Options

Ford Ranger 2019 + Tab 400

All,

Before I can get a Tab 400 I need a new tow vehicle as my Ford Escape won't cut it.  I'm looking at the Ford Ranger as I'm not a big truck guy and the F150 may be too big for me.   The Ranger with towing package has a towing capacity of 7500lb with a tongue weight of 750lb.  So I think I am good with capacity.

Question I have though is there any advantages with 4x4 with regards to towing?   This will be my first trailer so I am new at this.

Thanks, Scott.

Comments

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    There is no specific need for 4x4 for towing but it can be extremely helpful in poor conditions or if you decide to do a bit of backroads driving. Once in a while the 4 wheel drive will be useful in a rough, hilly or muddy site. When others get stuck, you can engage all 4 wheels and go. The nice thing about a truck is that the wheels drive from the rear. That is what you want/need for towing. You are speed limited in 4 wheel mode so except in very rare conditions (a snow storm) you would never be towing long distances with it engaged. 
    Keep in mind that 2 wheel drive trucks do not hold their value as well as 4 wheel drive trucks do. There is a much smaller market for them.
  • Options
    scottfwalterscottfwalter Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @scottfwalter, I agree with @tabiphile with most of his assessment on whether 4X4 on a truck is necessary/mandatory for towing. One negative regarding 4X4 is the loss of horsepower being routed to the front axle transfer casing, which stands ready at the push of a button to provide that 4X4 gearing. The transfer case and gearing add hundreds of lbs of weight to any truck, reducing fuel mileage. Although some would argue that the power loss, heavier weight and lower fuel economy is negligible, if your budget is tight, these are items to consider. My DH and me have a heavy (10,000 lbs GVWR) travel trailer. To put all the horsepower to work towing, we deliberately purchased a 2 wheel drive truck. They are indeed rare. There were 3 we considered, 1 in California, 1 in Texas and 1 in Georgia. Living in Michigan, we had an overnight 900 mile drive to get it, located in Vidalia, Georgia. Of course, for a t@b 400, those extreme measures aren't necessary, and most here who utilize that TV and trailer combo are very satisfied. Just my point of view. YMMV!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    4x4 actually lowers max tow weight because of the extra weight of the 4x4 gear. However, having said that, it is hard to find a truck without 4x4. Most dealers order them that way.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I had a friend who bought a 22 foot trailer (Nash) and custom ordered an F150.   She configured it exactly the way she wanted it without the "bloatware" most trucks on dealer's lots seem to be infected with.  It is a simple, effective tow vehicle, without being too "big".
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    edited July 2020
    We had a 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 (pictured) and towed our 19 Tab 400.  This truck was totaled back in March and we have since replaced it with another Ranger, but a 2 wheel drive with an electronic locking differential. The truck look identical, just different drive configurations.  If I were to buy another 4x4 to tow with it would not be the FX4 because the shocks are really soft and the truck is very bouncy when towing.  Our new 2 wheel drive is much better at towing the Tab than the FX4, primarily because of the soft suspension on the FX4.  I feel like the locking differential will give us some extra traction when needed without carrying around that 300 pound fat guy on the hood.

The truck handles to load really well and I especially like the 10 speed transmission with the tow control.
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    Before deciding against the F-150, I would go test drive one.  It may seem big, but there are some advantages to that big.   I would be a little concerned about a four cylinder pulling that kind of weight because in reality, you will be pulling the trailer plus the stuff you put inside it plus the stuff you put in the bed of the pickup and cab.  I know it is rated to do it.  It is turbo-charged but that small four cyl. is the  only engine they offer in that vehicle.  To me you would be pushing that engine to its max all the time especially in hill climbs. 
    The good thing about the Ranger is that it too can handle the tongue weight which is more than the Edge, Flex or even the new Explorer can do.
    The F-150 comes with multiple engine possibilities.  It comes with the very same 10-speed transmission as the Ranger.   If I owned an F-150 it would be the 3.5 v6 which has better foot pound torque than their 5.0 V8.
    The last thing to really investigate is the gear ratio of the differential.  It can make a huge difference in towing. I looked and looked and looked for a used F-150 but all of them that I could find in my area also came with "high rear ends" - that is with something like a 2.??.   Try to find 3.55 or 3.73 keeping in mind that the larger that number gets your gas mileage goes down. 

With regard to the 2wd vs 4 wd - that depends on what kind of camping your planning on doing.  That T@B 400, unless it is a boondock, won't go very far off of any improved road.  Therefore 2wd would be perfectly fine and as has been noted above, you gain in towing capacity, less moving parts, better handling.

To finish this little story, we have had a 2018 T@B 400 and I have been pulling with a 2015 Tundra but it has the 4.6 v8- not the 5.7.  All of my friends that have the Tundra 5.7 pulling a trailer get 10 mpg.  That was not acceptable to me.  I get 16.2 with the trailer and sometimes 20 without it.   It is 2wd with a 3.9 differential.  However, I am the last one up the hill (we do live in Oregon - it is a mountainous area).  The Ford Ecoboost 3.5 would pull this T@B 400 better than the 4.6 Toyota V8.  Therefore, because the trailer market is real good right now, we are in the process of trading down to a T@B 320 CS-S.  I believe we have come to terms that makes everyone happy and I won't feel this trailer quite so much behind me. 
    nbrandt
    2018 T@B 400 - soon 2021 TAB 320 CS-S
    2015 Tundra 2wd 4.6

• Options
    AustinRoamersAustinRoamers Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2020
    We spent 6 weeks driving our 2019 Ford Ranger 2 wheel drive all over Colorado while towing a 400. It handled beautifully including over Independence Pass (12,000 ft) and gnarly gravel National Forest roads. There was never a time that the truck wasn't firmly in control. We also had debated over which model and this ended up being the right choice for us. 
    Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"
  • Options
    scottfwalterscottfwalter Member Posts: 4
    I've decided to go with the 4x2.  Thanks for everyone's input.   Now I just need to wait for my nuCamp dealer to get some TAB 400s in stock.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The Ford Ranger should do just fine.  I used to drive a company Ford Ranger, liked it very much, almost considered buying one, but went with the Dakota instead, which has a better towing package back in 2002.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Lots of good advice here, and I would add one more consideration.  If an extended range fuel tank is an option, get it.  I have an F-150 FX4 with the 36 gallon tank. Towing our 400, I can go 450+ miles on a single tank of fuel.  Previously, I had a much larger camper and a 3/4 ton diesel, which was great for towing, except that it had a standard fuel tank and I was stopping every 250 miles (or less) for fuel.  We really like our F-150, but I would agree the FX4 is soft for towing, and I was a bit surprised how much the rear end squatted when loaded up for towing, and it is a bit bouncy.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    +1 on the 36 gallon tank on the F-150. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @TNOutback
    Good point re: range.

Though I gotta say, after 250 miles (my range) I'm ready for a stretch of the legs. The old knees don't wanna do what they're supposed to do after that many hours!  ;)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @TNOutback
    Amen to that!  ;)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Yes, I need frequent breaks too...  B)
    cheers
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Read up online on the Ranger overheating problems.  A few miles into a life of towing many Rangers are overheating.  It’s due to the small cooling passages in the Ecoboost.  My buddy which owns a auto repair facility brought this up to me before I asked.  He knows me as a “way back” Ford guy who tows a lot.  Even search this forum.  I recall multiple posts about this.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    edited September 2020
    What you are saying about the Ranger is false.  We have a Ranger and have never had any kind of overheating issues towing our 400 or while just setting in a parking lot with ambient temp at 109.  Your buddy is just fooling with you.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Whilst there have been some overheating issues with the engine, most were due hoses and some had head gasket issues (mostly Ford Focus).  I could not find any specific Ranger issues with overheating whist towing normal loads, like a TaB trailer.  There are several here who tow with a Ford Ranger, do a search for their experiences.  

That said, from what I did find, is that any high performance turbo charged small engine is going to have issues down the road, some with heat issues from the exhaust driven turbo charger to intake and exhaust ports being effected by excessive carbon build up.  

But if a Ford Ranger meets your towing and general driving needs, than go for it.
    No TV is perfect, they all have issues.
    cheers
  • Options
    crohrbachercrohrbacher Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2019 Ranger XLT with the tow package, and absolutely love the performance when towing my T@B 400 BDL. We have towed about 4k miles now with no issues whatsoever. The 2019 Ranger has the same 2.3L engine Ford put in the 2015+ Mustang.
    Charles / 2020 T@B 400BDL / 2019 Ford Ranger / Cibolo, TX
  • Options
    JamesJames Member Posts: 32
    Trying to make sense of the Ranger discussion.  Here are my general thoughts.

1.  I like the Ranger because it seems smallish compared to other options.  I currently drive a Chevy S10 (98) and stepping up to a large vehicle is daunting.

2.  At least 85% (or more) of my driving will be local, not towing anything.  In the era of covid, my new truck will mostly be sitting at home.  Eventual resale value is a factor, seven or eight years from now when we move into a retirement home.

3.  Most of our camping will be eastern US.  New England, Ohio Valley, West Virginia.  I do expect we'll make at least one western trip, probably the northern routes into Montana then south.  Our longest trip in the past was two and a half weeks.  With a more reliable TV, I'm hoping to extend that.

4.  It seems most folks think a Ranger with the towing package is suitable for a TAB 400 BDL.  Overall weight is acceptable, as is tongue weight.  

5.  That said, some think the Ranger is underpowered for (1) mountain travel and (2) rapid acceleration. There is some sentiment that the four cylinder engine might have to work too hard and that will take a toll.  

From a personal use perspective, I haven't found a vehicle that I like as much as the Ranger, with the possible exception of the Honda Ridgeline, which is a cross between a truck and a car.  My reading on the Ridgeline, however, suggests it may be even more underpowered for a TAB 400 BDL.  

I'm not trying to make the case for a Ranger or Ridgeline as much as I'm trying to understand the variables involved.  

It seems to me that something like an F150 six-cylinder with towing package would be safest bet if I were going to spend half my time on the road camping. It's a harder choice when that number drops to spending 10% of my time camping.  And, of course, I know that it takes only one accident to blow all this logic to hell in a heartbeat.  

I'd welcome any opinions on any of these points.  I'm so grateful for this community.

2021 TAB 400 BDL 
    No towing vehicle currently owned, looking at F150
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina

• Options
    @James, I have amazed two people lately when they looked at my display on my F-150. Almost 22 mpg with a mixture of country, small town and state road driving. I’m not driving any different than normal, just a sensible drive. And a comfortable ride. It is my everyday driver, my only vehicle other than my grossly underused bike!  

I do not know what to expect towing the upcoming new 320, but hopes are for 15+ mpg and a comfortable ride. 

I’m not trying to sway you (no affiliation with Ford, just a very happy customer), just to give more info about the larger Ford. I have had an ‘83 and a ‘91 Ranger. Happy with both except the heavy clutch in the ‘83 caused me to trade it in an automatic mini-van when I was in New Jersey (holding that clutch in during stop and go traffic was murder on my knee!).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    JamesJames Member Posts: 32
    Verna said:
    @James, I have amazed two people lately when they looked at my display on my F-150. Almost 22 mpg with a mixture of country, small town and state road driving. I’m not driving any different than normal, just a sensible drive. And a comfortable ride. It is my everyday driver, my only vehicle other than my grossly underused bike!  

I do not know what to expect towing the upcoming new 320, but hopes are for 15+ mpg and a comfortable ride. 

I’m not trying to sway you (no affiliation with Ford, just a very happy customer), just to give more info about the larger Ford. I have had an ‘83 and a ‘91 Ranger. Happy with both except the heavy clutch in the ‘83 caused me to trade it in an automatic mini-van when I was in New Jersey (holding that clutch in during stop and go traffic was murder on my knee!).

Thanks.  I've been finding myself looking at F150's quite a lot lately. They're not as big as they could be!   

I accidentally walked up to a F150 Raptor which was gigantic in every way ... felt like a tank!  My wife saw that and ruled out F150s without blinking.  I might need to ease her back into the discussion.
    2021 TAB 400 BDL 
    No towing vehicle currently owned, looking at F150
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina

• Options
    @James , my 2015 Tacoma only got 18 mpg in town. Give her that comparison. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    My 2 cents, go with a full sized truck (I'm partial to RAMS).

Most full sized trucks are not too big, and the newer ones are as comfortable as luxury cars and with prices to match. 

My 2006 is my everyday driver.  It has just enough options to make it comfortable, power windows, power and heated mirrors and of course the usual basics.

I went from a 2 door 6 cylinder RAM towing a small PUP.  It handled it with no issues, but when I upgraded to a 4 door 8 cylinder I got better mileage and didn't even notice the PUP was there.

The RAM takes my 320 in stride, of course the mileage dropped compared to towing the PUP, but that's the price you pay to have your home away from home following you around.  Imagine the gallons per mile the giant RVs are sucking up.

I would not get a vehicle solely based on it can just handle your present situation.  You should plan for something unexpected coming down the road.  Remember, you have to figure in your cargo weight/load in the bed and back seat of the truck.  Even with newer shocks, I have to take some items out of the truck bed so the hitch will rise enough to get my jack wheel on.

And if you find a vehicle that is a great match for your driving style, you won't have to worry about resale, because you will drive it until it falls apart.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    James, the Ford Rapator is a much different beast from a stock F-150.  Also for occasional towing the Ranger with the V6 would be fine, as long as it has the factory tow package.  You still get good fuel economy and enough power for most TaB towing Adventures.  The bottom line, is you are going to be driving it, get what is comfortable for you to drive and meets your requirements.
    cheers
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    There are valid reasons for a smaller vehicle, mostly related to parking. For MPG these days minimally different. My brother just bought a Chevy 1500 with the 6.2l v8 and gets 22 mpg (non towing) on a road trip, guessing there are quite a few smaller vehicles that don't beat that or not by much and tons of power and comfort. Don't let the full size truck catagory in and if itself scare you away.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Hey James - as many others have said here the full size trucks are pretty nice, ride great, tow great, and gas mileage difference is minimal.

That said, they are bigger.  I can understand why your wife was not interested in a full size truck but I can tell you my wife is now very happy we bought the full size F150 instead of the Ranger.  

If you have a way to rent one for a bit and try it out it would be worth it.  

Good luck on your decision.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    I am a Ranger owner with a 2019 Tab400.  Let me give you some helpful information about the vehicle that might aid in your decision.  On a recent road trip from Dallas/Ft Worth to Galveston and back (650 miles) we averaged 27.5 mpg wile driving between 75 and 80 to keep up with traffic.  On a towing trip with the Tab400 this last week from Dallas Ft/Worth to Maurice Louisiana and back we averaged 14.7 mpg (958 miles) while driving 66 mph.  The Ranger has plenty of HP and especially torque to handle the towing.  It also fits in my garage while allowing me to get to the other side without opening the garage door.  The Ranger has a 10 speed transmission that is fantastic and really helps handle the tow load.
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    We are towing a 320 with a 2019 Ranger--extended (super) cab, rear-wheel drive and tow-package.  Our configuration has slightly better towing capacity than the others.  It has no issues with the smaller 320.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH