Options

320S Boondock / Outback Torsion Axle ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    sanathansanathan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response B0atguy, I was hoping to avoid buying a new axle. I saw a mod on a non-Tab forum where someone did a lift with plates that lowered the attachment points, but that must have been a custom job since I have not been able to find a kit like that.

I'll go ahead and get the boondock axle so it stops bottoming out wherever we take it.
  • Options
    JustadudeJustadude Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! Resurrecting this thread since we are going to lift the 320s we just purchased. We plan on taking it up to some pretty big offroad spots here in Colorado. Has anyone tried the 45 degree dropped torsion axle listed above or know if it’s even an option from Dexter/nucamp?
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    The Dexter axle on the TaB trailers has a custom mount, and is offered stock in only the two configurations, normal and the 3-4 inch lift of the Boondock axle.  The higher lift axle would need to be a custom order from Dexter.  That said, the higher you lift the TaB, the higher the center of gravity is raised, and the less stable the trailer is when towed at highway speeds.

If you want to go overland camping, where you can not get a TaB then you need a trailer designed for 4-wheel overland use, with a factory lift, low GVW weight and an overland type articulated hitch.  A Taxa Woolley Bear or Tiger Mouth Boondock editions are one example of an Overland Rig.  The shorter wheel base of these type of trailers (distance between RV rear axle and trailer axle) along with their higher ground clearance increases their angles of approach and departure, along with the articulating hitch.  

That said, I looked up the specs on a Tiger Moth Overland and discovered it’d departure angle was 22-degrees, the same departure angle as a TaB 400 Boondock.  The approach angle is probably better than a TaB, but with a 320 Boondock, not much.  You could always add an Overland style articulated hitch to a TaB and gain that advantage.  Also I have read about several TaB 320 Nd 400s that have taken their TaB Boondocks to fairly remote areas.

I have found a TaB Boondock will go most places that you can use a standard ball hitch with, as far as going up and down steep hills. The ball hitch matches the TaB 400 angle of approach and departure (on the edge).  Any greater increase in angle between the trailer and TV, requires an overland style articulating hitch, which you could easily add to a TaB, replacing the standard ball hitch.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SubmarinerSubmariner Member Posts: 14
    Do you know what that axle is that dexter offers?  i am wanting to improve my old axle.  seems to be saging abit.
    Retired Navy, 20 years submarine force, 13 years onboard boats, about 9 years underwater, and you ask that silly question, "Why are you that way?"   LOL
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 189
    edited February 2022
    Edit : did not catch on that this was a Dutchman 320 . 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    edited February 2022
    Submariner has Dutchman CS TaB, so keep that in mind.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio