Glycol level in 2020 T@B 320

I am finding it almost impossible to read the level of my glycol in my T@B 320. Any hints?
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Use a Sharpie to carefully mark the "Max" and "Min" lines on the tank.  The Century Transfer Fluid (often called Glycol) is fluorescent under UV light.  Lowe's sells a Craftsman UV flashlight that is very helpful in checking glycol levels and in finding leaked glycol--should you ever have a leak.
  • Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Thank you. I must not be approaching it correctly because I cannot see the lines. Perhaps I need a mirror on a stick to drop down into the space?
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
    I have a 400 not a 320, but I have heard that tank on the 320 is really tucked away inside a wall.  You may need to remove some panels to get to it.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @j@ydub, I bought one of those small Camco camping mirrors that has a wire standing bracket on the back. It is perfect for reading the glycol level, after using the Sharpie on the min/max Lines that @falcon1970 mentioned. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I pulled off the panel and can just see the max line. No idea what is going on below. I can’t imagine I am supposed to pull out the tank. Any 320 T@bber’s out there have any hints? Thanks!
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
    @j@ydub give us a photo to help you better, please
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    edited June 2020

Sorry I am not very good at this so I don’t know how to rotate the photo. I can see the MAX line but have no idea where the MIN line is. I can’t see it to mark it. Am I supposed to lift the tank out. I really appreciate your help. I feel a bit clueless.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Reverse the camera on your phone, slide the camera next to the tank and take a picture.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @j@ydub ; I remove cap and shine flashlight into tank, then internal level is easy to see.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    Or a mirror, but I like @Sharon_is_SAM’s idea of taking a selfie of the glycol reservoir 😉
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    I actually cannot see the max line. It was the logo. I can see the that it is half full (UV light works great) but no idea how full is too full.  Starting to feel quite foolish!
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
    @j@ydub
    My Alde manual says when cold the glycol should be about 1/2" above the min line.  As the fluid warms up it will expand and approach the max line.  There is still room above the max line for the fluid to expand without splashing into the overflow tube.
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @j@ydub, the "MAX" line is a little below the logo on the expansion tank, and at approximately the middle of the tank itself.  Below is a factory photo, which shows the tank from a different angle.  The original photo (first one) was hard for me to read clearly, but I cropped that photo and have identified the "MAX" line with a yellow arrow (second photo.)  I marked that line with a black Sharpie on my expansion tank (third photo.)  Unfortunately, I now see that my photo is a bit blurry, but hopefully you get the general idea.

All the suggestions above are good ones.  In addition to using a mirror, maybe shine a flashlight on the mirror itself, or angle the flashlight toward the middle of the tank, and you should be able to see at least the "MAX" line.  I agree that it is hard to see since it is merely stamped into the side of the plastic, but using the flashlight in conjunction with a small mirror may help.  Finally, I have included a drawing of the tank from the Alde user manual, which provides a good depiction of the "MIN" and "MAX" lines.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Thank you so much for all your help. It looks like I am in a safe zone with what I have. Boy trying to imagine 1/2” above something you cannot see in a space that it very tight is quite challenging. Makes me think I am too old to start this new hobby!! They say you are supposed to check it every month or so. I don’t think that is going to happen! I obviously need to take up yoga.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @j@ydub, others may have differing opinions, but I believe that how often you check it is really dependent upon how much you use it.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Maybe once you get a handle on where the max and min lines are, you could fashion some sort of a dipstick to facilitate future level checks.
    The expansion tank in my 2015 is a bit more accessible, as the rear deck carpentry was simpler in earlier models. Regardless, I still don't worry about checking it monthly. I rarely use the Alde for cabin heat, and I've I've needed to add glycol exactly once in six years--and even that was just a few ounces to top things up.
    2015 T@B S
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @j@ydub it truly is a pain in the behind! I just checked mine today. I have to lay on my left side to unscrew and remove the panel, then I have to roll to my stomach or hunch up on my knees to basically get my head close to that opening so I can see the side of the glycol reservoir. I use a regular flashlight and shine it pointed down from the top of the reservoir which makes the fluorescent glycol visible. You might be able to feel the raised lettering on the side of the reservoir for the min and max; I can see it when the flashlight is shining down.  I marked the lines to help. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• 2manyplaces2manyplaces Member Posts: 20
     Hi New owner of 2018 320S T@b
    dsfdogs 
    We have been playing with the Aldi today but can't see the glycol expansion tank !!  We have tried a mirror but cant see a tank at all. we can feel the bottom!
    Which panel did you unscrew ?? We cant see where to take it all apart. 
    Help !
    There is also a clear plastic tube from under the back "shelf/cupboard loose into a drain that goes to the outside through the floor. with some glycol in it !!! Do we need to worry ?

A lot to learn as a newbie!!

2018 320S
    Vancouver Island.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited July 2020
    @2manyplaces - here is a thread regarding glycol tank location:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/134204#Comment_134204

The clear tubing is an overflow tube - no need to worry.  Make sure your Alde pump is at 1.5 to 2 setting to prevent excess churning and overflow.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Maybe that's why it got relocated in the 2021's...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @2manyplaces for the 2018 320S, the expansion tank is in the right back corner.  The link Sharon provided is great, just start at the top and scroll down a bit until you find your year/model.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• 2manyplaces2manyplaces Member Posts: 20
    Thank you @Sharon_is_SAM. problem solved! Glycol fine! on to explore some more!
    2018 320S
    Vancouver Island.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    So finally decided to try the Alde tonight in our 2021 CS-S.. took the cover off to double check the glycol before firing the Alde up..thanks to @falcon1970 and @Verna...for the sharpie and mirror suggestions...although I got a bit carried away with the sharpie, I can read min and max beautifully now too!, Hubby says I was colouring the words in..the small mirror was a purchase for our T@g and it's definitely found its place in the T@b...such a treat to have onboard heat!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    That’s great @ontheroad!   
    Verna, Columbus, IN