Options

Just another solar/lithium install

2»

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited June 2020
    @subfreq111 : I checked the camper again.  On my model I have 7 DC fuses, and pulling the 6th 30A one disables the converter as desired and as you described, leaving all 12V loads (fans, lights, etc) on.  So I'll be happy pulling that for now when boondocking with front and rear batteries bridged and the inverter powering the whole AC grid.  And that silly thing I was looking for that I knew must exist but couldn't seem to find was called an ATC Fuse Shunt.  Plugs into 30A, and a switch and external 30A fuse get soddered on, so no need to pull the fuse anymore.

Have you had a nice three+ day boondock with your awesome setup yet?  Any changes in mind as a result?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    druthazerdruthazer Member Posts: 35
    Looking to install a modest solar sys. In new to me 2017 tab 320 S.   Ordered 2 x 100 watt flexible kit from Renogy.  Want to install 1 battery In tongue tub.  Thinking I can squeeze a size 27 box and either AGM or deep cycle Flooded battery without exceeding tongue weight limit... any thoughts or recommendations??  
    No thoughts of running ac.  Will run alde and fridge on gas as needed....   we are new owners and envision more weekend warriors at Harvest Host or off grid with occasional 2 week trip (mostly)off grid with visits to dump sta and water fIll up every 3-4 days or so? And maybe a full service site on and off and hot full shower.  Retired military and senior citizen discounts avail. 
     Looking for advice?
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @druthazer : Howdy & Welcome.  There's folks who have done several solar installations and even plenty of Electrical Engineers on the forum.  If you specify a budget that might let the experts (I'm hapless tinkerer class only) help you. 

You may want a battery monitor for that larger AGM battery ($20-250).  A decent 125Ah AGM battery is almost $300. Your existing Interstate battery, if that's what was in it,  might be 50-75Ah.  You may want a decent MPPT controller ($50-200).  You may want a mid-sized pure sine wave inverter to power at least one plug at a Harvest Host ($300-600), but you might be able to make do with a couple small inverters that plug into the 12V outlets ($30-100) in the camper if your AC power draw is small (no Instant Pots or espresso machines).  You'll want the right size wire and fuses to hook it all together ($40-150).  But some of those are optional or can be added later.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @subfreq111, as I understand your original post, the 12V still runs off the stock house battery and your Lithium batteries only power the inverter and it's associated (120v) outlets. Is this correct? Thanks in advance...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    druthazerdruthazer Member Posts: 35
    Still deciding exactly how to mount the 2 panels.... saw something on RVwithTito.com You Tube that was interesting alternative do directly Taping down using:  2" eternabond 2-sided tape.... he added an insulating and draining plastic panel between roof-panel and used some home made mounts with bolts he made from Aluminum Strips...  Anyone use this mounting method or have other suggestions?  
    also fore to aft or side to side with Vent in between??

We just replaced the stock 75 ah battery with two 75ah fit 24 flooded batteries using adapter kit from:  EPS.  Fit great.   we chose not to use the 2 X ^v Golf cart in series due to weight and need to move the LP regulator.  This was worth a try cuz cost of batteries was low and John at EPS was so helpful and he thought this would meet our  2-3 dsy boon dock trips along with the 2X Renogy Felxible panels...   
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    So assuming your batteries are wired in parallel, you have 150 amp hrs.  Combined with 200 watts of solar and the right sunshine you will be good for at least several days.  The concern with the 2 panels on the roof is shading from the vent which can impact the output of panels wired in series.  So, just wire them in a parallel connection.

This from Renogy:
    “The downside to series systems is shading problems. When panels are wired in series, they all in a sense depend on each other. If one panel is shaded it will affect the whole string. This will not happen in a parallel connection.“

Another option is placing one on the roof and one on a rack.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited July 2020
    Sounds good.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.