Options

2021 T@B 400 CO/LP Detector False Alarming

I've had two occasions now where the CO/LP detector goes off with the trailer sitting empty in my driveway, with the LP tank shut off.
It's full on hot here, and the temp inside the trailer is hot...as in 105.
Has anyone else had this happen?
I'm wondering if the heat is causing enough outgassing from the new fabric/cushions etc. to set off the alarm.
Or is there another known cause for it going off when empty, closed up and unused for a few days?
Thanks!
After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Check your on AGM battery voltage. Low voltage sometimes brings in an alarm.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @ChrisFix We have the T@B 400 2019 BDL and experienced the same with a 90 degree day in TN just last week. It was 110 in the trailer and the alarm went off and was flashing red as well. Our battery was fully charged and I suspected another gas and noted the toilet toss ins were in a ziplock in the bathroom and the label indicated to store at less than 100 degrees. Took those out and the next several hot days we noted no alarm. They had been partially used by the prior owner and the bag may not have been completely sealed. Maybe a coincidence. I wonder if we have a chemist who would know if the contents heated would produce a gas that would set off the
    detector. ?bronopol (2-bromo-2-nitropropan-1,3-diol) (20–30% w/w)

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    I just got on the forum because we had exactly this issue this evening.  We picked up our 2021 T@B 320 S Boondock last Friday.  It's now in our driveway in full sun.  This evening when outside for another reason, we heard an alarm going off in the trailer - the LP/CO alarm.  It wasn't the low battery.  It was either the LP or the CO alarm - just read the instruction manual so I can tell the difference in the future.

We weren't running any gas appliances - or other appliances.  In fact, the LP container has been valved off since we left the dealer's lot last Friday.   We are smelling what seems like off-gassing of some kind.  Yesterday we opened the windows and ran the fan for that reason, but hadn't done that today because of chance of rain. 

I'm going to e-mail NuCamp and my dealer.  I'll post if I hear anything.  
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Verna said:
    Check your on AGM battery voltage. Low voltage sometimes brings in an alarm.
    Not a low voltage situation for this one...I'm plugged in (and have solar) and the batteries are fully charged. 
    But good to know that is a possible situation in the future.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    schout said:
     It was either the LP or the CO alarm - just read the instruction manual so I can tell the difference in the future.

I didn't know the alarm was different depending on which problem it was sounding off about...good info to know.
    I'm going to have to find the instruction manual to understand how to differentiate the two as well.
    Like you, my LP tank is shut off and no LP was used during the past week...but I don't know if it was alarming for LP or CO.
    Please do let us know if you find out anything from NuCamp...
  • Options
    schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    Below is the response I received from NuCamp: 

"So first and foremost - since it is a safety alarm going off I do from a safety standpoint recommend having it inspected by your dealer or any dealer. 

I do see those alarms fault from time to time - even on brand new trailers. So if there was no low battery, it could be a faulty monitor. 

I have seen brand new units offgas from the fresh stain on the cabinetry before. Please allow the unit to ventilate for a little while."

My dealer added that he's seen this happen before.  He suggested running the heat to speed up the curing of things causing off-gassing.  He also said folks have used products like Damp Rid.  

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Damp rid and we always leave the trailer vented...roof vent and windows when we're not using it...even in Ontario we can reach 100* in the trailer easily...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Chris99Chris99 Member Posts: 1
    This week we also experienced the same problem in our new 2021 T@B 400 Boondock.  The trailer was in the driveway closed up with nothing on and the propane tank turned off.  It was warm (in the 90's) and humid in the late morning/early afternoon when the CO/LP alarm has gone off.  Opening the door and windows with the fan in exhaust mode keeps the alarm from going back on after being reset.  In the evening after closing the trailer back up and turning the fan off, the alarm stays off until the next day with the same weather conditions.  This has now happened on 3 different days.
    The trailer is plugged in the and the battery is fully charged.  Seems like there is a lot more outgassing going on than I would have thought or there is a batch of detectors too sensitive to heat and/or humidity. 
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock
    2019 F-250 4x4 6.2L
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Heat and humidity do not set off CO/LP detectors.  Most likely you have some out gassing that is setting it off.  Try leaving your vent open and widows open during the day for a few days or more, to allow the trailer to breathe and out gas the new materials and glue vapors.  I even do this with a new vehicle.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Chris99 said:
    This has now happened on 3 different days.
    The trailer is plugged in the and the battery is fully charged.  Seems like there is a lot more outgassing going on than I would have thought or there is a batch of detectors too sensitive to heat and/or humidity. 
    Mine went off again yesterday evening...after another very hot and humid day. When I went in the 400 to silence it, there was the very noticeable scent of outgassing (think new car smell on steroids) which I have to think is the cause of the alarm going off.
    I opened the bath vent and cracked the fantastic fan, and that seems to keep the alarm from coming back on.
  • Options
    kellywkellyw Member Posts: 56
    I just brought my new 400 Boondock home yesterday and the CO2/Propane leak detector has been going off non-stop. Batteries are fully charged. Propane has been off since leaving dealer. Trailer is parked in driveway the smell inside is nauseating and getting stronger. I’ve tried leaving windows open and fans blowing. Now I’ve plugged it in and running AC with fans going. It’s not going off now but how long is the off-gassing going to happen? When is it off-gassing and when is it a problem with the detector?
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock White/White; TV: 2020 Honda Ridgeline 
    2015 T@B Sofitel Silver/Silver;  TV: 2011 Honda Pilot
    Maryland's Eastern Shore - Ravens, Crabs, Bohs & O's!

Traveling with Violet Bean, most of the time...
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    What does it smell like?  A battery that is overcharging can smell like rotten eggs, and could be dangerous.  Turn the battery off and unplug, air out the trailer.    A propane alarm going off "could" be a sign of something more serious than just the "new car smell."
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    It’s a chemical smell. It’s not rotten eggs or propane. It’s not gone off since I started running the AC tonight but I really don’t want to keep that going for ever

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2020
    @kellyw, can you open your windows to the lock position (only open a an inch or so and locked), open the roof vent ( if it’s not raining), and turn on a portable fan to get some fresh air inside, and push out the outgassing air?  That way you don’t have to use the A/C all night. 

Maybe your glycol reservoir cap has fallen off.  That’s the only chemical smell I could think of that would be inside. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Yes, I would definitely open up, and air out any new trailer or vehicle.  I took the front part roof off my Jeep Gladiator truck when I first got it to help gas out the interior.  Depending on the weather, this can take a month or so to do.
    cheers
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2020
    The other "chemical" smell in my trailer once came from a completely empty gray water tank.  It was acrid and bitter.  Toss a gallon of water down the shower drain, and for good measure, down the sink drain.  "If" the trailer has been winterized, it may be some of the antifreeze in the drain traps.  Antifreeze for an RV is pretty safe, and usually won't have a smell, and its is a long shot.  It could, might,maybe be just plumbing gas from an empty tank or an empty drain trap.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    kellyw said:
    .....how long is the off-gassing going to happen?
    Off gassing can take months to finish. Heat and ventilation will both speed the process significantly. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna, @pthomas745 and @Denny16 - I’ll try those things. The AC and fans ran for several hours. I just turned off the AC for the night and so far no alarm. The smell wasn’t as bad when I went in to turn it off. Not sure if the heat was exacerbating the issue but it’s not as hot in there now or outside. I’ll open everything up again in the morning. Thanks again

• Options
    If it is not raining leave the roof vent open and the windows in the locked open position to get some air movement in during the night, and early morning.
    cheers
  • Options
    kellyw said:
    I just brought my new 400 Boondock home yesterday and the CO2/Propane leak detector has been going off non-stop. Batteries are fully charged. Propane has been off since leaving dealer. Trailer is parked in driveway the smell inside is nauseating and getting stronger. I’ve tried leaving windows open and fans blowing. Now I’ve plugged it in and running AC with fans going. It’s not going off now but how long is the off-gassing going to happen? When is it off-gassing and when is it a problem with the detector?
    @kellyw
    My 2021 400 Boondock also had a lot of out-gassing when I got it - and it had been on a dealer's lot for a spell before I took possession. Yours being brand new, I imagine it is even stronger. A combination from the new foam cushions, cabinet finishes, flooring adhesive, etc. I have to guess. And it was definitely worse when the camper was sitting unused in the sun.My camper now just has "new camper" smell, instead of chemical factory, so it will get better.
    But the CO/LP detector going off has been an ongoing problem for me 3 months and 30+ nights in the camper. Even with the fantastic fan open, it goes off randomly at night - usually 4 to 6 beeps, then silence and back to a green led (which is way too bright btw - lights the entire camper). Not great for a good night's sleep.
    I've called Creed twice on this now, and his suggestion was to give it some time to air out...but I think I'm passed that point now and am going to ask for a replacement detector to see if it behaves any better. I'm at the point of disconnecting it and taking my chances!
  • Options
    @ChrisFix I hope they get it taken care of soon. Mine has been airing out for a few days now and it hasn’t gone off again. The real test will be leaving it closed up and it not going off. I’m going to give it another couple days and test out my theory. I don’t have a trip scheduled yet but want to make sure this is just a new trailer thing and not an issue with the detector. The smell has gone down somewhat. Good luck with yours. That sounds like it’s a defective detector. Are you running the AC and fan while it’s still going off?

• Options
    @kellyw
    Yes, air conditioner on (NC heat and humidity) and the fantastic fan vent open and on fan speed 1...with bath vent in open position, but usually with the fan off.

• Options
    ChrisFix said:
    @kellyw
    Yes, air conditioner on (NC heat and humidity) and the fantastic fan vent open and on fan speed 1...with bath vent in open position, but usually with the fan off.

Definitely sounds like you got a dud detector. :( After 4 days of running the fans and keeping window And door open with screens pulled - I shut everything off tonight and left the windows in vent positions. So far so good but it’s not that hot out tonight. I’ll see what happens tomorrow. Planning on driveway camping this weekend to do my “shakedown” and get everything (paired down) moved over from the 320 so I can get ready to sell that one. 

Here’s a picture: 

I towed it home with the pilot and not the ridgeline because I still need to get brake controller installed on truck. 

• Options
    I think I’m in the clear on the CO2/LP detector. It’s been pretty warm and it hasn’t gone off in a couple days being left without fan running and just having fan and windows vented. Seems like the off gassing is over, yay! Thanks again everyone for the suggestions they really helped. 

• Options
    My 2021 T@B 400 CO/LP detector had reliably false alarmed (4 to 6 beeps, then silence) 2 to 3 times a day since new (June 2020).
    I received a warranty replacement last week, and have had my first two camping nights in SILENCE - not a peep from the offending detector!
    So, if your new CO/LP detector insists there is a problem that doesn't exist, you might need to get a replacement.
    I can't tell you how nice it is to not have my sleep interrupted by a spurious alarm from Hades!!
  • Options
    Glad you got a new one that’s resolved the issue @ChrisFix. When we set out to go camping on Sunday the camper was parked in the garage for a few days where everything was closed up - and the alarm was going off again. It wasn’t out in the sun, but wasn’t ventilated either. I’ve been out camping for a few days and it hasn’t gone off unexpectedly but I’ve been keeping the vents open so thankfully no middle of the night wake up calls either. I’ll have to see if it goes off again unexpectedly once I close it up again. Good to know yours was resolved and you can sleep peacefully now! 

• Options
    DM159DM159 Member Posts: 43
    Our 2022 TAB 400 has been parked in our drive since Jan. with one short trip south without a peep.  Today the CO/LP alarm will not reset or shut off even with the door and roof vent open (36degF outside) for 2 hours.  Had ALDI heating up just like it did  previously on the 30amp power at home.  LP valve closed nice and snug.  We have used the stove in the weeks past without any alarm sounds.  Not sure what to do or what we are missing.  Suggestions?   
    2023 TAB 400 with modifications in process.

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2022
    @DM159, I don't have a specific suggestion for you, but take a look at this discussion thread to see if it provides any helpful info, particularly re the "fault" function of the detector:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10155/carbon-monoxide-detector-question#latest

You may want to add the manufacturer and model number of the detector to your post.  That may assist others in helping you out.  Also, it is not clear from your post as to what sound(s) you are hearing (e.g., occasional or intermittent beeps, constant alarm, etc.)  Additionally, you may find an answer in the trouble-shooting section of the detector's owner's manual.  If all else fails, contact the manufacturer and/or nuCamp and get a replacement detector under warranty.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    DM159DM159 Member Posts: 43
    Thanks for the suggestions Bayliss.  Our CO/LP detector is an "RV Safe RVCOLP" and had the CO alarm active (red light flash with 4 chirps).  Used the reset function that stopped the chirp but went to long tone and then resumed the CO alarm function.  We removed the bed foam mattress (outgassing?) and all cleaning chemicals.  The LP tank valve has been closed the whole time.  The bathroom door has been closed throughout this effort.  One other thing, we had lowered the dinette table and placed all the bedding (mattress pads) on the cushions and floor in front of the sensor.  Thus trapping the air while the alarm was chirping.  The door was open as well as the roof vent for 2 hours hoping to exhaust all the air.  
    Last night I turned off ALDE and locked up with the alarm sounding off.  This morning it is 23degF inside and NO alarm.  Back to green light Ready Status.  After reading all threads related to CO/LP issues and acting on those suggestions, we still have no idea what set off our alarm.  
    2023 TAB 400 with modifications in process.