Cell Boosters

Have any of you had any experience with cell boosters on your T@B?

I have one that is designed for cars, it had a magnetic mount antenna for the roof of your car. The magnet certainly isn't going to work on the roof of the T@B, I usually find that the antenna needs metal underneath it to help radiate the waves properly. The T@B roof may not do that well.

We camp at a spot where the cell signal is marginal at best outside, and usually not workable inside the T@B. Was thinking I could throw the cell booster antenna up on the roof.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Verna gave me this idea.  She had success by placing the magnetic antenna on the jack post.  I have done this several times now and had better reception.  You can also place it on a steel cookie sheet attached to a painter's pole.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • OmniphilOmniphil Member Posts: 50
    Verna gave me this idea.  She had success by placing the magnetic antenna on the jack post.  I have done this several times now and had better reception.  You can also place it on a steel cookie sheet attached to a painter's pole.
    Steel cookie sheet is genius, I can just throw that on the roof. Thanks!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    What I finally settled on is to attach the antenna to a horseshoe. Yup, leave it inside and it gives me as good of reception as outside!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I use a WeBoost suction mount that has the metal needed on it. It has worked fine for me. You can also get aerial directions L mounts that require knowing which way to point the antenna but do not require the metal.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I believe the T@B roof is aluminum sheet? If so, aluminum is an excellent ground plane for an antenna, just not a magnetic one. I use a cellular modem with a roof (magnetic mount) antenna. I took a bit of 3M double sided sticky tape and stuck a zinc body washer to the roof. It doesn't make any marks, leaves no residue and has a great ground plane. I have better reception in the trailer than I get with my cel phone out anywhere..
    WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, the NuCamp TaBs have a aluminum roof, one single sheet rolled out on the top from the front to the back.  Only the sides are Azdel fiberglass sandwich material.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.