Options

Ford Ranger 2019 + Tab 400

2»

Comments

• Options
    JamesJames Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for everyone for sharing your ideas and thoughts.  I've decided to put a decision on hold for a month or so while waiting for our TAB 400 to be delivered.  I don't guess anything will be different 60 days from now in terms of truck performance, but maybe my brain will be sharper by then!

JCALD:  Any thoughts about towing in the mountains with your Ranger?
    2021 TAB 400 BDL 
    No towing vehicle currently owned, looking at F150
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina

• Options
    edited September 2020
    JCALD said:
    I am a Ranger owner with a 2019 Tab400.  Let me give you some helpful information about the vehicle that might aid in your decision.  On a recent road trip from Dallas/Ft Worth to Galveston and back (650 miles) we averaged 27.5 mpg wile driving between 75 and 80 to keep up with traffic.  On a towing trip with the Tab400 this last week from Dallas Ft/Worth to Maurice Louisiana and back we averaged 14.7 mpg (958 miles) while driving 66 mph.  The Ranger has plenty of HP and especially torque to handle the towing.  It also fits in my garage while allowing me to get to the other side without opening the garage door.  The Ranger has a 10 speed transmission that is fantastic and really helps handle the tow load.
    @JCALD   Any experience or thoughts about towing in the mountains with your Ranger?  

2021 TAB 400 BDL 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2020
    James, whilst you are waiting, try renting a Ford Ranger, and other TVs you are considering, rent a UHaul trailer and try them out towing something, you can rent a box trailer and put some thing in them to add weight, to approximate a TaB being towed.  The UHaul trailers have surge brakes, so a brake controller is not needed.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    James, whilst you are waiting p, try renting a Ford Ranger, and other TVs you are considering, rent a UHaul trailer and try them out towing something, you can rent a box trailer and put some thing in them to add weight, to approximate a TaB being towed.  The UHaul trailers have surge brakes, so a brake controller is not needed.
    cheers
    Thanks.  I'll look into that.  Some logistical challenges around here, but I might be able to pull it off.

2021 TAB 400 BDL 

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    JCALD said:
    What you are saying about the Ranger is false.  We have a Ranger and have never had any kind of overheating issues towing our 400 or while just setting in a parking lot with ambient temp at 109.  Your buddy is just fooling with you.
    False?  Naw.  But this is the internet.  People will take or not take advice from a bunch of yahoos hiding behind a computer screen.  I prefer to take advice from a trained, experienced friend where his shop has maintained my vehicle and many commercial accounts for decades.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    Unless things have changed, there is no new style Ford Ranger with a V6 and towing package.  It only comes with one engine and it is the inline turbocharged four cylinder.  It has the same transmission as the F-150 (a 10 speed - which I believe is a joint effort with GM - and a good transmission - however, I believe I heard the Truck Guys on YouTube say that in tow mode, you are only using six of those gears).  Historically, Ford has had issues (carbon build up) even with their 3.5 V6 turbocharged engine that comes in the F-150.  At one point there were at least five different motor options for the F-150.
    I would think the Ranger can easily handle the T@B 320, but the 400 is 1000 lbs heavier and a good 8 inches taller (the enemies here are weight and wind resistance).

• Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    The Ranger has no problem handling the Tab 400.  And no, you are not limited to 6 gears when towing.  I do lock out 9 and 10 while 8th handles the load really well.
  • Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    James said:
    JCALD said:
    I am a Ranger owner with a 2019 Tab400.  Let me give you some helpful information about the vehicle that might aid in your decision.  On a recent road trip from Dallas/Ft Worth to Galveston and back (650 miles) we averaged 27.5 mpg wile driving between 75 and 80 to keep up with traffic.  On a towing trip with the Tab400 this last week from Dallas Ft/Worth to Maurice Louisiana and back we averaged 14.7 mpg (958 miles) while driving 66 mph.  The Ranger has plenty of HP and especially torque to handle the towing.  It also fits in my garage while allowing me to get to the other side without opening the garage door.  The Ranger has a 10 speed transmission that is fantastic and really helps handle the tow load.
    @JCALD   Any experience or thoughts about towing in the mountains with your Ranger?  

I haven’t hit the mountains yet, (maybe in a week or two) but have read many reviews from Ranger owners that say it handles steep grades without a problem while towing similar loads.
  • Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    Should pull the trailer just fine.  That said, be sure to evaluate it for payload.  I had a Toyota Tacoma 4wd 6 with a double cab.  In that configuration it only has a payload capacity of 1150 lbs.  Figure driver, passengers, fuel, trailer tongue weight and any baggage and that thousand pounds is used up really fast.  I opted to trade it for an F150  - and I am only pulling a Tab 320.
  • Options
    hamrxhamrx Member Posts: 16
    I own a T@B 320 with a recently purchased Ford Ranger FX 4x4.  I have owned 2 x 4 and 4 x 4 before.  the 4 x 4 has gotten me out of mud, wet grass and up a dirt road.  And that was on my property before I got to the farm road.  Also good for snow and sand.  remember the trailer adds a different prospective to trailering.  When I owned the 2 x 4 I had to use my 4 x 4 kubota farm tractor to get the trailer to the road.  Posirear doesn't help with a 2 x 4
    Former 5th wheel and now T@B 320s owner. Amateur Radio Operator. Pulled by 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4 x 4
  • Options
    crohrbachercrohrbacher Member Posts: 24
    We tow a 2020 Tab400bdl with a 2019 Ranger and love it. We went from San Antonio TX to Cheyenne WY (going through Colorado) and back without an issue. The truck had plenty of power, and the tow package really helped. We usually get around 14mpg while towing at around 60-65mph. 
    Charles / 2020 T@B 400BDL / 2019 Ford Ranger / Cibolo, TX
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    We pulled our TAB 400 about 25,000 miles this year with our F150 Ecoboost 4X4. The engine has awesome power and we got an average of 12.5 mpg at 62 MPH including many mountain passes.
    It has max tow AND max cargo which was hard to find. Don't use the owner's manual or listen to any sales people about the vehicle's capacities. You want a photo of the sticker in the driver side door jam. I will have GVWR, GAWR and cargo capacity. We have an XLT super cab which gives us a 6.5' bed, the fancier trim and other stuff reduces those numbers.
    I added air bags with a compressor. I was advised to go with the small 1,000 lb set instead of the heavy duty versions to improve the ride while empty. I measured the truck ride height when empty and add enough air to bring it back up once I have loaded the bed and connected the trailer.

2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I tow with a 2019 Toyota Tundra double cab. 5.7 V8. Also have air bags. Ususlly 15-20 psi. I was getting 12plus mpg towing a tab 400, but I changed to a very chunky tire for my forays into my freinds fields for winter firewood. Now I only get 10mpg.
    Ill probably get a set of steel wheels with a less agressive tread for long rides. Didnt expect such a drop in mpg.
  • Options
    McMullapMcMullap Member Posts: 24
    As far as mountains are concerned, a turbo engine is usually considered better in higher altitudes. Traditional V8 and V6’s struggle with air intake while a turbo performs equal to, or even better with less air. I’ve been considering the Ranger and 320 and once the markets return to normal, I plan to pull the trigger. As other have stated, skip the FX package. The added weight and reduction in payload, combined with the rough ride are not worth it in my opinion. Good luck! Andy
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    edited August 2021
    I'm towing a '16 320 with a 2013 F150, 3.5 v6.  So far it's been a great truck - can go ~400 miles on a tank and I average ~16mpg towing (unless I'm in a mountainous area) - I drive slow (mostly 60mph or 55mph in California/their towing law) so that might account for the mpg. I wanted a dual cab but couldn't find one in my price range (used) and instead this has the bed topper which I also wanted - can't have it all! 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!