Options

320S Boondock / Outback Torsion Axle ?

B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
edited April 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Does anyone happen to know the NuCamp part number for the Torsion Axle that is used on the 320S Boondock / Outback  ? 
Even better yet ........does anyone know the Dexter part number for this ? 

Looking to add a few inches of lift to our standard 2019 320S for more ground clearance and replacing the axle seems to be the best way to do it.

Thanks !  
2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

Comments

• Options
    Thanks, I have seen that thread , and the part number listed is not applicable . Its. not a Dexter part number that I can find anywhere  . I have been searching a lot for a part number and/or source for this axle , but have been finding nothing really . There are some great write ups on the swapover, but they all come short of including the actual part number of the axle . 

I will prob just have to inquire with Elsie to get the NuCamp part # , but was trying to avoid the hassle of dealing with a/dealer/dropshipping/extra time/price mark-up / etc . Would just like to order one online if possible , and get it done, lol . 

Thanks for the links ........

• Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    edited April 2020
    @B0atguy, This is a pic of my 2018 320S Boondock axle PN.
     I hope this helps.

Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    Thanks for the picture, much appreciated !!! 

Here is the weird part , I have found that part number - 6540523 - on a few posts now . Even though it is right on the label as Dexter part # 6540523 , it really isnt ! It must be some internal part number to link that manufactured axle to NuCamp . It does not appear to be a NuCamp part number either . I have been searching for that Dexter 6540523 , and come up with nothing , even in Dexters online axle part numbers ! Its really strange . 

I have an e-mail into Elsie , so will report back what number she gives me . (She is out of the office until 4/24 , so I may not hear back from her till next week . When I get the number, I will contact my dealer (or another dealer) to find out the cost . 

Thanks again for the help ! 

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    edited April 2020
    Dexter's part number is engraved on the axle tube itself.  If you go to the Dexter site you will (eventually) find a manual with a lot of technical info.  Unfortunately that manual includes the entire Dexter line.  Somewhere in there you will find the axles used by nuCamp.  Once you figure out how to interpret all the data you can determine the axle that has the rise you are looking for.  Be aware that the height difference between the regular TAB axle and the Boondock axle is only about 2".  maybe a little less.  Dexter axles are not cheap and that slight difference in height may not be worth the expense of changing an axle.
    I think I have managed to attach the Dexter manual here.  It is a PDF.
  • Options
    Thanks ! From What I have seen , the serial number is engraved on the axle , not the part number ??? 
    I figure the 2" axle difference, and the larger tire size should net about 4 1/2" more ground clearance . That is a pretty good height increase ......... but is the cost worth it ? Not sure .......
    Will wait for Elsie to get back to me, so I can see how much the axle costs . 

• Options
    Just to update - 

I did hear back from Elsie at nuCamp . So for anyone else wondering or searching for the nucamp part number for a 320S Boondock pitched axle .......

It is nuCamp 36-00-1641. It only comes as a full assembly including brakes and hubs . 
    I am going to contact my dealer and check the cost including shipping drop shipped to my address . I am afraid to hear back , lol . 

Will update when I hear back ! 

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    For Background Knowledge Only
    Use for ordering at your own risk
    Believe the 6540523 number on the axle label is the Dexter Work Order.  That work order will contain all the different part numbers that make a full "axle" assembly; axle core,hub type, brake type, etc.

Also expect if one were to order a full replacement axle assembly directly from a trailer shop that can order from Dexter a T@B 320 Boondock Dexter order would be:
    {based on Redneck Trailer Supplies Axle catalog}

Additional ground clearance of the "pitched" Boondock/Outback axle on a T@B 320

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Thanks Muttonchops ! That is quite a detailed explanation of the numbers on the axle . 
    Makes sense now why the 6540523 number really doesnt come up on Google . 
    Wish Dexter would put the actual part number on the axle , but I think its a custom order from nucamp . The bolt pattern /plate that bolts the axle to the nucamp trailer is completely different than the standard Dexter torsion axle that most other RV and/or trailer manufacturers are using. Thats why the simple Dexter axle lift kit will not work on our nucamp tab axles . 

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Well, for anyone interested in an approx. price for a Dexter pitched axle for the 320S , directly from NuCamp ( Still have to go through a Dealer "middle man" , and prices may vary). 
    Directly from NuCamp , the axle, Part # 36-00-1641 for the T@B 320S Boondock (from MY dealer) is $575, plus shipping and tax . 
    I am relatively close to NuCamp (about 5 hours away, so still a little too far to pick it up) , the freight shipped to my door is about $100. Not too bad . 
    With Tax , I am approx $700. and I still have to install it . 
    Note that the axle does include the complete brake assemblies and hubs included . 

One thing I have just though about ...... wondering if the standard 320S 14" wheel uses the same bolt pattern as the 320s Boondock 15" wheel ? Hoping my 14" wheels will bolt onto the new Boondock axle (at least temporarily , until I figure out what I am doing for larger tires) . 
    According to the chart above the wheel bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5 . That should be for standard and pitched axle I would think ? 

• Options
    B0atguy said:
    According to the chart above the wheel bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5 .
    That should be for standard and pitched axle I would think ? 
    "Chart Above" bolt pattern is a guess based on other thread posting which state 5x4.5 on specific trailers.
    However, at least one thread has a post stating not all T@B have same bolt pattern;  post was not clear on this being a Dutchmen to Pleasant Valley build difference or variations at Pleasant Valley (NuCamp).  5 x 4.5 seems most common.

You should measure your wheels and contact NuCamp on what a 'new' axle purchase would use.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I did do a check on my stock 14" wheels  , and they are the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern . (2019 T@B 320s non boondock model) . 
    So, I think they would fit on the boondock axle . We will see I guess ! 

I think @jkjenn was able to use the 14" wheels on her boondock /outback axle upgrade on her 2015 320 ? Think she used 27x8.50r14 tires to finish it off . 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    On a 2019, the wheels for the Standard 320 series and the Boondock Lite are the same and you can put the smaller standard TaB wheel on the  Boondock axle.  I read where an owner used the standard tires in his Boondock trailer when just traveling on the highways, for a smoother ride, and the Boondock wheels/tires when he was going to be going “off paved” roads.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    While I am not versed on the 320,  I did the swap on our 400 myself in our shop.  I contacted a local Dexter dealer and provided numbers I got from NU Camp.  After about 3 weeks my local Dexter dealer contacted me with the info and price.  The Axle is made in Indiana and would take about 3 weeks lead time to produce.  The price was  almost 300$ + freight, more than what I got it from my T@B dealer delivered to my home.  I got it through my NU Camp dealer in around a week.  It took several emails and calls to the Dexter dealer and Dexter the MFG to figure out what I needed.  Apparently the mounting brackets and Not standard.  I changed form the 3500lb to the 3900lb axle in the newer 400's.  My T@B dealer is 300 miles away from us and is great to work with and has always been there when I needed Him!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    atlasb said:
    did the swap on our 400 myself in our shop . . . 
    . . . took several emails and calls to the Dexter dealer and Dexter the MFG to figure out what I needed.  Apparently the mounting brackets and Not standard.
    Before you decided to go with the NuCamp Dealer sourced axle; did you finalize a complete & correct Dexter Axle Assembly Ordering Part Number?      (for a T@B 400 of course )
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I just ordered it from my NuCamp dealer with the NuCamp part number provided from Elsie . It was a pretty easy process , with no guesswork . Figured  it would be way more trouble than its worth, and probably more $$$ than to try an order it from Dexter . Not to mention the fact of possibly getting it wrong  if going directly through Dexter . 
    At least if its coming directly from NuCamp, its pretty much a given that it will be correct . 

Yes, from what I have found, its the mounting flange/bracket that sets this axle apart from 99% of the other manufacturers who are using the same type of Dexter axle . 

Also, NuCamp confirmed that (at least on the 2019 320 models) , the wheel bolt pattern is the same for the standard 14" wheel and the 15" boondock wheel . Its 5 x 4.5 . 

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Mutton chops, The Dexter dealer had a series of calls with Dexter and emails.  I also had emailed Dexter for information.  The Dexter dealer finally came up with a Dexter number and by this time Nu Camp had provided both the NU Camp Number and the Dexter Number.  Dexter did not have in stock and would have to manufacture one for me.  They were real slow in providing any information and had to also follow up with their dealer to get any where with them.  When the dealer quoted the Dexter price it was significantly higher than the price from MY Nu Camp Dealer.  The one problem was shipping.  The axle was shipped to me UPS and was not crated or boxed when I got it.  UPS bounced it between depots for several days saying it was out for delivery then change of delivery date.  When they finally delivered it, the driver was going to drop it off in the ditch in front of our home.  I caught them in time and we backed down to my shop and 3 of us unloaded.  The hubs were wrapped in heavy duty plastic, insulated diaper type material.  Both backing plates were damage from being dropped multiple times and one of the grease caps was gone and the other dinged up.  I straightened the back plates, fixed the damaged grease cap and found another cap to replace the missing one.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Hi @atlasb
    Thanks for all your help on this . I looked at your install thread, and that will help a lot . Thank you ! 

Thanks 

• Options
    Well, just to update - Axle is in hand now . A little beat up from shipping , but ok. The brake backing plates got a little beat up, and one whole brake assembly was missing any packing material . Lots of paint scrapes , but all in all , its in one piece . 

Next, onto the install process . 

Oh, just to confirm - the 14" standard wheel on a 320s DOES fit on the boondock axle . 

• Options
    Install complete ........
    Was fairly simple , and I spent about 3 hours or so doing the swap over . Taking my time, and making sure I kept the process "safe" . Hardest part was trying to get the old axle out. The bottom 2 bolts holes in the frame/axle , are actually locator depressions . Once I pried the axle free from the locator depressions , on both sides of the frame, it dropped right out . Install was a little easier because of the hydraulic jack aiding the axle into the locators . 

Also installed my "space saver" spare tire in the stock 320s location (rear , underneath) , and there is a ton of room back there now . 

Just an FYI - total net height gain was 3.5" .  Will be more once the tire size is increased , but just reinstalling the standard 14" 205/75r14 rims/tires , net gain was 3.5". 
    I am hoping to keep the 14" wheels , so I may go with a 27/8.50R14 tire upgrade size . Not quite as large as the 235/75R15 Boondock size , but bigger than the stock 14"ers . I think @jkjenn is running the 27/8.50R14 size with her Boondock axle upgrade. 

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @B0atguy, I am impressed.  You're a brave man.

Since there are "no dumb questions" on this forum, what are "locator depressions?"  I have a guess as to what they may be, but I am always interested in learning something new.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Bayliss said:
    @B0atguy, I am impressed.  You're a brave man.

Since there are "no dumb questions" on this forum, what are "locator depressions?"  I have a guess as to what they may be, but I am always interested in learning something new.
    Well, definitely not a "technical term", but the best I could come up with , lol. Locator Depressions - ummm, kind of a male-female fit for lack of a better term . =)  

If you look at the 1st picture @atlasb posted above , the bottom two mounting holes on each side of the axle shows what I am talking about. There are dished out areas where the bolts connect the axle to the frame on the lower most points . They were a little bit of a bugger to out of there respective "locators" . All the bolts were removed from the axle, and these depressions still held the axle in place with all of its weight ! In the end,  was no match for a 3' crow bar ! 

• Options
    Got it, @B0atguy.  Thank you.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Actually the technical term may be "Conical Locator" ? 

• Options
    edited June 2020
    O.K. just wanted to post a follow up . 
    Boondock conversion is pretty much finished . 
    Axle has been swapped , and decided to keep the 14" wheels (cause I kinda like them) . Not many options for tires, but settled on a set of 27/8.50 R14 Tires to replace the stockers . Went with Starfire SF510 (made by Cooper Tire) . They are about 1" taller than the stock 205/75 R14 tires and have a more rugged look and tread . The only way to go larger is to upgrade the wheels to 15"ers . 
    Prob NOT going to opt for the Boondock "appearance package plastic bits and pieces as they are hella expensive . (those 4 plastic corner pieces and rear bumper plastic piece are about $700 -$900 !!!) No Thanks, thats more than the axle cost ! 

Anyway , here are some before and after pics .......... Stock 2019 320S to Boondock conversion . 

Before .........

After ..........

• Options
    @B0atguy, we're waiting in suspense for the "after" photo.  It didn't post.   :)

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Hmmm , I can see it fine. Even logged out , cleared my cache and history to double check . I can still see it ? 
    Here is another one to try .........

After #2 - 

• Options
    B0atguy said:
    Boondock conversion is pretty much finished . 
    . . .  NOT going to opt for the Boondock "appearance package plastic bits and pieces as they are hella expensive . (those 4 plastic corner pieces and rear bumper plastic piece are about $700 -$900 !!!) No Thanks, thats more than the axle cost !
    Congrads!

On my factory order unit - - - ordered just the pitched axle, saw no point in paying for the Boondock exterior styling.  The nicer boondock entry handle was not available back in 2017 (model yr-2018) That entry handle is on my wish list.

Suggest you use the term 'pitched axle' or even 'lifted' instead of Boondock for your unit. Like mine you have the axle and front rack but none of the non-functional (or limited use as-in-rear-rack) stuff. But mine does have the 15-inch AT tires :)

• Options
    sanathansanathan Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Instead of replacing the axle with a Boondock axle, has anyone tried a lift kit on the stock axle?
    I'm seeing lift kits for standard Dexter axles like this:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Lippert-Components/LC270682.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96DjmI656gIVwxatBh3rhQwcEAQYBCABEgIKPfD_BwE

• Options
    edited July 2020
    sanathan said:
    Hello,
    Instead of replacing the axle with a Boondock axle, has anyone tried a lift kit on the stock axle?
    I'm seeing lift kits for standard Dexter axles like this:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Lippert-Components/LC270682.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96DjmI656gIVwxatBh3rhQwcEAQYBCABEgIKPfD_BwE

Nope, will not work . Not a "standard" Dexter axle for Nucamp ......... If it were only that easy ! 

Nucamp uses a special Dexter axle for the T@B , that is completely different than a standard Dexter torsion axle . The lift blocks will not work . 
    If you look at @atlasb 's pictures above , you will see the axle has a special mount that has the axle mounting on the "face" of the frame, versus on the bottom of the frame like "cheaper" RV's axles used from Dexter . 

High end , special order axle from Dexter for a High end RV , like a NuCamp !