5.37-amp Phantom Draw!!??

I have  5.37-amp phantom draw in my 2018 T@B 400 that's driving me crazy!  I've disconnected the line to my DC fuse box/charger converter and it is still there, so it's not coming from anything tied to the fuse box.  I suspect the emergency brake, I pulled the plug on the emergency brake controller on the hitch bar to engage the emergency brake, this should cause an increase in the amps drawn, but there was no change, just 5.37-amps going somewhere.  Could my emergency brake relay be broken and permanently engaged?  Any other ideas? 

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Is your inverter wired to your battery or to the converter?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    It would be unlikely that the emergency brake controller has failed.  It is just a contact switch held in the off position by the pin.  However, you can check to see if it has shorted out by ensuring the pin is properly seated, the battery disconnect is on, and then try to move the trailer.  If the emergency brake controller has failed the brakes will be locked.
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    In any case, 5.37 amps is a pretty hefty load.  That suggest you have a short somewhere.  How are you determining that draw?
  • RovnBloodsRovnBloods Member Posts: 8
    jkjenn said:
    Is your inverter wired to your battery or to the converter?
    Inverter is wired to battery...when I disconnect + wire to inverter, the 5.37-amp is still there.
    In any case, 5.37 amps is a pretty hefty load.  That suggest you have a short somewhere.  How are you determining that draw?
    I have a Victron BMV-700.

edited April 2020
    I have 5 wires coming off the + bus bar of my battery bank...1) DC Fuse Box/Charger/Convert with 60 amp circuit breaker, 2) MPPT Solar Controller with 30 amp circuit breaker, 3) 1200 watt inverter with 150 amp circuit breaker, 4) Alternator/Emergency Brake, 5) Victron BMV 700...I tripped all the circuit and disconnect the alternator/emergency brake and still 5.37 amps!  Eliminates the emergency brake...Perhaps a bad circuit breaker (possibly to the inverter) or maybe my Victron BMV 700 has gone bad?
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited April 2020
    Do you have or know someone who has a clamp on amp probe.   

I agree with verna's speculation......  trip the breaker on the inverter by pushing the red or yellow button and see if you are at zero or not.

I also wonder if the victron is reading accurately and to rezero it.   but without a second source to verify the dc current there is no way of knowing for sure. It could be a volt meter with a built in amp meter....just becareful as most of those are limited to 10 AMPS

you can manipulate the victron through the app,  but be careful doing so as you may impact the accuracy of your unit with incorrect adjustments.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    edited April 2020
    Cbusguy said:
    Do you have or know someone who has a clamp on amp probe.   

I agree with verna's speculation......  trip the breaker on the inverter by pushing the red or yellow button and see if you are at zero or not.

I also wonder if the victron is reading accurately and to rezero it.   but without a second source to verify the dc current there is no way of knowing for sure. It could be a volt meter with a built in amp meter....just becareful as most of those are limited to 10 AMPS

you can manipulate the victron through the app,  but be careful doing so as you may impact the accuracy of your unit with incorrect adjustments.
    I tripped all the breakers AND disconnected all wires from my + bus bar, leaving only the Victron power connection (see photo) and still 5.39 amps (see photo)!  Leaves only the Victron, so I reset to factory and re-entered the data for my Battle Born batteries, and that did the trick!!  With only the Victron wired in, a got a 0.19 amp draw (see photo)...still high for a battery monitor, but much better that 5.39!!  Thank you Cbusguy, falcon1970, verna, and jkjenn!!  Very much appreciate all the help and insights!!

• TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Your Victron, assuming it has the correct settings, needs time to “learn” your system.  When I initially connected mine, it was showing a 3-4 amp draw, but after a couple of days, that went to 0.2 amps.   If you have an independent way to measure the draw, is it saying the same thing?  Last resort, if you can confirm with another independent source that the draw is not there, you can zero out the Victron after disconnecting the battery.
    I just upgraded my system to lithium batteries, so I think I'll give the Victron some time to learn my new system (used Battle Born recommendations for the Victron settings, they have great videos!).  Thank you TNOutback!