Options

Bedroll mod (takes a little bit of sewing)

bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
edited May 2015 in Tips & Tricks
Okay - so we've been out camping in our new T@b for 3 weekends out of the past 4. Yippee - lots of fun. Today I'm working on some bedding ideas. First - you have to know we live in AZ, so most of our camping is going to be warm weather - though that may change as we gain experience.

I know lots of people have put foam toppers of various kinds on the bed, but those are just so huge, I didn't want to do that if possible. Second, sleeping bags are too hot, but a light quilt (I make quilts) can be too little, and I want to be able to wash bedding more frequently than I would a quilt. Yes, a duvet might work, but a comforter is still too bulky. So..... this is what I did. I bought a king sized sheet set, and cut the top sheet in two, and hemmed the sides. Then I de-constructed the bottom sheet and used it to make a giant "pillowcase" cover.

We got this self-inflating pad:

http://www.tetonsports.com/Cot-and-camp-pads/Camp-Pads/Comfortlite-Regular.htm#.VWn8gmCpTGs

The pad is 25" wide, enough to roll over (I can't sleep in a mummy sleeping bag, or even a zipped up rectangle one) and thick enough to bridge the seat cushions but thin enough that it rolls up non-bulky.

The pad slides into the "pillowcase" and I sewed the top sheet to one side of the open case, so the valve of the sleeping pad can be open, and the extra fabric from the top sheet is loose, as are the two sides.

Here it is with the top sheet and a pillow on the end. Again, it is just sewed to the top of that end. I've pushed it up a little to show the valve sticking out. I might add velcro to keep that end closed, but it wouldn't matter because there is a seam across the end.

This is the whole thing rolled up, with the sides of the top sheet folded in, the air in the pad let out, and wrapped with some elastic I had cut off the king fitted sheet. I'm going to slide the whole thing into a king pillow case to keep it clean.

2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I do something similar. My sleeping bag (Nemo Stratoloft) has a pocket to hold the sleeping pad (you never slide iffy the pad!) and a hood, which hold the pillow. You can easily deflate some of the air and stuff behind the bench or completely deflate and roll up. Love it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    "First - you have to know we live in AZ, so most of our camping is going to be warm weather"
    Since it's almost June, shouldn't that be HOT? :-)
  • Options
    Well, we hit 104° today so, I guess you can call it hot....
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    For a northerner, that is HOT :-)
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I laughed out loud bgualtieri and PXL --- after living in Tucson for 20+ years I now understand why it's only now getting hot. We're very excited that this week it's supposed to "cool off" and be in the 90's. On the other end of the spectrum anything below 70 is cold to us! Bgualtieri - thanks for your bedroll info - I will need to figure something out as well but am waiting for my T@B to decide.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    So is it any cooler out at Catalina? It's 107 in PHX today - I'd like to go over to Canyon Lake next, just a little east of Lost Dutchman, but I think we're going to have to start driving up to Payson or Flag for the rest of the summer!
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I too use the self inflating pads and hadn't thought about making washable "gunny sacks" for them.  I fight with getting a queen-sized fitted sheet on two of them placed side by side on top of the standard SS mattresses.  Great Idea.  'Only 101 over here today in the Imperial Valley.  B)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I too use the self inflating pads and hadn't thought about making washable "gunny sacks" for them.  I fight with getting a queen-sized fitted sheet on two of them placed side by side on top of the standard SS mattresses.  Great Idea.  'Only 101 over here today in the Imperial Valley.  B)
    But is it  "DRY HEAT"? hehe  =)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Yes Lagrima. We tried the queen sheet over the whole platform first. It was way too much wrestling and crawling around for my mature knees. I want to be able to have at least the two bench seats up during the day, and after the first trip we do put the table outside. But the giant toppers just looked too bulky for me, even rolled up. And I want to be able to launder the sheets. Can't do that as easily with a sleeping bag
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    So is it any cooler out at Catalina? It's 107 in PHX today - I'd like to go over to Canyon Lake next, just a little east of Lost Dutchman, but I think we're going to have to start driving up to Payson or Flag for the rest of the summer!
    That's why my buddy in Florence is now in Michigan for the summer and purchased a second home here as things heat up out in AZ.    =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Ratkity said:
    But is it  "DRY HEAT"? hehe  =)
    Uhhhh, yepp, like getting blasted by a hair-dryer when you go outside.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    I fled after a three-day stretch of 97. Would have fled before but had an appointment to get the bearings packed. I am not a friend of heat (dry or not). In cold I can always dress warmer. In heat there's only so much you can take off without being arrested.
  • Options
    We're a bit cooler down here in Tucson bgualtieri -- was 103 I think - big difference - ha!  I'll have to check out Canyon Lake sometime (after the summer). I was thinking of going immediately from the dealer when I pick up my unit to Payson and I still may do that. Or I'll drive it down here and spend some time getting it packed and organized, then decide where to go first. Come October I'll definitely be out often and can get to many places without going too far (already made a reservation at Patagonia SP).

Being able to spend summers elsewhere and winters here would be ideal --- come on retirement!

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    We'd love to meet up with you for your shakedown if you'd like. Just say when and where.

I have a spot at Canyon Lake on July 11th. That was their first available! Taking my kayak and wouldn't have been able without T@b's AC - just way too hot for a tent, even near water.

One year we went for a little ride on their Dolly boat and it was 119° and almost got heat exhaustion. I was actually scared!
  • Options
    Thanks Bgualtieri --- I don't have a delivery date yet but was told "probably July". I'll actually be in San Diego visiting youngest son and his family that second week of July --- but will let you know once I have it and perhaps we could meet up somewhere. I'll look up Canyon Lake. Anywhere near water is a plus in my book.