2021 T@B 400 Wardrobe Shelf

awahlawahl Member Posts: 25
edited November 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
It's done...! One of the reasons we chose the 2-way versus the 3-way fridge was the larger wardrobe and more storage. So when NuCamp changed the design on the 2021 we were bummed. We knew there had to be a lot of space behind the false wall in the wardrobe, and dove in feet first. In the end we spent about $70 on materials, and had to invest another $79 for a new jig saw... As a result we gained about 2 cubic feet of space and 12lbs in weight. We wanted a nice factory look to the wardrobe and think we achieved that....If us "had to buy a saw to get this done" newbies can do it - so can you :-).   

Here's how we got there and the end-result. 

Removed the back wardrobe panel to "see what's back there".... "Lot's of room - that's what!..." 

Used butt connectors to lengthen the speaker wire: 

- 

Built the shelf - Using nice 3/4 x 6" (nice) plywood - 31 & 5/8" h x 20" w (for the top and bottom) and two 18.5" shelf's: 

Add nice 1/4" birch panel to the back: 

Install the shelf after a few rounds of dry-fitting leaving nice clearance for the wiring and the speaker on the left side, and about an inch in the back. We made sure the top & bottom mount screws did not go through to compartments above or below, and decided to keep the 1/2" plywood that was stapled in as a buffer for the screw length (before we built the shelf): 

Now the tricky part....  Cut three holes in that nice new NuCamp wardrobe pane...line them up correctly to the shelf, and keep everything square (thanks honey): 

Measure once & cut twice? NO! Measure about 16 times and cut once....then try to improve each cut as you go... We did plunge-cuts with the jig saw to keep the corners from getting all wonky: 

Even being extremely careful we had some little issues here and there- but overall it came out pretty well. We used an electric sander to straighten a few high spots and smooth out the openings: 

And we finished it all off with some Organized Obie cargo nets - that were a huge {pain} to install (be smarter than us and get the "easy" hooks)... 

Now we have more room in the drawers and cabinets, and more dedicated space for things like t-shirts, socks, underwear, etc... 

Go for it! 
2021 T@B 400 Boondock  |  2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Well done, @awahl!!  Thank you for sharing the photos, which is always very much appreciated.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    Very nice job...and a very clever use of hidden space!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Brilliant solution, well done.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    Well that looks fantastic! 
    We also loved the large wardrobe in the 2019 Tab we first looked at. When we ordered our 2021 400, we got the smaller fridge expecting the same wardrobe-but got the smaller one without the shelves. Glad to know that space is redeemable. 

I just turned to the dh and said-I’m going to do that in our Tab. 
    Thanks for sharing. Great job. 
    mer
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Swoosh66Swoosh66 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the photos. I was disappointed in the change, so this is at the top of my list... soon to be at the top of my husband’s list, I hope. 😉
    T@B 400 (2021 on order) | 2021 Toyota 4Runner | PNW
  • Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    We are newbies, but right away we knew we had little use for a hanging clothes rack. As long-time tent campers, we are used to packing clothes folded and rolled.  We also removed the back panel, then added rigid foam against the back wall, reinstalled the panel we took out over that and protected the speaker with a bowl mounted over it.  We added a nearly full depth wood shelf below the speaker with wood cleats and two 10 inch shelves above and below as well.  Now I have the closet bottom and the first narrow shelf and hubby has the deep shelf and the higher narrow one.  Gained depth and lots of storage.  Will take pictures and post them.   

2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent