Streaming Netflix from iPhone to TV

Has anybody been successful in streaming downloaded shows from the iPhone Netflix app to the TV via the Apple HDMI adapter?  When I try it I don't get any audio to the Jensen via Bluetooth.  This is with the Apple HDMI adapter plugged into the TV HDMI port and the sound sent to the Jensen via Bluetooth.  I've downloaded shows on both the Amazon Prime app and the Netflix app.  The Amazon Prime app shows allow me to transmit the audio to the Jensen via Bluetooth, but the Netflix app has no option for that and I get no audio.  Any suggestions, other than only watching Amazon Prime downloaded shows?
Rich
2019 T@b 400
2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
Bellingham WA

Comments

• JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @Horigan
    I think when you disconnect the HDMI adapter from the television to plug in the Apple adapter, you lose HDMI ARC or the pass through. I tried a splitter and Bluetooth to the radio and got tired of messing with it. I use a cheap sound bar connected to the headphone jack on the tele. It works fine for me.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    I could not get audio with the app despite many different attempts. I finally bought an Apple TV and use the mirror option. Works great. I had trouble with the audio and with the help of the forum used the remote to set audio to TV and bypassed the stereo option.  
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Horigan, to bypass the audio through the Jensen stereo system (which uses the wall speakers), open the TV functions menu ("MENU" button on the TV remote), click on the "Audio" function and navigate down to "TV Speaker," which is where you can turn the TV's internal speaker "on" or "off."  When you want to revert back to receiving the TV sound through the external speakers (via the stereo HDMI connection), you will need to go back to the TV audio setting and turn the TV speaker "off."

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    Another option another option is install Apple TV and just turn on mirroring. Anything on your iPhone gets broadcast to the Tab screen thru the HDMI connection between your Apple TV and the TV
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    Thanks all.  I'll check into toggling the TV speakers on and off when I play Netflix.  I'd rather be able to hear the audio through the wall speakers, which the Amazon Prime app enables, but oh well.  Now I just need to get my TV remote replaced since it's never really worked with the TV.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Horigan, I'm not sure what issues you are experiencing with your remote, but you might check the batteries to be sure they are not the problem.  Sometimes, when my TV remote at home is not working, I simply rotate the batteries and that seems to resolve the problem for some reason.  Usually, however, I just test the batteries and determine they are low and need replacing. 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Thanks.  I replaced the batteries and still don't get any indication that it's transmitting, either from the LED on the top or any response from the TV.  Frankly, I've never confirmed it ever worked.  Luckily I'm still barely under warranty.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    On a lot of remotes, you can test them by aiming them at your cell phones camera.  Press a button and you should see a flash on the phone screen.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    Good to know!  Tried it and still no response.  I have a return/replacement request into ASA Electronics for the remote.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
    Just follow up on my resolution.  When trying to play downloaded Netflix movies from my iPhone, I could not get the audio to play through the Jensen stereo via Bluetooth when using the Apple iPhone HDMI adapter for video to TV.  I was able to with Amazon Prime, primarily by using the menu option to direct where to send the audio (Airplay icon, rectangle over solid triangle).  Netflix doesn't have the Airplay icon to direct where to send the sound, but I found if you direct sound to the Bluetooth Jensen via another app first, like Pandora, the Netflix audio will play through the Jensen while we watch downloaded Netflix movies.

On a related note, ASA replaced my defective TV remote so now I could turn on the TV sound if I wanted to.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    For pre-2021 T@Bs, and for those of us with androids, not iphones, my way-smarter-than-me son had me amazon-buy the following two items to use with my Samsung Galaxy S9: 

4K HDMI Cable 6.6 ft, iVANKY High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable, 4K HDR, 3D, 2160P, 1080P, Ethernet - Braided HDMI Cord 32AWG, Audio Return(ARC) Compatible UHD TV, Blu-ray, PS4, PS3, PC, Projector

and 

USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), CHOETECH USB Type C (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) to HDMI Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy S10/S9/S8/Note 8/9,MacBook Pro/MacBook Air/iPad Pro 2019/2018, Dell XPS 13/15

the cable plugs into my phone charger port, plug one cable into the other cable, then plug cable into the HDMI ARC on the back of the Jensen TV (requires unplugging plug from Jensen receiver which uses that HDMI ARC port).  You now mirror the phone screen, and can stream netflix or amazon prime or any video through the phone. 

Then, set Jensen receiver to bluetooth, and you get audio through the speakers.

happy camper...
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @rcarlson1957 how do you turn on "mirroring" on the iphone?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
    Just plug in the Apple HDMI adapter into the iPhone and TV and it happens automatically, at least it did for me.  You’ll need an HDMI cable. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    lkc001 said:
    @rcarlson1957 how do you turn on "mirroring" on the iphone?
    In iOS 13 mirroring can be accessed from the Control Center.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • SolidCamperSolidCamper Member Posts: 20
    Interesting discussion. Especially in light of my discussion with Technical Support Harold of Jensen yesterday, who said that one cannot send the audio via Bluetooth to the stereo "house" speakers. I'm disappointed in Jensen and NuCAmp for not anticipating these obvious needs, which forces everyone to become an audio cowboy, having to concoct some way that will work.
    I thought that using an HDMI splitter would work. From FireStick, split to (1) the television, and (2) the Jensen unit. Didn't work. (The USB port on Television did work well to power my firestick).
    My work-around to get the sound out of the "house" speakers was to use a 6ft long male-to-male AUX cable from the headphone jack of the Television (far right as viewed from below), to the aux port on the right lower side of the Jensen receiver. Not particularly elegant, but it works flawlessly.
    MarvinD- Newton, MA, USA  2020 T@B 320S Boondock Lite/ TV: 2013 Chevy Avalanche 
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Interesting discussion. Especially in light of my discussion with Technical Support Harold of Jensen yesterday, who said that one cannot send the audio via Bluetooth to the stereo "house" speakers. I'm disappointed in Jensen and NuCAmp for not anticipating these obvious needs, which forces everyone to become an audio cowboy, having to concoct some way that will work.
    I thought that using an HDMI splitter would work. From FireStick, split to (1) the television, and (2) the Jensen unit. Didn't work. (The USB port on Television did work well to power my firestick).
    My work-around to get the sound out of the "house" speakers was to use a 6ft long male-to-male AUX cable from the headphone jack of the Television (far right as viewed from below), to the aux port on the right lower side of the Jensen receiver. Not particularly elegant, but it works flawlessly.
    Do you have the new Jensen Cube? I thought that you could plug whatever source device into the HDMI input and it would send audio to the speakers and video to the TV...
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Smitty021Smitty021 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2020
    For those who are streaming, I purchase a blue tooth transmitter, and plugged into the headphone jack on the TV. I can plug any device into the TV HDMI now, and get sound in the Jensen system. They are only ~$20.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_G4LsFbQS1V94Y

This worked on my 2019 T@B 400, but would assume it would work on any Jensen system that has Bluetooth.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Smitty021 - Welcome to the forum.  Please identify the TaB that you have and the Jensen system you are using as it varies by model and year.  Please create a signature line so that some of us can see what TaB you have😁
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • perryjanieperryjanie Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2023
    I've been down that road too, and it can be a bit frustrating when things don't work as smoothly as we hope. I've heard that the Apple HDMI adapter can be a bit finicky at times, and different apps can behave differently. You mentioned that the Amazon Prime app allows you to transmit audio via Bluetooth, but the Netflix app doesn't have that option – that's definitely a tricky situation.
    Have you ever heard of "Watch Netflix or Money"? It's a helpful resource that can save you from searching through apps and settings. You can quickly check if the show or movie you want to watch is available in your region before going through all the hassle.