    Vermont
  • Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    I'm also curious about this, as would hate to have to spend three hours to tap a filter out...
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2020
    A good place to start would be to send an email to customercare@nucamprv.com. 

With the factory shutdown, I’m not sure who is available and who isn’t, but the staff behind this email address will direct questions to the correct people. And it’s a weekend, so please be patient.

Please be sure to post the answer as I’m sure others will want to know. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank you Verna. I sent Customer Service an email. Will post what I find out.
  • Options
    I contacted Customer Service over the weekend and had a quick reply from Jordan today:

Here is a video by Paul Chamberlain that covers the filters in the AIR8: https://youtu.be/a_jKy1cTSKw?t=406

Replacement filters can be purchased through our dealers. You can reach out to nuparts@nucamprv.com to get the exact part numbers for those.

Unfortunately the video is for the 320 which has a totally different installation of the AIR8 into the trailer than the install into the 400. The video will give you a good understanding of filter location and removal and in the 320 there is lot's of room to access and remove the filters. The 400 is a whole other ball game. The filters run essentially the entire width of the AIR8.  Right side access to them is blocked by the adjacent wall. Left side access is blocked by the inverter and the 3 ducts heading left.  Top access is blocked by the 3 ducts. My observation is that there is no way to remove the filters without removing at least 2 and probably 3 of the ducts. The ducts appear to be tie-wrapped and silicon caulked to the AIR8. How easy it would be to cut through the caulk without damaging the duct is a question. If this is in fact basically the same unit as the Truma I mentioned earlier the recommendation of cleaning the fluff filter twice a year and replacing the particle filter once a year is totally impractical. b407driver's comment about 3 hours to change a filter might be an understatement.
    As an aside, the center duct appears to be partially crushed between the AIR8 and the front wall/wire harness of the compartment. Is this common I wonder? Partial explanation for the poor cooling performance?

Vermont
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    That is too tight of an installation, and is probably part of the reason for the poor performance, especially the tight turns on the ducts. The AC unit should have been moved back a few more inches to allow more room in front, like it is on the 320 in Paul’s video. Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @HBarry, please contact customercare@nucamprv.com and please tell them again that you have a 400, not a 320. They should have the information. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Follow up with Jordan of Customer service today got me this:

Yes, for the 2020 TAB 400 you'll most likely need to remove the ducts in order to access the filter. 
    If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to our in-house tech at tech@nucamprv.com or to the manufacturer, Elwell. They may be able to give you further direction if you don't want to bring it to a dealer for maintenance.

I've asked the Nucamp inhouse tech about this and will update when I hear back.

Denny 16 the AIR8 is flush with the back wall between the battery compartment and AIR compartment. No more room!

Vermont
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, I know, so the battery should have been left in its original position on the Pax side compartment, and this would have allowed the necessary room.  This would also allow easier access to the batteries.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Have a reasonable solution to getting to the filters. When you look at  the top of the the AIR8 you will see that immediately behind the ducts there is a separation line in the molded housing of the AIR8. I will call it the manifold cover. This cover can be removed from the AC by lifting it gently from the front (adjacent to the ducts) edge of the cover. It is simply press fit in place. No screw, latches etc.
    When you lift the you will see exposed a manifold that feeds the 3 duct hoses.
    The 3 hoses are connected to a plate that can be simply slid up vertically and then moved to the driver side of the trailer.
    With the ducts removed and positioned out of the way there is complete and easy access to the filters. To remove the green plastic prefilter there are two release latches along the top edge of the filter that when depressed allow the prefilter to be pulled forward. A thin screwdriver can help the pulling forward process.

The white particle is immediately behind the prefilter and pulls forward easily with a little help from a thin screwdriver.
    The prefilter is marked with P/N 1002040144 and the particle filter marked with P/N 1002040143. I was told by Nucamp Customer Service that these can be ordered from the dealer. No clue what lead time might be.
    As an aside I did raise the wire harness that cross's the trailer in front of the AIR8. It was impinging on one of the ducts a small amount. Now it's not.
    Hope this helps.
    Vermont
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing, and figuring it out for the other owners, @HBarry!  This is how we can help each other. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Very nice write up @HBarry. Thanks for sharing!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thank you @HBarry. I did contact NuCamp, was politely and quickly referred to Elwell. contacted them, and received the following response:

Good morning Monica,

I hope you are staying safe as well. Within the next few days I will get you a pdf on how to service the air filter in the Air8.

It is a bit hard to get a hold of resources in this time but I will be working on that for you.

Thank you,

Josh Elwell

Elwell Service Department

I will post that pdf when I receive it, but HBarry's solution seems perfect.

• Options
    It will be interesting to see what you get from them Amazonica. I think it's key to realize that the real question is how to service the AIR8 filters when the AIR8 is installed in the 400 where access is extremely limited. To my mind that's really a question that Nucamp should be answering since they choose how to install the AIR8. One of many questions for Nucamp on the AIR8 I guess!
    Vermont
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Update: Not exciting, still haven't heard back from Elwell, but to be fair, I haven't bothered them since initial contact during this time.

BUT - I did try @HBarry's solution and it works perfectly. I did not need tools, just gently pried off the top (blackish gray) piece, removed the tri-hose assembly by pulling straight up, and then the aqua-green pre-filter. I should note that the 'body' of this unit feels like a styrofoam cooler. I was careful as my guess is, if bent it would easily break. The inner filter (MicronAir 1002040142 19.02.22) Was very clean. The outer pre-filter screen was pretty lint covered (I have a wonderful pup). Gently cleaned the pre-filer screen with my fingers and carefully placed everything back.

Now my quest begins to see if the inner filter is washable, and/or source a replacement. I will still post if/when I hear from Elwell's Tech Department.