Options

Trailer breakaway cable

Ok, my first dumb mistake. Unhitched forgot to remove brake cable pulled away. 
There is a black plastic end that’s busted attached to the cable. Can I fix it myself ?

thanks all !!!
2019 320S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    If it is broken, it is an easy replacement.  Get a new one.  If the plastic pin is removed from the trailer end, you will run down the battery.  If you can reinsert the pin, that gives you time to replace it.  Maybe turn the battery switch off until it is fixed.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited June 2020
    This is a quick and easy replacement—given the coiled cable, I consider it an upgrade. If the pin on yours is still useable, you can also get a replacement for just the cable. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Fastway-Foot-Breakaway-Cable-80-01-2206/dp/B00E4O8J4M/

Be sure to flip your battery disconnect to off until you can replace the pin, having the pin pulled will drain your battery very quickly.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    "Busted' how?  Do you have a picture?
    Usually the clip (that is the black plastic end) will just pull out of the switch housing.  That allows power from the battery (if the cutoff switch is ON) to energize the electric brakes.  You can just push the clip back into the switch housing.  It is hard to reseat so make sure it has seated all the way in.  Some of these setups have a 'hand."  The clip will insert one way but not the other.  Try it both ways.  One way, while still hard to push in, will go in easier the the other way.
  • Options
    TaterTater Member Posts: 134
    The battery is off since I’m now at home. Clip is busted. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    So Victoria looks like that will replace clip end and all ?  So I’m guessing the clip ends are somewhat universal ?

thanks 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Tater said:
    So Victoria looks like that will replace clip end and all ?  So I’m guessing the clip ends are somewhat universal ?

thanks 
    My understanding is yes, it will fit. Someone else here recently replaced one on their 2020 with the one I linked.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The pins are standard but the cable and cable length are not. Be careful not to use one that is too long. The coiled cable that was linked to is 6 feet long. That is probably way too long. You need the cable to pull the pin if your hitch disconnects and it needs to do it quickly. If the cable is too long the hitch could be hanging by the chains without engaging the brakes. You should measure the length of the damaged cable. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    tabiphile said:
    The pins are standard but the cable and cable length are not. Be careful not to use one that is too long. The coiled cable that was linked to is 6 feet long. That is probably way too long. You need the cable to pull the pin if your hitch disconnects and it needs to do it quickly. If the cable is too long the hitch could be hanging by the chains without engaging the brakes. You should measure the length of the damaged cable. 
    The 6’ coiled cable been used by a number of other Tab owners over several years, that’s how I found it in the first place. A 4’ coiled version is also available, but a number of reviews I’ve read indicate that it’s too short for safety when turning. Worth trying if it’s a concern. Here’s the link for the 4’ version, and reviews for both. https://smile.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-80012140-Zip-Breakaway-Cable/dp/B00718W5GQ/

The exact brand of the nuCamp supplied breakaway is Esco. I’m sure they have an exact replacement pin and cable should anyone want one.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thank you I will measure mine. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    mine is 48”
    2019 320S
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @Tater
    Yup, that is "busted!"  The pin is easily replaced but your bigger problem may be that the remainder of that pin is still in the switch.  If so, and there is any of the old pin still in the switch you might be able to get a pair of vice-grips on the protruding part and pull it out.  If you can't get the remainder out of the switch you'll need to buy a new switch.  It will come with the cable and pin.  You will just need to mount the new switch in the same place as the old one and splice the wires in.  No concern with negative/positive polarity.  Google "Breakaway Switch" and you will find a bunch.  I recommend the 4 foot coiled cable.
  • Options
    Thanks, I sure hope I can get the other part out. Well I easily be able to see where the breakaway switch is when I go underneath there is it pretty obvious where it is it’s not hidden anywhere
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @tater your situation and photos have gotten me thinking.  I'm going to see if my cable runs to the TV is on a path that pulls it our relatively straight and not at a severe angle.  While making the repair you might consider this.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    Mine is fairly straight. It’s almost impossible to See in there.  I think it all came out but hard to tell. I don’t see the rest of the piece but I can also stick something pretty far in. It
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Assuming the switch worked as designed the trailer brakes should engage when you turn the battery on.
    If they don't then the pin is still engaged inside the switch.
    If the pin pulled out and broke, replace the pin.
    If the pin broke in two and the other end is still stuck in the switch or fell inside the switch, you need to take the switch apart first.

Related posts --

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    They did work it Is a brand new trailer. 
    I guess I’m just going to have to try to push in a new end. Hoping nothing is left in there. I’m not comfortable with taking it apart. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @Tater
    You will have to lay on your back and inspect the inside of the frame rails to see the switch.  It will be pretty obvious.  If a new end will fit into the switch all the way up to the shoulder of the pin then you are golden.  However, I am a little concerned about the way the pin broke.  Is that the way it came out of the switch?  Or did you run over it after it was out?  There is a possibility that the switch was damaged when the pin came out.  If so you may get a new pin to seat in the switch but the switch itself is no longer electrically viable--and you won't have emergency trailer brakes should you need them.
    Usually emergency breakaway switches are pretty much sealed units.  You might able to take them apart but there would probably be no way to get it all back together again so that it works properly.  
  • Options
    That’s the way I found it. I don’t think I ran over it. I did find the switch. It’s really hard to see in there. I’m going to try to put the new end in and will see what happens. I’m not going to take it apart if I can’t get it in. I will just have to get a new one. I read how to test them in the link above. Have you ever done that ?
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I have the coiled 6 foot cable and it works just fine.  It is a very tight coil.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    The point about the length of the cable is not how short it is when coiled, it is how far away the trailer has to get off of the ball before the cable pulls the pin.  As @tabiphilementioned above, if it is too long the trailer might rest on the chains (which is the reason why we cross the chains) but not pull the pin from the switch.
    The factory original cable (just a straight wire) on my 400 was too long.  On a trip it managed to get underneath the hitch.  I drove down a driveway apron and the hitch bottomed out--and severed the cable.  I didn't realize that and drove about 200 miles before I discovered the separated cable.  After some careful measurement I bought a 4 foot coiled cable.
    Some people--even some of the so-called "RV Instructional" sites--suggest wrapping a too long cable around the a-frame of the trailer to keep it from dragging on the ground.  By doing that you are also liable to prevent the cable from pulling the pin if you have a breakaway.
    It is unlikely that you could make a sharp enough turn to jerk the pin from the switch with a 4 foot cable--although I suppose you could get the cable hung up on the chains or hitch coupler if you route the cable over the frame instead of under the A-frame and straight to the connection point on your tow vehicle.  If you do make such a sharp turn and the pin releases you have bigger problems than the brakes.