Options

Looking for some Solar Panel Advice

MarkitectMarkitect Member Posts: 16
I am planning on mounting 2-100w flexible panel to the roof of my 400 and am looking for some advice:

1. Which Tape to use? I was thinking of using the 3M VHB tape to mount them, which type specifically? it would seem i would want some thickness to guarantee a good bond, but how thick is too thick, and what is not thick enough? 

2. Tape Pattern? I had read (somewhere, so much info available!), that using tape allows for a gap under the panel which should help with heat dissipation. With that in mind, what sort of pattern would you suggest? I was thinking that just strips across the short side with the sides open would allow the air flow and provide the adhesion needed. (What am I missing?)

3. Leading Edge: I noted in a lot of what I saw, tape of some type was placed at the leading edge of the panel. This makes sense to me, but is it really needed?

4. Panel Location: I was thinking of 2 scenarios: one with both panels aft of the fan housing and the other with one in front, the other behind the fan housing. By separating them, it seemed at least one of the panels would be facing the sun, (however it may mean only one would be facing the sun). so some input there would be helpful. I wonder if both in partial sun would be the same as separating them?

5. Wiring? With the above noted, should I wire the separated ones in parallel or in series? 

6. Wire Management: Best way to secure the wires? I would like to not screw anything, is there a clamp with VHB tape available and does it work?

Thank you all for you help with this, I look forward to hearing your experiences and suggestions.

M

Comments