Options

Victron BMV-712 Battery monitor

Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
Question guys. Just installed two Battleborn lithium batteries in parallel and a Victron solar charge controller in my '18 400. No problems with this.

Question about the BMV-712 battery monitor installation: I apologize if this is a stupid question, but in terms of the shunt one end goes to the negative terminal of the battery and the other end goes to "negative - system ground" or "all loads and charges in the system". What exactly am I connecting to this end of the shunt? 
Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    The wire that exits the shunt gets connected to the ground in the junction box under the front of the trailer.  It is the first terminal on the right.  (This is specific to a 320.  Not sure if you have the same junction box.)

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The wire that exits the shunt gets connected to the ground in the junction box under the front of the trailer.  It is the first terminal on the right.  (This is specific to a 320.  Not sure if you have the same junction box.)

I think that’s my issue. I can’t find the junction/distribution box in our 2018 400! - I’ve seen where it is located in the 2020 model - its right under the bed near the inverter, but I can’t find it in our 2018!!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Can I just attach the 3 negative wires that are currently attached to the negative terminal of the battery (12v, inverter/120v and solar) and attach them to the load end of the shunt? Is it that simple? Maybe I’m making this more complicated than it actually is :) 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2020
    Yes, you can.  It is not hard to do, but follow the steps below:

The 2018 TaB 400 dies not have a power distribution box on the battery, it uses the AC/DC converter panel as one.  One of the black wires connected to the battery goes there, one to the Inverter via a fuse box, and one for the solar controller.

Now, just remove the battery black connections from the battery.  First, since you have solar, coverup your solar panel, or do this at night. Turn off the battery disconnect switch, then remove the negative/black connections to the battery (if you have two batteries, leave them connected together and remove the several cables on the negative side battery.  The positive side is the other battery).  

Next, Take the black (Solar wire might be white) wires and connect them to the load side of the shunt.  You will need to buy a short battery cable to connect the battery side of the shunt to the battery, where you removed the black wires from.  Connectmthe positive red wire in the monitor kit to the positive battery cable, and plug it into B1 on the shunt.  You should be good to go.

Basically the shunt sits between all the negative battery terminal wires and the battery.
    Here is what my 2018 setup looks like (note my battery has been moved to the middle compartment under the bunk, so this will look a little different, I also added a ground buss strip to connect the solar MPPT controller and external solar plug (white wires) to clean up the connections):
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    Michael49 said:
    Can I just attach the 3 negative wires that are currently attached to the negative terminal of the battery (12v, inverter/120v and solar) and attach them to the load end of the shunt? Is it that simple? Maybe I’m making this more complicated than it actually is :) 
    Yes you can! It can appear a bit daunting believe me I know.   I had the BMV-712 installed by NuCamp on our 2021 400 but unfortunately it was not done correct at all.  Just a couple days ago I rewired it and did just that.   Thanks to all the help I got here on the forum.  Everything is working great now in my trailer. 

Just move the negative wires to the load side of the shunt, buy an automotive battery cable and connect the negative battery terminal to the battery only side of the shunt and connect the B1 cable to the shunt and the positive battery terminal.  Easy.  I used cardboard and a shipping blanket to cover my solar panels.    
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, you can.  It is not hard to do, but follow the steps below:

Super helpful - thanks! I like your busbar - was thinking about adding one myself. 
  • Options
    Yes, this was a marine 20 amp buss bar I had left from the boat project.  You can buy a variety if different buss bars, to fit different loads.
    cheers
  • Options
    Boomerb77Boomerb77 Member Posts: 17
    Thought the shunt install would be a piece of cake with all these instructions till I uncovered the bed panels to find no room for a shunt in that battery area.
    im thinking of taking a little room from the storage compartment to route negative cable with shunt.

2021 400 BD / 2020  F-150, 3.5L EcoBoost / NE Ohio
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    Just mount it in the inverter compartment.  That's how mine is installed by NuCamp.  Just don't pay attention to the wiring that NuCamp did. It's wrong and this picture is before I corrected it. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Doesn't the batt leads go to a pair of bus bars where you could insert the shunt? It wouldn't have to be in batt compartment as long as it is between batt and all the loads.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    No, the battery leads to to a two post bus, one for positive and one for negative, and it is mounted in the back wall of the Pax side storage locker, Imwouldmjust mount it in the Inverter area, add the battery negative jumper to the shunt, and switch the nuCamp negative cable to the Shunt, it should be long enough to reach.  The nuCamp wiring above is wrong.
    cheers