Options

Alde glycol?

NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
 After a ton of looking I finally found propylene glycol (within a mile too) but I got to thinking. Who put the glycol in the Alde to begin with? Factory? Dealer? How do I know they used the right stuff? Sometimes I hate it when I think ;)
Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Normfun, I was having a hard time finding it too.

I spoke with LG (they do initially fill it) and they said they used "Sierra" brand.

What did you find, and where?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My guess is the factory - Many of the dealers don't even know how to turn on the Alde so doubt the factory would trust them to fill with fluid and test the system.
  • Options
    By the way - Where'd you find it? What type of place had it?
  • Options
    Oreilys Auto Parts had it in stock.  Preston LowTox and priced much better than amazon.  I had suspected the factory filled but thanks so much for the confirmation. Mine is a hair below the min line so I thought I would bring it up a little.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Are you just keeping one gallon on hand, Norm?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    So Preston "LowTox" is what we need to find? Same stuff as the Sierra brand the factory uses?
  • Options
    Looks to be the same stuff. But as always, YMMV. 

Verna, I need to add a little as I am below the min line. 

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    FWIW, the Alde europe sites speak of using G12+ (Volkswagen branded antifreeze).  It sure looks like what's in there now (pink in color).  It's supposed to last at least 5 years.

But who knows what we got in the states.

T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Mine is not pink. 

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Interesting.  It's possible they switched brands or types recently.  It was almost 2 years ago when I first read about the G12+ stuff.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    normfun - How long have you had the T@B?  I just wonder how quickly I need to monitor the glycol level and worry about adding it.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    We have had the Tab since November. It was on the lot since August.  We have spent 35 nights in it so far have dragged it through 6 states so far.  The Alde is still working perfect I just figured I would check the level and found I was at the min line or a hair below.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2015
    I spoke with Little Guy. They used Sierra non-toxic fluid.

The manufacturer says it's ok to top it off with distilled water if it gets down a little. It must be distilled however, not plain old tap water.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Interesting turn of events today. I went to Oreilly auto parts to get the Low Tox. They couldn't find it so brought out Sierra instead!. I'm happy!. $21/ gal. So much for their website being accurate. 

• Options
    TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    It's purely a safety issue folks. The active heat exchange media in the Alde is Anti Freeze contained in copper tubing which could develop a pinhole over time and contaminate the heated water. Most of us are familiar with Ethylene Glycol and it's toxicity, but the Alde uses a more human friendly Propylene Glycol which is used in some foods. If you "WIKI" Propylene Glycol you can find out more than you ever wanted to know about it. Even so, the company does not want to take a chance, hence the disclamer.  
    Posted this earlier this year, but it bears repeating.
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
  • Options
    PSBreenPSBreen Member Posts: 13
    This is getting confusing. We came back from a week long camping trip and while stowing gear, I decided to check the Adle fluid level. It's just above the MIN mark so I need to find some glycol soon. Here's where it gets interesting....I've heard and seen green and pink antifreeze. The tank on ours is stained pink but the fluid in the tank is CLEAR. Anyone have a clue if it's really glycol and maybe what brand/type it might be? Thanks.
    Patrick
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    According to the manual the level in the reservoir should be just a bit above the Min mark.

I needed to top mine up just a bit and ordered a half gallon (they also sell gallons) from Elsie. She shipped it right out and I had it in 2-3 business days.

I recall reading somewhere that propylene glycol is supposed to be fluorescent yellow/green. This is what Elsie sent me:

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I watched a live webinar interview last night with the Alde Sales Representative and Paul Chamberlain (the Airforce Guy from Beckleys RV) and he said there is a new Alde recommended glycol they are recommending. He said it lasts longer than two years. He didnt give any other details so I'm trying to find out more info about it because I'm due to change mine in March 2021.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, it is a pink color, but not available in North America, Burris being used in Europe, yiu can order some from UK.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    A US company, Truma Corp, bought Alde so they are here in US now.  The Alde rep said last night that NuCamp is or will be soon using the new green glycol that lasts longer than 2 years....I think 5 years. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Just what we need.  Less clarity on the Alde glycol! 2 years? 5 years?  Pink? Green? Purple? I want clear glycol, ingredients clearly labeled, with the life expectancy clearly stated.
    Actually, I don't care what color. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    And just to make things a little more complicated, note that the currently recommended Century Transfer Fluid also comes in a red version. As best I can tell, the red version is chemically the same as the green.

@pthomas745, I don't think you are ever going to get a true life expectancy statement, as it appears degradation is related to numerous factors, not least of which is use. The current recommendation to change the glycol every two years seems to be pretty conservative based on tests (visual, pH, and freeze protection) conducted by various owners.  
    2015 T@B S