Options

More questions than answers.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    That confirms one of two the possible locations,the other being on the bunk side of this panel.
    Glad you got it sorted.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    BrianZ said:
    Denny16 said:
    Correct, disconnect the red battery connection first, an reconnect last.  
    Are you sure?
    I've often seen the mnemonic statement that the red battery cable is positive like the marines, who are always the first ones in and the last ones out.

No, you are right, I was thinking of house wiring setups.  RV and Auto procedure is to disconnect the battery ground first, to prevent any inadvertent shorts when a wire hits a metal ground surface, as automotive wiring uses the vehicle chassis as a ground connection leg.
    So a good safety procedure to follow.

That said, on RV isolated ground systems, where the trailer frame is not a house battery ground connection (trailer lights from TV are a chassis ground) somthe house battery is isolated.  With thenTV not connected a short to frame ground is not an issue.  So you could disconnect Red/positive first, and reconnect it back first, followed by the Black negative battery cable last.
    The main issue is you do not want to arc a hot positive to ground connection, or the other way round. 
    cheers
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Denny16, have you read this?..

https://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/99441
    A short to the T@B frame definitely became a big issue in this case when a wrench shorted the battery pos terminal to tub frame & melted the main ground wire; which could have been prevented by removing the battery ground cable first.  Only a quick thinking response to the smoking wire prevented a fire & personal injury.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    For my own personal safety, this is how I remember what I need to do when disconnecting/re-connecting my battery:

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I corrected my first post, which was aimed at a TaB 400, where the battery is no where near the frame, it is under the rear bunk, on a plywood floor surrounded by plywood.  Yes, for max safety, disconnect the negative/ground cable first.
    cheers
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,008
    NuCamp got back to me about the improper install of the BMV-712.  They were very apologetic, embarrassed and angry over it.  Let's just say they made things right with us and we did not even ask for anything, only wanted them to be made aware of the issue. Amazing customer service. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Yes, yes it is!
    cheers
  • Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    I had a similar issue with my 2021 400. My solar controller was reading "0" watts and no current even on sunny days. It took me a while to find the controller. It was behind the drawer under the wardrobe (on the shower wall). I pulled the solar panel leads from the controller and tested with a multimeter and got "0" volts. I spoke with Creed and he had me pull the panel in the shower to check leads running to the solar panel. I pulled them and they were not even connected.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana
  • Options
    Well, if you are getting a no voltage reading on a multi-meter, the only options are defective solar panel (not likely) or an open circuit, no connection to the panel.  Glad you got it sorted 
    cheers 
  • Options
    cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Yep. Creed was very helpful, of course. I didn't know where to access all of the wiring. There's the small panel in the shower cubby that gave me access to the wires from the controller (and seemingly every other wire in the trailer). And when we found out it hadn't been connected, he guided me through removing the radio so I could gain access to the pigtails coming from the solar panel. The radio is a very tight fit and took some prying to get it to slide out.
    2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
    2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
    SE Louisiana