Options

2021 Tab 320 S Thoughts after Rental

zanthzanth Member Posts: 8
After renting a 2021 Tab 320 S, I thought I'd post our observations after our 10 day camping trip.  First time in a 320, but we've tent camped a lot, and rented a Sprinter and Pop Up.

WHAT NEEDS FIXING:
- Bed length was bad for a 6'2" guy.  I tried laying both directions on the passenger side, and putting my head at the back with feet dangling in front of fridge was the best.
- However, I would remove the rear cabinet, at least on the passenger side, it is ridiculously low when you have to shove your head back there to sleep.  I actually hit my eyeball once just rolling over.  Nucamp should have made this gap taller by shrinking or eliminating that almost useless rear cabinet.
- I understand the A/C vents out and draws in under the passenger side middle cushion, below the A/C unit.  We never used A/C, but the amount of dust in that particular compartment from all the dirt roads we traveled was ridiculous, obviously wafting in through the vents.  I'd create a cover for the undercarriage vents somehow.
- Hinges on front two side seats are useless, screws are about 1/8 into the wood at most, and were already separated on a new unit.  Needs beefier screws since you'll be accessing this storage a lot on the passenger side, and only from the top.  
- Unclear why Nucamp got rid of the access to the passenger under seat compartment from the front, and now you have to always move a cushion and lift the seat and legs to get into this useful storage space.  
- Better use of all the under-cushion storage would be an improvement, lots of duct lines that could easily crush.
- Microwave was useless, we were on shore power 1 night of 10.
- Nucamp should make all the upper shelves the same depth as the microwave cabinet, making them deeper would make them much more useful.
- No more gravity water fill, you've got to have a short piece of hose to use your water pump to draw into your fresh tank.
- I wish they'd make it a four season camper, something called a "Boondock" seems like it should be more capable.
- All the LEDs, radio, control panel, TV, too bright.  At night we'd have to slap duct tape over them.

WHAT WE REALLY LIKED
- Headroom for a 6'2" guy is not bad (but not great), I can stand up with my head bent, get dressed, and sort of use the galley.  The main thing is you're sitting or laying down 95% of the time.
- We boondocked for 3 nights and had no issues with water or power, unit did have the solar.  I like that boondock capability.
- We love a cassette toilet, I wouldn't buy an RV with a black tank.  We dumped it in state forest outhouses where you couldn't do that with a black tank.
- That shower is H-O-T, and as a big guy, I fit fine in there.
- The jacks on the four corners are a nice step up from flimsy leveling pads, it let us get perfectly level every time.

BOTTOM LINE
- If Nucamp made a Tab 360 that was just a foot longer, and put 6 inches in the bed, 6 inches in the standing area, and raised the ceiling 6 inches, one would be sitting in my driveway.
- Instead, it is the leading contender for the RV we want to buy, but maybe we'll wait and see what happens in the next 12 months.

Comments

• Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Did you look at a 400?
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    @trimtab Yes, we've been in them multiple times, I'm a big fan of the narrower width and generally easier towability of the 320.
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    Just an FYI if you purchase a Tab-- those leveling Jack's as you referred to them are not for leveling-- they are only STABILIZER jacks & not intended for use as jacking up one side or one corner to get level-- that's what leveling blocks or Anderson levelers are for

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @lkc001 I believe one of the many 2021 updates was to improve the jacks to a scissors style jack that can be used to support weight when leveling.  Described as "more robust, functional jacks".

• Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
     55"x79"....sleeping area in TAB 400
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @ zanth... don't be looking for that extra foot..I was ..when I talked to nuCamp about the CS-S being 1 foot longer..was told that was almost a 400 length...oh if only...we love the outdoor kitchen having come from a T@g ...but overall love the improvements we'll be getting in the upgrade...and it'll still be cute!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @zanth - page 27 in the 2021 User Manual does say to use the stabilizer jacks to level the TaB.  Something new for TaBs!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    From page 27 of the 2021 TAB and TAB400 manual:
             Extend the stabilizer jacks at the tongue jack controls.
    This seems to imply an electric tongue jack.  Do the new TABs have electric tongue jacks or was this a cut and paste from some other manual such as the Avia?
    It looks to me as if the "new, more comprehensive" TAB and TAB400 manuals are the essentially same as the Avia manual.  
    NuCamp tried to take a short cut in documentation and, again, missed the mark!
    That said, there is a lot of good general information in the new manuals that would apply to ANY trailer.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @zanth - page 27 in the 2021 User Manual does say to use the stabilizer jacks to level the TaB.  Something new for TaBs!
    I could have sworn I read somewhere in my 2021 literature not to use them for leveling.

I think I will reach out to customer service and ask. That wod be way too awesome. I love the new jacks and they are much easier to access.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @jkjenn, @Sharon_is_SAM...it also says on page 27 that "a flyer with all needed information on how to operate the stabilizing system is included in your owner's packet"... maybe that's where you read it Jenn.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ontheroad said:
    @jkjenn, @Sharon_is_SAM...it also says on page 27 that "a flyer with all needed information on how to operate the stabilizing system is included in your owner's packet"... maybe that's where you read it Jenn.
    I can check the satchel, too. If the information is in it, maybe we can also find the digital version.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014