Options

Getting fresh water tank completely full?

Last year I found that the only way I could get my fresh water tank completely full for boondcking was to fill it hooked up to city water at home with the nose tilted up not hooked up to the truck.  I even have one of those hose end attachments that has the clear short piece of tubing on it to stick down into the water fill port a little ways.  Have to turn the water on low & it takes a long time to fill.  Years ago had a big 5th wheel that didn't seem to take as long to fill!  If I turn up the water pressure it just comes out too fast & the fill port spews it back out.  Is there a secret trick?  Thanks

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Same thing here when trying to fill with the hose.  Much easier to fill a 5 gallon jug and use a siphon.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    No, @lkc001, I have found it to be a slow filling tank as well.  I use the same clear filler tube (with a shut-off valve) that you are using.  I used to own a 5th wheel as well, and had the same experience as you.  I suspect it is because the fresh water tank on the 5th wheel was both larger and likely closer to the filler tube.  On the T@B, the fresh water tank is smaller and on the other side of the trailer.  I have never tried cranking up the front end of the T@B to fill it, but it makes sense that it would allow you to get more into the tank that way.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    Thank you for the confirmation that it's not just me!  I will say this is the one thing I find very annoying.  I also think that because the tank is so much smaller on these units than a larger RV, in addition to the fact that the tank is a flatter tank, it just can't take a fast fill.  I'll also have to try the siphon method-- I have a water jug  we take along for extra water & a siphon.  @Bayliss--yes I can get a lot more water in the tank by tilting up the front end but only the one time at home if we are going boondocking-- the water has to be on low & it takes awhile.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited May 2020
    It's a common problem that I suspect results from the relative location of the fill and vent connection on the shallow tank (photo below).
    You do need to fill slowly, and raising the front (if possible) definitely helps. Another trick is to take a short length of stiff but flexible tubing, hold one end tightly over the external went, and blow hard in the other.
    The biggest impediment to filling the FW tank is that the long skinny vent line tends to get plugged with water. I find if I clear that line before I start filling, things go a lot more smoothly.
    Another possible impediment is that the vent tubing is soft and prone to kinking if it is not routed carefully. I had fewer issues after I a few modifications to mine to keep it fully open.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Very helpful tips, @ScottG.  Thank you!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    You're welcome, @Bayliss. For some time I've considered reworking/replacing that poorly designed vent with something more functional, but it's never quite been enough of a problem for me to actually dig in and do it. My 2015 doesn't have the underbelly protection so getting at that stuff is pretty easy.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Your problem does seem to make me think you have a vent line issue where your fill line is also acting as your vent.