Options

Air8 Tab 400 boondock

Hi Tabbers
Last Sunday i gave a deposit 500$ on a 2020 TaB 400 BD lite...I was so excited but tonite after reading bad reviews about AC air8 ...I’m thinking to walk away from the deal tomorrow morning!  They had a 2019 unit ....should I buy 2019 instead? Need help here! 
Harold 

Comments

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited June 2020
    I've found the Air8 to be a bit disappointing, yes. Seems the Air8 worked well in 320 models but the 400 has more cubic feet and it tends to run constantly to keep it cool. That said, there are a few mods to the system that help and supposedly Elwell (OEM) is working with nuCamp to make further mods. If you plan on camping in SW USA during summer, it'll struggle. If not, you'll probably be OK...depending on your tolerance.

A ringing endorsement...not exactly. You'll have to eval how important A/C is vs. the delta between the 19 and the 20.

Sleep on it...you'll make the call that works for you. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    We have been very satisfied with the performance of our Coolcat in our late 2018 400.  I was reassured after NuCamp returned to the Coolcat in the 2021s and Solos as they worked on the Air 8 concerns and tongue weight issues.  
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    We had the same concerns when evaluating our decision. The 400 we originally looked through was a 2020 and the one thing the dealer praised was the A/C being moved to reduce tongue weight. We fell in love with the size and quality of the campers but really did not know anything about Tabs or nuCamp so started researching. After looking into it, we decided that if the 2021 still had the Air8 we would only consider a 2018-19 400. 
    We live in the desert SW so the A/C is important to us. 
    Everyone’s needs are different. Evaluate the choice based on your own needs. nuCamp is an excellent company and they are working to correct this issue which should give you some peace either way. 
    mer 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @Harolo
    Like @xdr said, everyone's needs are different. Having said that, I stayed away from the 2020 T@B 400 specifically because of the issues a number of members reported with very poor performance of the Air 8.
    I could of bought a 2020 model a few miles from my house, and chose to drive 650 miles round-trip to get a 2021 model with the coolcat.
    While I have no first hand experience with the Air 8, I can tell you the 2021 (and I assume all former models with coolcat) works incredibly well.
    I just couldn't see buying something that I know is going to need a factory update the day I get it on such an important (to me) component of the camper.
    Good luck with what ever decision you make!!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I would personally not buy a 2020 unless it’s one of the few that was built with a Coolcat A/C. While I do believe that nuCamp will eventually make that situation right, it has been and continues to be an ongoing issue.

Be aware though that a few 2019s reportedly have the Air8, so you’ll need to check, and those that have the Coolcat may have a much heavier tongue weight than the 2020 or 2021. If your tow vehicle has the bare minimum towing capacity of 5000 lbs, you may end up exceeding the usual tongue weight limit of 500 lbs once you’ve loaded a 2019 up for travel. So make sure your tow vehicle is up for that before buying.

I’d skip both and go with a 2021, which was redesigned to fix the tongue weight issue.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    HaroloHarolo Member Posts: 30
    Finally,I’m  it gonna buy Tab 2020...now I’m shopping for a 2021 model...
    thanks everyone for your help! 
    Harold 
  • Options
    IrisIris Member Posts: 2
    My new 2020 Tab 400 with Air8 does not cool the unit.  I purchased it May 26, 2020. It is back at the dealership now and I am waiting for an answer.  Would I buy the unit today after learning about the AC problem?  Absolutely not.  Love the unit but the Air8 can not cool the  unit with the heat in Florida.  

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Iris...I know Elwell and nuCamp are working the issue and have plans to address it. The pandemic has delayed things but in speaking with both of them they expect to roll out solutions soon. And yes...I know this has been a known issue for some time, as evidenced by other threads. 

There are a few steps you can take to help in the mean time.
    1. New vent covers for the intake and exhaust vents under the trailer 
    2. A deflector shield that forces exhaust air away from the intake vent .
    3. Exhaust the trailer air prior to starting the A/C.
    4. Run the A/C on low fan.
    5. Run a small USB-type fan to circulate the air in the rig.
    6. Crack the roof vent just enough to run the fan to exhaust the warm air near the ceiling. Use Reflectix sun shield insulation on the 3 large arcylic windows.

Are all these steps a fix...no. Each are a band-aid but they can make a difference. 

I share your thoughts and am hopeful Elwell and nuCamp will make it right. They do have that history. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    also know that the location of the temperature sensor inside the camper is not ideal, don't set it like you would in your house and expect to be happy at all. Set it much lower than you would ever expect, I usually use 65 or lower.

As per my email from NuCamp last week, Elwell is supposed to be releasing an updated unit in the next few weeks. Email warranty@nucamp.com and include your VIN Number and the selling dealer, they will put you on the list.

We have a 2020 400 BDL and I bought it knowing there could be air conditioning issues, but we are in NC and it is somewhat cooler here. I also know that NuCamp will make it right! I feel that fixing the temperature sensor location may fix my entire issue but they will still put the upgraded unit in.

Regards,

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC