Options

Weatherproof storage for Boondock platform

Cargo Platform Storage Boxes

Recent models of Nucamp Boondock-optioned trailers come with a sturdy cargo platform on the front. While these platforms provide no weatherproof storage, adapting off-the-shelf commercial toolboxes described here can provide more than 5 cu. ft. of additional weatherproof storage space (with a box mounted on each side). These boxes, when installed as described below, extend almost exactly to the width of the trailer for good space utilization.

The box lid comes fitted with a waterproof seal and has a provision for a padlock. This method secures the boxes to the cargo platforms from underneath with carriage bolts, a design that prevents removal of a locked box using simple hand tools. However, the box material would not withstand prying or bashing by a determined thief. Steel plates described in the mounting method help reduce stress and fatigue on the box bottoms caused by vibration during use on rugged roads.  The parts cost is about $75 per box.

The final installation is shown below:

Parts (per box):

• Two 16 gauge, galvanized steel plates approx. 8x12 in. (Ace Hardware sells 8x24 in. plates that can be cut in half. The UPC number for that part is 53538517045)
  • 3 of each: 5/16 in. diameter x ½ in. long carriage bolts, split lock washers, and nuts.

Instructions (for one box):

This procedure allows the bottom of the box and cargo platform to be sandwiched between the two steel plates, one under the cargo platform and the other inside the box.

Invert the toolbox, and using an angle grinder, rasp, or chisel, remove the molded feet from the bottom of the box so that the surface is flat and smooth. See photo below.

Position the box upright on the cargo platform and push it in firm contact against the rear support rail and the propane bin. Working from underneath the platform, use a pencil to outline three of the platform circles on the bottom of the box. Choose two circles at the front of the platform and one in the middle. See diagram below. This configuration may give the best support against wind forces.

Hold one of the steel plates under the platform in the front-outboard position to cover the three holes traced in the previous step. If necessary, trim a corner for a better fit. Using a pencil from the top, trace the three circles to the plate.

Clamp the two steep plates together with the tracing visible on the top, and with a 5/16 in. bit, drill through both plates in the approximate center of one of the traced circles. Temporarily drop one of the carriage bolts through the hole to keep the two plates aligned, and drill a second hole near the center of one of the other circles. Drop another carriage bolt through the second hole, and then similarly drill a hole near the center of the third hole. Note: The exact placement of the holes within the circles is not critical, but the position of the holes relative to one another on the two steel plates must be precise; thus, inserting the bolts after each hole is drilled assures exact alignment. See photo below of the third hole being drilled through the two steel plates.

Invert the box and position one of the steel plates with the drilled holes over the traced circles on the bottom of the box. At this point, make sure that the orientation of all holes and plates are correct so that in the final construction, the assembly will sit properly on the platform with one steel plate underneath and the other inside the box on the bottom. Place one hole over the approximate center of a traced hole on the bottom of the box. Drill through the hole in the plate and into the box. Place a bolt through the hole to hold alignment. Repeat with another hole and drop in a bolt. Complete the process with the third hole. As with the above step, placing a bolt through the hole after drilling helps maintain the critical alignment between holes for the final assembly. See photo below showing the drilling of the third hole.

The carriage bolts have a square shoulder just below the head to keep it from twisting when tightening a nut. Unfortunately, the square shoulder will not fit through the round holes drilled for this project, and squaring a round hole in steel is difficult. But in this application, a hammer can be used to sink the shoulder into the steel plate without compromise. Support the bottom steel plate over the jaws of a vice that nearly close on the threads of the bolt, or alternatively, drill a hole in a piece of wood and place the hole in the plate over the hole in the wood. (The idea is to support the steel as much as possible to prevent bending, yet allow the bolt to slide through.) For each hole, drop the bolt through the hole so that the shoulder contacts the steel. Strike the head of the bolt with a hammer until the shoulder deforms the steel and the bolt head contacts the surface of the steel. See photos below. During this process, try to keep the bolt vertical so that it goes directly into the hole rather than an angle, which could affect the alignment described in the previous step. Perform this step for only the bottom steel plate.

Assemble the box on the platform by holding the bottom plate from underneath with the carriage bolts pointing up through the holes in the platform. See photo.

Place the box on the platform and push the bolts through the holes in the bottom of the box. It may be necessary to tap the bolts through the holes. See photo of inside the box.

Place the upper steel plate in the box and over the protruding bolts. Place a lock washer on each bolt and then secure with the nut. Push the box firmly against the platform rail at the back and the propane bin at the side. The circles in the platform should allow ample room for adjustment. Make sure there is enough room for the box lid to be lifted past the propane bin cover. (Optionally, you may choose, as I did, to notch the box lid where it contacts the bin cover, allowing an even tighter fit on the platform.) Once the final position has been established, tighten the nuts firmly to take out all slack between the layers. You may wish to place a piece of sturdy cardboard or plastic in the bottom of the box to prevent the nuts from damaging the contents.

Each box has a bracket on the back near the top that can be used to provide additional strength to the mount. Wrap a zip tie through the bracket and around the cargo platform’s back railing. On the passenger side, the bracket will not properly hold the zip tie in place, and the bracket will have to be removed and reversed. This requires some minor cutting of the bracket, and this modification should be done before the box is mounted to the platform.

The bright yellow DeWalt logo can be peeled away from the front of the box, which may make it less attractive to thieves.

A final note about durability:

I have no other experience with these DeWalt tool boxes regarding long-term resilience. Specifications state the box is made with “durable structural foam walls,” and the manufacture’s literature indicates some suitability for outdoor use. (The walls do not look at all like foam and are very rigid.) However, my main concern is degradation from long-term exposure to ultraviolet light. For this reason, I keep my boxes covered with plastic trash bags when the trailer is in outdoor storage. I cut the bottom from a Kroger 55 gallon trash bag, which fits nicely when inverted over the box. See photo below. Of course, these bags degrade within a few months, but they are easily replaced at very little cost.

Comments

• Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Great idea, thank you @SolarSteve. I have a 400 BD and just started using an Action Packer plastic tote on one side of my platform. What I like much better about yuor choice of toolbox is that they can be pushed right up against the tub and the lid can still open.

How hve these held up since you installed them?
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I installed one of these boxes (bought used online) for storing my travel tool kit. Essentially the same install process, however, rather then the steel plates, I used fender washers to spread the load through the existing holes of the outrigger.  My installation has survived three seasons now, uncovered. The only moisture intrusion I suffer is through condensation.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    MelanieAllredMelanieAllred Member Posts: 7
    Saw this similar solution on YouTube with waterproof steel containers from Amazon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlLpDGMaFW4&list=PL5nON2A4YgRXrOp7oG0NmlZ5xJNbEUbEN&index=8 
    He provides some very helpful hints for the install.
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2020
    cyoung said:
    I just received these boxes from David at bradleysmachineandwelding.com
    I got them a week after I ordered them and they came with 16 oversized washers for installation. These fit perfect on each side and fit within the platform base. Lids have gaskets for a tight fit and stainless steel piano hinges. These are very sturdy and the craftsmanship is superb. These were $400 for the pair and after my research on other options seem reasonable priced. They even sent me a 7" aluminum Tab sign.
    Those are really nice looking boxes and perfect for the T@B. I'll have to start saving up for a pair. Sadly, I have time to do that: Our dealer sent me a message today telling me that the factory has so much work that our build has been pushed back to April . . .
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @cyoung, those are definitely a perfect fit for the Boondock platform and obviously well made.  Did they make them at your specific request, or were they already making them specifically to fit on a T@B Boondock platform?  Also, what are the approximate dimensions (height, width and front-to-back)?  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    David has the exact size on file to fit this platform. Overall dimensions, 16" high, 17" wide & 13" deep. I will probably add some locks to these as it would be easy to do, will add some pictures when I do.
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @cyoung ...if they were made at the same height as your centre factory tub do you think they'd clear the outer handles?... they're exactly what we're looking for..but would love the same height as the centre bin..thinking outdoor rug attached across for travel...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    When the lid is open it rotates back approx. 95º before it hits the handle. It stays upright by itself without falling down. If this box was the same height as the center tub (18.5")
    it would probably need to move forward 1/2" to stay open without falling down. I don't see any reason why this would not work. 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @cyoung thank you for posting! I want the whole set up! Question: how is your spare attached to the tray?
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Spare tire setup is factory installed. It also came with an undermount setup but not planning on using that. 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @cyoung any chance you could take a picture of how the spare is attached to the platform? It does not appear to be using the square raised bracket I've seen on the boondock version. I assume in your picture, it is bolted on some how? I currently have my spare attached to the jack post and wonder if what you have may work for me too. Thank you so much.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Spare tire is attached to the front tub using an angled aluminum bracket through bolted through the wheel. 

• Options
    mbeckerpashambeckerpasha Member Posts: 22
    @cyoung Many thanks for your post! We are going to order a set of storage bins like yours. Very helpful! 
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock "Boony"
    Towed by 2023 Ford F-150 "Frida"
    New River, AZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    By the way, Elton at AllPro Adventures, told me two days ago that AllPro Adventures will have Diamond plate boxes similar to these, the same height as the middle tub and with a lock.  There is a photo of their tubs on AllPro’s website. Shipping will gr included in the price. 

AllPro Adventures was started by the original owner of Pleasant Valley Teardrops, which is the mother company of nüCamp. 

Their phone number is in the Forum contacts category on the left side of this page. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @Verna, I wonder if you can open the lids fully on the 320?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    The middle tub has a gas strut that allows it to open about 95%. Since the new side tubs from AllPro Adventures are made by the same vender who makes the large tub, I would expect the same construction for the front side storage boxes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    It looks like they may hit the front handles on the 320.  IDK
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    We were one of the early customers of bradleysmachineandwelding.com before they standardized the design for T@Bs that @cyoung has. I wanted a locking drop-front box and Bradley’s made these up for me. They did cost more than the $450 they currently charge for the standard box, but there was more fabrication involved with mine and they were still a bit cheaper than a couple other places I checked. Overall very happy with them.
    @ontheroad, I considered making them all the same height but the boss thought this looked better. Bradley’s is very accommodating and I’m sure adding a few inches to the height would not be a problem.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    It looks like they may hit the front handles on the 320.  IDK
    The handles were redesigned for the 2021 models, so I can only give you a photo of that model. The lid may “tap” the AllPro Adventures’ storage boxes lids when open, but with the new rubberized coating on the handle, there should be no denting or scratching. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Verna I knew Elton was getting ready to sell them..before Christmas I had seen a post and had said he needed to carry these..lol..he told me he had 2 and was getting ready...two days ago I asked him in PM how much longer..soon..lol..love that they'll be the same height too!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Thanks, @ontheroad. I kept forgetting to call Elton about them carrying these, as it will definitely be a plus to get them in Sugarcreek. When I briefly talked to him last week, he said he would have the lockable style, which means a lot to me. Those 30 amp electrical cords and the g-flex (or is it g-force) water hoses aren’t cheap!  I’m looking forward to getting them. 

I’ll be using 8 gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers temporarily on a trip soon because he won’t have the boxes in stock before I leave. The Action Packers don’t have quite as much room, but they will work for right now. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    I'm in the process of making up cardboard templates to make them out of 1/2" plywood with locking lid, them spray painting them perhaps with black bed liner paint.

Cost about $30 each I'm estimating.
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    edited December 2021
    The bradleysmachineandwelding boxes are nice, our 2021 new/used 320 came with them however they had no locks.  Added some cheap locks last minute for our first trip.  They are merely a passerby and visual deterrant.  Anyone determined could swiftly force them a screwdriver or wrench.  Our Li-Po batteries are inside the trailer not in the boxes. 

The hardware screw holes were tiny #4's, drilled out and substituted #6 stainless machine screws and nylock hex nuts.  
    The machine screw and bolt holding the hasp may interfere with the lid overhang and prevent closure.  I ground them down with a grinder.  I seem to recall putting a sheetmetal backing plate behind the four lower bolts as well for a little more heft.

The lid overhang makes the hasps stand away from the locks, requiring making a pair of offset bends in the hasps so they are co-planar with the face of the box. Put the hasps in the vice and made two bends with a sheetmetalworking vice grip.  (photo: front- modified; rear- unmodified.)

*Amazon- twist-knob keyed locking hasps, four pack keyed alike)

T&B 320S 2021 | Tacoma 4 cylinder tow.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck