Options

Easy way to clear AC drain tube?

We're new owners of a 2016 320. I have seen threads on removing the AC unit to access the drip pan, but I haven't seen anything on an easy way to clear the drain tube without removing the AC unit. Any ideas? It looks like the drain is right above the road-side window. Is this right? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @AaronC, the drain on mine (a 2019) exits under the trailer, so I am not familiar with a drain above the window.  Can you post a photo of what you are referring to?  Also, maybe post a photo of how your A/C is installed from the inside of the trailer.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    You could use compressed air up through the drain tube where it exits under the trailer. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited June 2020
    Drains for the window unit A/C is in the right, front corner of the pan as you face the the A/C unit inside the TaB.  That’s why you want to slightly pitch the TaB tongue down to encourage it to drain.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    Thanks...which means there's no way to clear the tube without removing the AC unit I guess. Oh well...
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I think Dale's suggestion is the best idea.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Why do you think it is clogged?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Could a decently stiff wire make the run from the bottom of the drain into the air conditioner space? How big is the drain tube? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    As I recall, the clear plastic drain tube was 1/2”. Sometimes it’s hard to find underneath as it can be hidden behind the main frame piece that is the almost the full length of the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I pulled the AC unit and found the problem with the leak is the truly shoddy, jury-rigged setup with the plastic drip pan, which must have been cracked or cut in the manufacture of the trailer ): I'll need to do some heavy-duty caulking to try to get to wherever that crack(s) is. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Surprised to hear that. The drip pan in ours is aluminum.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My former 2014 T@B whose interior became a refurbished 2015 had an aluminum pan under the A/C unit, too. 

I wonder if the previous owner(s) performed modifications to the A/C cabinet?  Especially since you felt the A/C drain was not in the correct location. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The tray issues aside, to unclog an AC drain tube it is best not to use a piece of wire. Wire can puncture tubing. A nifty thing to use is ridged (not round) weed whacker/trimmer string. You can carefully feed this in and twist it as you push it through. The ridges will cut through anything that is plugging the drain. Since it's plastic you don't need to worry about it damaging the tubing or fittings. If you are really brave you can insert one end into your power drill to (slowly) twist it.
  • Options
    Everything is stock; our trailer was barely used by previous owner. I found the drain tube (would be nice if they put that in the manual). My issue is the installation of the drip pan. Wow! They could do better I think. I cut out some plastic pieces to create a new perimeter where the plastic drip pan attaches to the aluminum frame for the AC. What was surprising is how jury-rigged the whole setup appears to be. You'd think they would design something more fool-proof for something that can drip water all over your bed. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    AaronC said:
    We're new owners of a 2016 320. I have seen threads on removing the AC unit to access the drip pan, but I haven't seen anything on an easy way to clear the drain tube without removing the AC unit. Any ideas? It looks like the drain is right above the road-side window. Is this right? Thanks!
    Shop vac sucking from the end where the drips exit?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    What @Tabiphile said X2! The ridged weedwhacker is one of the DH's favorite tricks for unclogging, opening and even straightening tubing and lines. He's been doing commercial, residential and industrial maintenance, construction and repairs over 50 years. In more delicate circumstances, he's actually used a stiffer grade weedwhacker cord to fish electrical wire without damage to sensitive areas and other equipment.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I removed the AC and did a major recaulking of the drip pan, which I think must have been damaged during the build. It's not a brilliant design or execution in there.