Options

TAB 320 S - what type of drive attachment is used for the 2021 stabilizer jacks

Hi,

I am a new owner to be, it is on order, pick it up in Sept.

Is it  a (1) socket (2) slotted or (3) j-hook drill attachment that will fit the stabilizer jacks on the 2021 Tab 320 S ?

I will be picking it up after a 1000 mile drive, the plan is to continue on for a trip up into new england.

I have acquired a lifetime of camping stuff, but having just sold a long time companion, a Pleasure-way class B

I need to buy some items that the class b didn't need.

Can someone tell me what type attachment is needed for the stabilizer jacks? My back says an electric screwdriver or drill will be welcome, lol. 

Also, what is the dimension of the stabilizer pads?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2020
    It is a 3/4-inch socket on 2017-2020.  That said, using a power driver like a drill motor is not recommended by nuCamp ?, as you can over torque the stabilizer jacks.  

The TaB comes with a nice long handled jack crank that is actually easier to use than reaching under the trailer with a drill driver to lower the jacks, which are on quick acting Acme screws.  No power drill driver is required.  Give it a try first.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    If you are concerned about over torquing. Just dial back the setting on your drill.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    NüCamp doesn’t recommend using a drill on the spare tire mechanism. @Denny16, where did you find the information about using a drill on the stabilizers. I’ve been using my DeWalt with the appropriate bit for 5 years. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited July 2020
    The OP has ordered a 2021 TaB.  There are beefier stabilizers on the 2021 320 models in the form of scissor jacks.  Does anyone know if you can use the same drill bit as used in former models?  @jkjenn?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The OP has ordered a 2021 TaB.  There are beefier stabilizers on the 2021 320 models in the form of scissor jacks.  Does anyone know if you can use the same drill bit as used in former models?  @jkjenn?
    It is a different bit. Someone gave me mine, so I don't know what size it is, unfortunately. I will see if I can figure it out with my socket set, tomorrow.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I think it was in the 2018 TaB manual, or I am mixing thus with the spare trye restriction, the 3/4 inch socket is good on 2018-2020, not positive on the new 2021’s new sis or jack, good point.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    The 2021 320 S stabilizer jacks do use a 3/4 socket.  Mine came with a long handled crank with the socket permanently attached as part of the tool.  It was stored under the passengers side seat.  This is also used with a 3/4 to 13/16" socket converter (also supplied in the documentation bag) to lower the spare tire if yours is stored under the front tongue.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Thanks @mntrails!  So, a 3/4 inch socket drill bit for the new scissor jack stabilizers.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jonnjonn Member Posts: 31
    mntrails said:
    The 2021 320 S stabilizer jacks do use a 3/4 socket.  Mine came with a long handled crank with the socket permanently attached as part of the tool.  It was stored under the passengers side seat.  This is also used with a 3/4 to 13/16" socket converter (also supplied in the documentation bag) to lower the spare tire if yours is stored under the front tongue.

• Options
    excellent comeback with photos, i am impressed with this forum and your reply, i appreciate it. thanks 

• Options
    edited July 2020

Denny16 said:
    It is a 3/4-inch socket on 2017-2020.  That said, using a power driver like a drill motor is not recommended by nuCamp ?, as you can over torque the stabilizer jacks.  

The TaB comes with a nice long handled jack crank that is actually easier to use than reaching under the trailer with a drill driver to lower the jacks, which are on quick acting Acme screws.  No power drill driver is required.  Give it a try first.
    cheers
    Yeah, I'll use it before I "energize" it, lol. Thanks for your info.
  • Options
    it is good to know that there will be scissor jacks under the platform, any  idea what the jack foot pads measure? and thanks for your watchful eye about the reason of my post.

• Options
    They are the BAL Type "C" Stabilizer jacks with model 23200 footpad, which appear to be about 6" x 6".

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    6" x 6" is enough surface area i would say, no reason to go out and buy separate jack pads (typical 6.5"x 9") for my shake down trip after picking it up, do you agree? I am so used to having a separate plastic pad for my bike's kickstand on hand, they came to mind. I don't plan on camping in the boonies on that first trip. Thanks for the info

• Options
    ok, i understand now, thanks again

• Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    The stabilzer foot pads are 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" so yes, approximately 6 x 6.  I've had no need for anything under them so far.  The speeder wrench (what I referred to as the long handled crank) that comes with the trailer is good and sturdy plus is quick and easy to use.  I doubt you'll need the electric assist.  Good luck!
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    edited July 2020
  • Options
    schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    I prefer the long handled crank to the drill attachment.  I think it's easier to use.  
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2021 320 BD , i love the electric drill 🤗
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I use an electric drill with an extender and a socket.  Have not had any problems and don't have to crank that manual rod for ages to lower the stabilizers.  I will mention that you should not run the drill at high speed! Use a variable speed drill and run it a low speed--especially with the spare tire system.
  • Options
    Yes, I retracted all 4 stabilizers in less than 60 seconds tonight, without rushing or sweating. :)

• Options
    I use an electric drill with an extender and a socket.  Have not had any problems and don't have to crank that manual rod for ages to lower the stabilizers.  I will mention that you should not run the drill at high speed! Use a variable speed drill and run it a low speed--especially with the spare tire system.
    how long is your extension? I have not taken delivery yet and when I do it will be a 1000 mile trip north from fl to pick it up. I intend to keep on heading north while up there and so i am prepping for a trip now, thanks
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @jonn
    My extension is about 14".  I bought a 3-piece set from harbor Freight.  With the socket on the end, it gives me an overall reach of around 17".  That is enough to reach the rear stabilizers on my 400 without much stooping or squatting.
  • Options
    renokidrenokid Member Posts: 1
    My crank had gone missing. Where can I find another one?
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Renokid, welcome to the Forums....
    What year and model trailer do  you have?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi