Options

Propane Pigtail 1/4" to 3/8" fitting?

My pigtail for my 2010 Tab clogged up, so I bought a replacement, not realizing that the replacement came with a 1/4" fitting on the end that goes into the regulator. My original hose has a 3/8" fitting. I could get an adapter I would assume, but will this restrict the flow too much? I have looked and looked and have not been able to find a pigtail with a 3/8" fitting on the end.
2010 T16-Q & 2013 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD.

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I would get the correct size pigtails, going to 1/4 inch will restrict the volume of gas too much.  Domestic (RV/house) propane systems are low pressure, high flow, meaning they need a big pipe to deliver gas through.  
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TabletTablet Member Posts: 46
    I will do that, but darn are they hard to find! Every one I have seen, and I have looked at at least 50 of them, have the 1/4" end.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Food for thought from one reviewer on Amazon:

Newer RV owners need not worry, this hose will fit perfectly....but if you have an older RV like myself 2008 model, odds are high you have a 3/8 propane hose fitting. Hoses now are 1/4" and you need to buy the adapter. I have two tank set up and needed to buy two adapters I'll list the link so you can see what it is but the price is excessive,. I bought the 3/8 male - 1/4 female fitting at my local RV store .89 cents each.
  • Options
    Also some curious insight about what may be the difference between the two sizes from another Amazon review of a Camco 12" Pigtail:

Be aware there are two fitting sizes, the 1/4 Male flare and the 1/4" Male NPT even though they sound the same size they are not! My advice is to thoroughly understand the difference and know which one you need. The announcer in the video was exactly opposite of what I needed. Just because you have the changeover regulator does NOT mean you need the Flare size. In my case it was just the opposite. The Flare is much smaller than the NPT size. the NPT is ABOUT 1/2" in OUTSIDE DIAMETER. That's how you might be able to differentiate which one you need. Great product, but the video and sizing is misleading. I'm trying to determine the model number of the 12" pigtail with the 1/4 Male NPT fitting. If I find it I'll update this post with it. If anyone know this model number please provide it.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Fascinating. An NPT 1/4 pipe has an OD of .56", and a 1/4" inverted male flare is considerably smaller, but I can't seem to find the spec on the OD. I think I didn't realize I must have the NPT style end, and there seems to be a lot of pigtails with both types of ends, confusingly both described as 1/4".
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I'm not sure if this applies to your trailer, but I've bookmarked this in case I need to replace this hose.  There is a discussion of flare sizes, etc...

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    N.P.T. (National Pipe Thread) size refers to the inside hole diameter through the "pipe".  The the standard defines a pipe by I.D. with the a specific wall thickness and a tapered thread sized to fit the pipe outside diameter.  I'm not as familiar with the flare fitting. However a little research shows it is a system for use with a metal tubing.  The 1/4" now refers to the tube outside diameter.  For a 1/4" tube it appears the the thread might be 7/16-24 straight thread.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner