Spare tire inside the T@b Rear Seating Area?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
Does anyone store their spare tire below the back part of the rear seating area inside of the T@B? I feel like I remember some saying that the dealer had put their tire in that spot. Can anyone see any issues storing it there, apart from it being a real pain to get out if you have a flat?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    That's where the tire is when shipped from the factory - at least it was on mine. I put mine on the tongue as I couldn't imagine trying to get the spare out of their easily (or from under the back of the T@B) and I wanted the internal storage.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I was going to place mine on the tongue, but if I go to a dual GC battery set up, it will likely be on the tongue, ahead of the propane box. I hear you on the storage. I have also thought about mounting it to the roof rack on my Jeep. I don't want to get the rack they are putting on the rear of the Outback - I don't love the look. I wish I could get the racks they put on the rear of the Euro T@bs - love them.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Penn, I placed mine on the tongue with an offset spare tire holder attached to the jack with U-bolts.  Seats perfectly on the frame.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
    Allie said:
    Penn, I placed mine on the tongue with an offset spare tire holder attached carrier is that. Hoe much room between the tire and the propane box? to the jack with U-bolts.  Seats perfectly on the frame.
    Which carrier is that? How much room between the tire and propane box is left?

• judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    DH removed ours from beneath T@B where dealer placed it.  It is now in under seat storage.  I don't want it there, I could use the space, but I lost the battle...FOR NOW
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I put my spare tire under the table in our L. We leave the table down anyway. I took the lift mechanism off. It would be easier to get the tire out from there than from under the trailer especially with a flat on one side. Plus, I wanted to keep the balance closer to original because I added other "stuff" on the tongue.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
    That sideways mount really looks slick as long as you don't have a sideways opening tailgate like my Jeep. I remove the jack when towing just so I can get at stuff in the back hatch.
    JKjenn - the unit is a D-L Product, model 6121.  There is 9.5" between the tire and the propane tank cover.

PXLated - I have a RAV4 with the sideways opening door also.  I tried the jack-e-up, but it didn't work.  So, I went back to the original jack.  Anything that may have to be accessed while driving is kept near the two back doors.  I figure, if worse comes to worse, the trailer can be unhitched.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
    I do a lot of one nighters out shooting so a lot of nights where I'm not unhitching, just leveling. So, I want access while hitched and the jack-e-up works great for me.
    Since I'm out full-time, I also need whatever space there is inside for "stuff". The tongue-mounted spare frees up space.
    Since I'm shooting, the easy access side doors get me my photo gear.

Moral of the story - Everyone's needs and use cases are different. What works for one may not work for another. Nice to hear about all the options though.
    Thanks, Allie!

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Allie said:
    JKjenn - the unit is a D-L Product, model 6121.  There is 9.5" between the tire and the propane tank cover.

PXLated - I have a RAV4 with the sideways opening door also.  I tried the jack-e-up, but it didn't work.  So, I went back to the original jack.  Anything that may have to be accessed while driving is kept near the two back doors.  I figure, if worse comes to worse, the trailer can be unhitched.
    Thanks for the info, Allie! I have a Rav4 and the side opening door as well.

I love this forum!!  :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    My spare tire was attached under the rear of the T@B where it is suppose to be. However I had the dealer remove the spare and the bracket before I rolled off the lot. The tire was placed in the back of my SUV. I ordered a Spare Tire Carrier with Lock from Amazon for about $20.00 and attached it to the tongue.  Could not stand the "rubber" smell in the car. Would not want to sleep with it either.  Works great and does not take up much needed space inside the unit. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
    Thanks, Mike & Sara. That is exactly what I was wondering about.

• KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    edited June 2015
    Allie--could you post a photo of what that tire mount looks like from the side?
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I spent 37 years working in a rubber factory, rubber smell? What rubber smell?
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
    Kats said:
    Allie--could you post a photo of what that tire mount looks like from the side?
    Kats, is this what you meant?  Or did you want a picture of the holder?  
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
    Kats, this is what the attachment looks like.  On the offset side, the tire is bolted on.  The bracket is attached to the jack using U bolts.  They don't come with the carrier, have to be bought separately.  There is a piece of rubber between the jack and the U-bolt to prevent slipping, scraping and squeeking.

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    Thanks, Allie! Looks pretty simple!
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    It is an excellent mod that I have recently seen several others do.  Have to get around to doing it myself :)

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    For those who want to put the spare tire in either their T@B, or TV, but don't want to deal with the "Rubber Smell" perhaps [first] putting the spare into a plastic vacuum clothing bag (sold at Wal-Mart, etc.) would solve the problem. Vacuum sealed = no odor.....I would think. I haven't tried this, but it may work.