Options

Towing with roof vents open?!

85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
Apparently I'm late to the party...I saw a Dometic roof vent manufacturer video that said if the vent would be open while driving to ensure that it was fully opened.  I checked my manual and it says If driving while the vent is open, keep it fully open to avoid fluttering or closing unexpectedly.

I've been looking into getting a vent cover both for rain and to allow ventilation when traveling.  I didn't know roof vents could be open when traveling.  I guess I'll give this a try...it'd be nice to arrive at a campsite with a cooler interior to start with.  On our last trip we boondocked overnight at a Cracker Barrel and it took a few hours before the interior was nicely cooled down.

Does anyone out there in T@B land travel with their roof vent(s) open?  If yes, had any problems?
2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    85Redwood said:
    Apparently I'm late to the party...I saw a Dometic roof vent manufacturer video that said if the vent would be open while driving to ensure that it was fully opened.  I checked my manual and it says If driving while the vent is open, keep it fully open to avoid fluttering or closing unexpectedly.

I've been looking into getting a vent cover both for rain and to allow ventilation when traveling.  I didn't know roof vents could be open when traveling.  I guess I'll give this a try...it'd be nice to arrive at a campsite with a cooler interior to start with.  On our last trip we boondocked overnight at a Cracker Barrel and it took a few hours before the interior was nicely cooled down.

Does anyone out there in T@B land travel with their roof vent(s) open?  If yes, had any problems?
    I had the Fantastic Fan vent cover and you could tow with the vent open. I installed a Maxxair Fan with the rain cover on my new rig and I think I can also tow woth it open but I haven't read the manual, yet. 

If you have the stock fan, without a cover that states you can do so, don't do it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    We had a vent cover over our fantastic fan...it can let dust in while driving...especially on dusty, gravel roads..thankfully had our hand held vacuum onboard. :)
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, going down gravel and dusty dirt roads, I would close up the trailer and all vents.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.