Options

How to use the keder rail?

xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
We are still learning about our Tab - and have another question. 

We ordered an awning and are going to put it on today but are wondering about the keder rail. The black piece in the rail looks like one long piece. Are we supposed to take out the entire plastic piece? When you take the awning off and are breaking camp do you put the black plastic back in the keder rail? 
I was wondering if anyone cuts it in two so you can keep the plastic in the bottom of the rail when you have an awning on? 
Thank you! 
mer 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    The famous plastic piece!  It is "supposedly" just a cover to protect the keder rail.  From what, no one seems sure.  The vast majority say just pull it out and dispose of responsibly.  Some, apparently, do re-thread the plastic back in the rail, but I'd bet that is harder than putting on the awning.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @xdr, I recently purchased an awning and removed the keder rail insert.  I may roll it up and put it in a zip-loc bag and store it somewhere, but I doubt I will ever use it again.  It won't serve any purpose to reinsert it in the bottom of the rail while using your awning.  And, as @pthomas745 mentioned, it probably would be a hassle to reinsert it between awning uses.  I think it is more cosmetic in the event a T@B owner opts not to use the keder rail for its intended purpose.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    As @Bayliss said, it’s cosmetic. It’s just there so the screws in the keder rail aren’t visible.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    One of ours did fall out on the highway,  wrapped itself around our bikes on the back rack.  It was pretty much destroyed, so we removed the other one so it won't wrap itself around someones windshield.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Removed it...recycled it...done. While it does offer a cosmetic look, it pretty much useless. Just be sure you keep the rail clean and use a little silicone spray or similar once in a while so the awning slides on and off fairly easily. Enjoy!!! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    Thank you all! 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @xdr welcome to the Tab family! Before you first slide your Visor in, lightly spray a bit of silicone spray along the track. Have a paper towel handy for the drips. It helps things slide easier through the track. Another tip is that you can either insert the rod in the outer edge either before you slide the visor in the rail or after. I’ve done it both ways, depending on how breezy it is. Have fun with your new Tab and enjoy the journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Before I installed our visor the first time, I removed the black plastic filler.  I installed the visor and marked the Keeder rail where the ends of the visor were.  I reinstalled the black plastic and trimmed it to fit back in the rail.  I leave the front section in, install the visor and replace the rear piece  of the black plastic.  I find for us, this helps to prevent the visor from traveling in the wind.  I kept the rest of the black plastic.  As every guy knows, as long as the shop has room you keep everything.  Running out of room now thought.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab