Options

Outside Lagun table mount

Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
edited June 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I have a Lagun table in my 400 and I would like to put a mount on the outside for it as well. I think I have decided to mount it just to the left of the bay door. I plan to add a piece of plywood on the inside wall of the tab that the bolts will attach to (this will be in the rear part of the bay Area). I think this would be a useful area to mount it and also there are no electronics/plumbing in this area that I can damage! Has anyone done this modification on a 400? Any advice on the install?
Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Michael49, here's a thread by @Michigan_Mike.  Unfortunately, the first set of pictures he included are not opening up (at least for me.)  Maybe he will see this and chime in.......

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3608/lagun-table-pedestal-mod-for-outside-use/p1
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @Michael, Mike’s install was on a 320.  We had one installed on our CSS.  Word of advice - if you use an awning or side tent, make sure the table does not crowd the person in the corner.  Since the 400 is longer, that should not be a problem, but it has impacted our use of the outside Lagun mount.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Bayliss said:
    @Michael49, here's a thread by @Michigan_Mike.  Unfortunately, the first set of pictures he included are not opening up (at least for me.)  Maybe he will see this and chime in.......

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3608/lagun-table-pedestal-mod-for-outside-use/p1
    I saw that thread, but really wish the photos were there!!
  • Options
    @Michael, Mike’s install was on a 320.  We had one installed on our CSS.  Word of advice - if you use an awning or side tent, make sure the table does not crowd the person in the corner.  Since the 400 is longer, that should not be a problem, but it has impacted our use of the outside Lagun mount.
    Thankfully, I have my awning out right now! - so I tested it - it will just fit without interfering with the awning.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Okay, here are my photos of installing the outdoor Lagun table mount on my 2014 T@B S Max, including the instructions from nüCamp for the inside Lagun Mount. The mounting from nüCamp including a composite piece of “wood” that was about 3/4”x4” and a bit longer than the mounting plate. 

On my outside mount, there was a 2x4 under the passenger side bench that was flat to the side of the T&B S Max (forerunner of the 320 model). I was able to screw the mount into the 2x4 for a secure mount. 

You may need to ask tech@nucamprv.com where he would advise you to mount the Lagun on the 400.  I’ll look to see if I have any factory tour photos showing the makeup of the passenger side wall. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    These are photos of the standard 2018 T@B 400 on the factory assembly line. As you can see. There are no 2x4’s to attach to. If you could attach to the far rear, add plywood to the inside of the storage area, that area would give you the best opportunity of a sound attachment. 

Be very careful in the kitchen area as the rear of the fridge is next to the outer wall. Also be careful of the Alde fins under the kitchen drawer and under the kitchen sink. And the plumbing.....

I hope these help

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Verna said:
    These are photos of the standard 2018 T@B 400 on the factory assembly line. As you can see. There are no 2x4’s to attach to. If you could attach to the far rear, add plywood to the inside of the storage area, that area would give you the best opportunity of a sound attachment. 

Be very careful in the kitchen area as the rear of the fridge is next to the outer wall. Also be careful of the Alde fins under the kitchen drawer and under the kitchen sink. And the plumbing.....

I hope these help
    Thanks! If I do decide to go ahead with as I said I would mount it just behind the storage bay door - I don’t think there is anything there to hit :).  I will email Nucamp to ask about the composite piece for the outside. I would definitely use a 2x4 or a thick piece of plywood on the inside for a stronger mount.

Here is where I would mount it.......
  • Options
    @Michael49, yes, that looks good for a location. The Lagun table is so handy outside, such a versatile accessory. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @Michael49, yes, that looks good for a location. The Lagun table is so handy outside, such a versatile accessory. 
    Thanks.

I just heard back from NuCamp - the recommended that I purchase the outdoor composite mount from my dealer - I don’t have a dealer close by - did you order it direct from NuCamp?

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The Lagun Mount kit I got, (Marine version direct from Lagun) includes front polycarbonate plate to go between the mount and the mounting surface, and a backing plate to go behind the mounting surface, so the side of the Tab would be sandwiched between the two.  As shown above, the inside of,the storage compartment has a plywood inside wall already, so you could bolt through to it, but I would add a solid filler block between the inside ply wall and the Azdel outside wall, rigid foam or a layered plywood blocking would work, to keep the Azdel panel from oil-canning (flexing in when bolts are tightened.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Michael49, you need to order it from a dealer and have it drop shipped to you. We can no longer order from the factory. You can call parts to get part numbers, but a dealer like Missouri Teardrops is really great to work with, as I have been told. (I receive no compensation from them, by the way.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    The Lagun Mount kit I got, (Marine version direct from Lagun) includes front polycarbonate plate to go between the mount and the mounting surface, and a backing plate to go behind the mounting surface, so the side of the Tab would be sandwiched between the two.  As shown above, the inside of,the storage compartment has a plywood inside wall already, so you could bolt through to it, but I would add a solid filler block between the inside ply wall and the Azdel outside wall, rigid foam or a layered plywood blocking would work, to keep the Azdel panel from oil-canning (flexing in when bolts are tightened.
    cheers
    I think I would need something like the composite piece that NuCamp uses - the polycarbonate plate that comes with the Lagun mount is pretty thin and I realized that there needs to be more of a spacer between the exterior wall of the Tab and the mount or the Lagun will hit the side of the tab - I tested this in the photo above - also I want it to clear the lower trim so I can lower the table. 
  • Options
    @Michael49, if you don’t have the thin plates and the 3/4” thick plate, then you are missing one part. Call Parts on Monday and they will give you part numbers of all you need. Please do not us “real” wood to space it out. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yes, the nuCamp part would be better to get the clearance needed for the trim bit. 
    Cheers
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    @Michael49 , if you want to pay shipping, you can have my extra Lagun mount that I purchased yet never installed on my 2015 T@B.  I purchased it directly from a marine supply store.  It comes with the plastic backing plate.  pm me if interested.

• Options
    You can always use a couple layers of a cutting board.
  • Options
    @gooselady, if Michael49 is not interested, I am, PM sent.
    cheers.
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
  • Options
    I did not get the reply?  
  • Options
    @Denny16 - check gooselady’s wall.
  • Options
    Thanks, figured it out with your help.
    cheers
  • Options
    Missed out on the deal above :(, but just ordered a mount. Question though: It doesn't seem like the stock bolts would be long enough - I just installed an exterior solar port and the side of the tab is thick! 
  • Options
    @Michael49, what is the length of your screws? The sidewall is approximately 1 1/8” thick and then the plywood is between 5/8” to 3/4” thick. You really don’t want to have the screws sticking through the interior plywood. (Those exposed screw tips leave painful scratches!) 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @Michael49, what is the length of your screws? The sidewall is approximately 1 1/8” thick and then the plywood is between 5/8” to 3/4” thick. You really don’t want to have the screws sticking through the interior plywood. (Those exposed screw tips leave painful scratches!) 
    Just ordered the mount so I don't know, but I just wondered if the sock bolts were long enough.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited July 2020
    Michael49 said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers
    I think I would need something like the composite piece that NuCamp uses - the polycarbonate plate that comes with the Lagun mount is pretty thin and I realized that there needs to be more of a spacer between the exterior wall of the Tab and the mount or the Lagun will hit the side of the tab - I tested this in the photo above - also I want it to clear the lower trim so I can lower the table. 
    I purchased a piece of 2x4 PVC for my outside mount. Then a 3/4 inch piece of plywood for the inside as large as would fit to spread out the load. Haven't mounted it yet, but will buy longer bolts to go all the way through.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Michael49 said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers
    I purchased a piece of 2x4 PVC for my outside mount. Then a 3/4 inch piece of plywood for the inside as large as would fit to spread out the load. Haven't mounted it yet, but will buy longer bolts to go all the way through.
    Where did you purchase the PVC piece? - that's the next think I need to get. 
  • Options
    I like what Michael49 did to test his install location.  I am thinking a nice bit of hardwood mounted to the outside, and clamped by a backing board on the inside, would give a nice temp setup, without drilling any holes.  The longer front board setup against the top of the access door would work a treat.
    cheers