Options

Surge protector

Can I ask if anyone uses a surge protector? And if so, what brand you all recommend? Thank you! Wow..I'm going down the rabbit hole! Just got the plug in figured out...then find out I need a "surge protector"!

Comments

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497

https://youtu.be/z6P1MUDfWO0

Here is a YouTube that discusses the difference between a basic vs advanced surge protector.  Keep in mind, low voltage is a more common problem than you realize and can damage some of the electronics in the TaB.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had an EMS installed before I took delivefy of both of my T@bs and have always been glad. At my recent stay at a CG the powere went on and off numerous times over the course of 2 hours. I was thankful for the peace of mind.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Last summer, the local power company had a component become defective in the power substation, and low power was being delivered to the RV park I was staying at. I thought my CoolCat was short-cycling and that it was unable to handle the high 90’s temps we were having. 

Nope, the Progressive Industries EMS installed when I purchased my 400 was denying the voltage to pass through to my 400. It actually saved the CoolCat and other components that could have been damaged or destroyed by the low voltage. I was money ahead by purchasing the EMS because a new CoolCat would certainly have cost more. 

A thought to help with your decision....you can’t see electricity, whether high, low or within limits, but it can damage in less than a blink of an eye, or it can just continue powering your components. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    OK...OK...you two convinced me! I'm switching to the EMS version.  ;)
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Plus one owner/user of the hardwired Progressive Industries EMS.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Some parks I stay in have the following on their web sites: "Power Cord adapters/ converters are not allowed to be used on any pedestals."  Does that mean our Camping World sub-$100 dongle protector thing is discouraged and I should add an internal EMS?  Or are some of these parks worried about something else, like people connecting 50A cords to a 30A circuit with an adapter?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    edited July 2020
    @DougH, perhaps the possibility of theft (I have only seen one instance of that reported on Facebook), or maybe they just didn’t like the looks of the portable units. 

The RV Park I was at last summer had a rule posted on every pedestal saying there would be no 50 amp to 30 amp adapters allowed. I never did ask why. 

Some RV parks have something happen once and don’t want a reoccurrence to happen, even though it may never happen again. One bad apple type of occurrence. 

I do admit to liking the internally wired EMS...I’m not lazy, but it’s one thing removed from the check list, and one less thing to worry about. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I have the Hughes' Power Watchdog Protector + EPO, the specs look similar to the other two described. I'm kind of a rebel so I went with the less popular and liked I didn't need to have access to the display if a failure occurred. I struggled with the decision to put one on and I'm an electronics engineer that routinely tests all these line issues on our products. What convinced me to get one is that homes rarely have issues unless a lightning strike happens close to your home and even then protection is fairly easy. BUT RV parks are not regularly maintained by the utility company and all kinds of bozos wire up weird things that seem to work.  This convinced me $200-300 for a good protector saves a lot of expensive to repair equipment.  I did a permanent install as it seemed easier to deal with than storing and plugging / locking it to the trailer...
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Went with the Southwire 30amp EMS unit with wireless comm. Shoud do the trick. Only one left on the shelf. Clerk said they can't keep them on the shelf...and more and more he's seeing 30-40 somethings getting into RVing. (Think they may have more disposable income at that age than I did!).

Guess I'd argue that these devices are not "adapters" or "converters". They don't adapt to/from anything (same male/female plugs) and don't convert anything so their prohibition doesn't apply.  

And I don't wish to be "that guy" but...if a park refuses to permit me to protect my electrical systems with a device like this, then I'll simply require them to cover the cost of any repairs as a result of any electrical failures. By prohibiting these devices that are widely known to be reliable and safe, they're essentailly saying they can guarantee the power supply is protected to at least the same degree as these devices. 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited July 2020
    DougH said:
    Some parks I stay in have the following on their web sites: "Power Cord adapters/ converters are not allowed to be used on any pedestals."  Does that mean our Camping World sub-$100 dongle protector thing is discouraged and I should add an internal EMS?  Or are some of these parks worried about something else, like people connecting 50A cords to a 30A circuit with an adapter?
    Power Cord adapters/converters are not the same thing as Surge Protectors or Electrical Management Systems (EMS).
    I imagine the RV Park's concern is people connecting an RV that requires 50A service with an underrated 30A power cord to the 50A outlet via a dogbone or adapter (or similar use of an inadequate cord for the actual amperage draw of the RV) with the attendant risk of melt down and fire.
    Connecting an overrated (for the service requirement) 50A cord to a 30A outlet, when used with a 30A trailer isn't an issue, and just provides lots of overhead, electrically speaking.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    ChrisFix said:
    DougH said:
    Power Cord adapters/converters are not the same thing as Surge Protectors or Electrical Management Systems (EMS).
    I imagine the RV Park's concern is people connecting an RV that requires 50A service with an underrated 30A power cord to the 50A outlet via a dogbone or adapter (or similar use of an inadequate cord for the actual amperage draw of the RV) with the attendant risk of melt down and fire.
    Indeed.
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    On my old T@b, the EMS saved from a reversed polarity and a voltage drop. I chose Progressive because of their reputation and their lifetime guarantee. When I was doing my research, I discovered they had always stood by their promise.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    There are dog bone adapters out there that allow plugging into both a 30 and 20 outlet simultaneously adapting to a 50 amp connector.  There is also a version that allow 2 30 amp plug ins  to obtain 50 or more amps to trailer.  I believe it is cross wiring circuits in such a manner they are prohibiting.

There is no guarantee that the two outlets are in phase which can lead to serious issues.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    What is the advantage of an interior surge protector over an external one? Do the interior ones need an electrician to install? 
  • Options
    What is the advantage of an interior surge protector over an external one? Do the interior ones need an electrician to install? 
    The primary advantage is convenience. One less thing to worry about when setting up and tearing down and you will.never forget to plug it in.

My brother had a 30 amp outlet installed by an electrician for me at his house. The Profressive unit stopped the voltage because the electrician had wired it for 250v. Once, again, worth every cent.

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I installed the Hughes under the bench seat for the reasons Jenn stated and there is plenty of room. It was straight forward it simply goes in series with the inlet and where the wire used to go. But I'm very comfortable working with wires, small and large. If wiring a new outlet, light or switch in your house is intimidating hire someone! Also if you think it should be easy but don't really know what you're doing, hire someone!
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    Hello,

I am asking a favor. Would someone please post a photo of electrical surge protector installed on a T@b 400? I would specifically like to see a Progressive EMS - HW30C, both the unit and the display head if anyone has one.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583

2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    My electronics are same as @atlasb, but display is outside inside Alde door next to the red bypass valve. Probably not an option with new ones with Natulius, but works great, you can check display outside after power on.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    Thanks. I am looking to install one shortly.

I have a 2018 400, so I don't have the new water control panel. I need to think about the display. I was thinking inside the closet. I think the protection is worthwhile, but I don't expect to need to read the panel very often.

Again, thanks so much.

Bil
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2020
    But having the display in the Alde access door above the red bypass valve is nice, when hooking up to look at voltage and see any error messages. I think @N7SHG_Ham had a good Indra, especially if you mount the surge protector where atlasb did.  Saves having to run inside to look in the closet.  The 
    display is fully protected once the access door is closed and locked.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    You should note that the display is bright red and continuously cycles through different displays - you might find this annoying to look at.  We mounted ours inside the wardrobe so it doesn't worry us.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Denny16 yes, exactly why I put it there or rather requested the factory put it there. Super convenient to not go inside to see if all ok. Very short wire run is a plus too.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    ‘Twas a grand idea my friend, I may do the same, when the external one dies.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    I wire tied the display to the arm of the TV. It is hidden unless you want to see it and does not add light to the T@bin at night.

I am happy with this mod.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    Does anyone know if the factory will install the internal EMS during the build of a new 400?  
  • Options
    @runaway30, check with your dealer. These are not “normal” times for the factory and the rules might change, so it’s hard to give a definite answer that is correct. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited October 2020
    @runaway30 - unless they add that as a standard or optional feature to a new model, it will not be part of the build.  If you place an order for a new unit, you can arrange for the placement of the EMS post production per the nuCamp Non-warranty Repair Dept. arranged through your order via your dealer.   The other option is to have your dealer install the EMS upon delivery to the dealer.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86

Thank you, its so nice to have all of your support.