Options

Modification question for T@B 320 Tongue Platform / Deck

I am considering a T@B 320 Boondock but one important requirement I have before committing to the purchase is how I can bring along my very large fat tire e-bike designed for heavy-duty off-roading.  It much wider and heavier than a typical e-bike so a rack that would require lifting the bike would not be an option (the bike weights ~100 lbs).  

One option I am considering would be to install a cargo tray on the widest part of the tongue, either on top of the platform that comes with the Boondock or entirely replacing it. The bike manufacturer recommends a 60"x19" cargo tray (such as this one https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-30110208-Original-HITCH-HAUL-Receiver-x/dp/B001RDQIWS).  The front wheel would be removed and the bike would be secured by ratchet straps.  Would it be possible to install such a rack on the tongue and still have an adequate turning radius?  I'm aware I'd likely have to sacrifice the storage box in the front. 

Alternatively, I see that the Boondock comes with an aluminum tongue platform and perhaps that could be modified although I'm not sure if the standard platform would be wide enough.  Either way I would need the assistance of a professional welder as the spouse and I are not the least bit handy and lack the necessary tools.

I've spent quite a bit of time on this very informative forum but haven't seen any questions / solutions regarding this specific modification.  Thanks in advance for any insights.  I've been exploring other trailer options as well, but it's very reassuring that there is such an active community of T@B owners who are constantly swapping ideas. As a result, the T@B is the front-runner.

It looks like this seller made several modifications to the tongue (although different than the problem I'm trying to solve) so I'm optimistic that there is a solution:
https://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/10500/2019-t-b-320-boondock-edge-atlanta-many-mods-21-900

Comments

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Some vehicles a front hitch can be added to facilitate a bike rack up front.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited May 2020
    100 pound ebike on the trailer tongue?     What is your tow vehicles rated tongue weight capacity?

Yikes looked at the link to the trailer.    I wonder what the current tongue weight is.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    megakemegake Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 4Runner with a reported tongue rate capacity of 500lbs which gives me some wiggle room.  Although it could be an option, for a variety of reasons I'm not considering setting up a rack on the front of my vehicle.

Another option I've floated is to get a dual hitch receiver (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Curt/D210.html) and setup a bike rack off the upper receiver of the TV. I've seen a few posts on this forum with such setups and I'm not too concerned about the lack of access to the rear of my vehicle.  There is a tow-hitch rack on the market which accommodates this bike with easy loading, but my concern with that approach is reduced turning radius as the rack is about two feet wide.  I'm aware of the risks with using a hitch extender so I've ruled out that option.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    From your post: “I'm aware I'd likely have to sacrifice the storage box in the front.”

The “storage box” in front isn’t an empty box. It contains your battery (or plural in some cases), and your propane (or plural). The battery may be moved inside the trailer, though rewiring may be necessary. The propane cannot. You would have to come up with an alternative place for it on the tongue, and have the gas lines moved. As you’ve already said that you are not handy, rewiring and rerouting gas lines would have to be hired out. This begins to look very pricey.

Is there a reason you aren’t considering a small toy hauler camper instead? That would be way easier.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    megakemegake Member Posts: 3
    VictoriaP said:
    From your post: “I'm aware I'd likely have to sacrifice the storage box in the front.”

The “storage box” in front isn’t an empty box. It contains your battery (or plural in some cases), and your propane (or plural). The battery may be moved inside the trailer, though rewiring may be necessary. The propane cannot. You would have to come up with an alternative place for it on the tongue, and have the gas lines moved. As you’ve already said that you are not handy, rewiring and rerouting gas lines would have to be hired out. This begins to look very pricey.

Is there a reason you aren’t considering a small toy hauler camper instead? That would be way easier.
    Yeah, sounds like this mod might not be as simple as I initially thought and to your point it might get pricey. After I posted this I watched a video on the 2021 T@B and it reviewed the specifics and the hookups from the box for electric and gas.  I like the less boxy design of a teardrop (will be using it for light off-roading) and the T@B seems to be high-quality, but I have also been looking at small toy haulers and a Forest River A-Frame that has a large toy deck in the front.  Every option seems to have its drawbacks.

Thanks for the insight.