Options

Transitioning to Full Time Suggestions?

DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
In the next year, before I get too old, I've decided to become a full-timer.  I'm deluded enough to think I have the mechanics of RV park and boondock living down pat.  But can some of you wise and experienced FT folks clue me into everything I don't know that I don't know?

I'm watching as many YouTube vids as I can on the subject and I'm reading just as many newsletters and blogs.  But without a real address, how do youz guyz get camper and tow vehicle insurance, manage 401k and credit card and bank accounts for social security or distribution or pension deposits, especially with all the financial institutions that say they cannot work with mail forwarding / scanning services.

Are there mail scanning services that scan any non-junk mail that arrives, email you the PDF, or let you log into your secure account to view the letter, but then forward the physical audit letter from the IRS or equivalent to a physical mail address?

Do most of you use a kindly relative's physical address? Your fave RV park you like to stay in a couple times a year (if any offer mail storage service)?  I see lots of RV parks with $450-600 monthly rates, but are there parks with deeper discounts that offer a permanent physical address with a real box & key to cater to on-the-road RVers, but you can only stay there a few months per year when getting the camper or TV serviced and that sorta thing?

Do folks find internist doctors for an annual physical and dentists close to that pseudo home base or USPS P.O. box, or however y'all handle an address?

And when will an Amazon drone drop any size package at the GPS coordinates you provide so it's at your T@B step in the morning?

Any other jewels of wisdom?
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DougH, I used a UPS box and had them ship the contents periodically to me, or they would email me if the box got full. Why UPS?  If you had your debit or credit card compromised, your bank will not forward your card to where you are. I did find out later that my credit union thought my box number was an apartment as they actually require a physical residential address, but, it worked for the time I needed it. Also, UPS tossed the weekly ads so I really didn’t get junk mail. Caution—I didn’t get every piece of mail, finding out later it was missing when doing taxes. Also, since UPS is actually a business address, when you are ready to settle down, the USPS will not forward your mail. You need to contact everyone to change your address. 

Many people do use a mail service, many in South Dakota, Florida and Texas. You must spend one night a year in South Dakota to fulfill your residency requirements per their state laws. Some of these services scan either the envelope or the contents of the envelope. I didn’t use this service so my knowledge is by word of mouth from full timing friends. 

Of course, all your bills and notifications should be online, utilizing auto payments whenever possible. 

You didn’t ask about cell service. I did change from AT &T to Verizon cell service due to Verizon having better all over coverage where I like to be. (Yes, I retired from AT&T, but it had to be done.). There are other providers, and you’ll have to find out if they are better. I did increase to a 70 gig package so I could stream just about all I wanted. I also have a JetPack, but it is capped at 15 gig. I really need to down size my plan as I found my dream home and I don’t need that large of a package now. 

Insurance allowed me to be covered as long as I had a physical house address, my brother’s, and I maintained the renter’s insurance there. I kept a lockbox at his house and a few other things. The majority of my possessions were in two storage units. Insurance did allow a mailing address to the UPS box. 

UPS will ship to a physical address, an RV park that allows it, or to your nearest Post Office. A big part of where I spent my winters was made easier by the fact the office personnel did feel it was part of their job to accept all packages and keep it until you picked it up. 

I kept my same doctors, and I went to the two main Doctors at least once a year.  Make sure your insurance allows you to go to any Dr who allows Medicare (if that is your insurance) patients anywhere. I have friends who put off tests, etc until they get back home because their supplemental only allows certain Doctors in the hometown. I have had to use Immediate Care centers and have had no problem with my supplemental insurance paying. 

If your prescriptions are at a Major US-wide pharmacy (CVS, Walgreen’s, Walmart, etc.), then you can get your pharmacy changed to one close to your current location for your pickup. 

Most people who know me know I stopped fulltiming because of family medical issues and the need to stick around (willingly on my part), and less known is I found I’m really a homebody who needs a home base. It was a wonderful 18 month experience, not 5 years as planned. Do not be afraid to admit it’s not working out. It happens. By the same token, if you never want to go back to a stick built home, that’s great, too. You will find what you want. 

As far as a pandemic, a lot of the rules went out the window. Some states closed their borders to out of state campers. I understand Boondockers Welcome hosts came to the rescue of many full time campers who had no where to go. Check into Boondocker’s Welcome and Harvest Hosts for alternatives.  Also, keep a couple of weeks of food with you, TP, too, as we learned earlier this year. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna ; Thanks, plenty of things I hadn't considered.  Appreciation!

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I would only say 1 thing regarding Verna's very detailed experience driven reply. Make sure to double check the SD 1 night requirement, as I am pretty sure that was changed a few years ago. Although I didn't travel, I lived in an RV for 7 years and I used SD because that is where I grew up and had easy access to a "residential address". Even so, it was borderline as far as legal because I only spent 1 week per year there, which doesn't legally qualify you as a resident.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    ddx2ddx2 Member Posts: 2
    I'd recommend watching the early YouTube posts from You Me and the RV.  Though their rig is comparatively huge, they take the time to explain about residency requirements, how to get items shipped, Escapers club (which gives you a permanent address as part of the membership).  I think anyone considering FT would find them both entertaining and informative.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @ddx2 ; Added a half dozen of their vids on transitioning to my watch list.  Thanks

@Dutch061 ; I'm also looking at health care and other costs for where to establish residency.  Some states have a better / cheaper marketplace than others.  Not on Medicare yet.  Thanks

Oh and I still want Amazon delivery including groceries to my front porch anywhere on BLM or NFS land.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I believe thr Escapees club also has some resources and benefits for FT folks that might be worth checking out.

The one thing you have to watch is tax implications, if you are still working. Some states require you to pay income tax if you are working remotely in their state, for even a day.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DougH, if you’re not on Medicare yet, look into the supplement “F”. It is what allows you to go anywhere to a doctor/facility that accepts Medicare. You can get it at the first time you sign up, but after that you have a physical and at that time it is very exclusive as far as who they accept. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    We moved to a Health Sharing Program this year due to continually rising costs of the PPO we had. My employer paid most of mine but I had to pay part of mine and all of my wife. My monthly premium was close to $1K with an Annual out of Pocket Max (including premiums) of $20K. HDHP was almost as high with max at $19K. Health Share is $399.00 per month and max out of pocket including premiums of $6,70.00. It was a pretty easy decision to make.....

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC