Options

BMV712 in 2019 Tab 400. how far from smart solar

Im about to install a BMV 712 in my Tab. My options for the BMV display is either on my new psnel under the three way fridge, or over the lighting panel bt the door. How far away from each other can the BMV and smart solar be and still get Bluetooth comms to form a network?

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2020
    I'm able to connect to the Victron Bluetooth from about 75 feet - through the window of my house into the Tab's battery tub sitting next to the barn. It seems to be a pretty strong signal. Also no problem connecting from the dashboard of the TV into the battery tub on the Tab.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We have both the MPPT smart solar and the Victron battery monitor installed in our 400. The Victron battery monitor is installed on the wall next to the wardrobe, above the light switch for the bedroom. I can connect to the battery monitor from inside the house, but I have to be quite close to the camper to connect to the smart solar. I think I set them up in a network, but I admit to having no idea what the purpose or advantage of a network actually is--if someone could explain it (simply) to me, I'd appreciate it! 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The Bluetooth signal is stent enough to reach anywhere in the trailer to connect to the Solar Controller.  The cable for the display head is long enough to reach from the battery compartment where the Shunt is located to reach either location.  I mounted mine on the closet wall in our TaB400, next tot he light switch.  This was easy to route the cable to.  You need to remove the Jensen Radio to access the space behind the panel before cutting the hole for the display and secure it to the wall.  Coil the excess cable back u dear the speaker.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
  • Options
    @Denny16 how do you get the Jensen out?
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2020
    @Deb55, re networking... The battery monitor and controller are said to communicate with each other via the Bluetooth to optimize the charge curve to the conditions - battery charge state, temperature and available solar etc.
    Deb55 said:
    We have both the MPPT smart solar and the Victron battery monitor installed in our 400. The Victron battery monitor is installed on the wall next to the wardrobe, above the light switch for the bedroom. I can connect to the battery monitor from inside the house, but I have to be quite close to the camper to connect to the smart solar. I think I set them up in a network, but I admit to having no idea what the purpose or advantage of a network actually is--if someone could explain it (simply) to me, I'd appreciate it! 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tundra57 said:
    @Denny16 how do you get the Jensen out?
    Remove the screws on the radio’s front panel, then pull it straighten out, until the backside gets to the opening then pull the right side out first, then slide it tomthe right to get the wire harness out from the left side.  You have two wire harness, one for the speakers with unused wires in it, and one for power, unplug both, then you can sit the radio on the bunk.  Now you can use the hole left by the radio to get your hand and the backing nut for the monitor installed, and pull the wire for the monitor in from the back side.

To route the monitor wire, get it from the shunt location into the front side of the Alde where the MPPT is, then follow the MPPT wires through the bulkhead to the under closet space, then push it up in the box around the AC duct, or along side it, into the radio space.

Plug the cable into the monitor, then mount it up, put the radio back in, and Bob’s your Uncle.  B)
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16 Great thanks. When i looked above the fridge i could see that area was boxed in. Thanks for the description. I saw how to get the display cable up to where the dc light switch panel is to locate there, but i was worried that it might be too far for the wireless network peer to peer to be reliable. Right above the three way fridge is a safer option.
    By the way your post ending is very unique!
    :-).
  • Options
    @Deb55. I have dual smart solar controller s abd they dont play nice, sharing. Setting up a smart network with the two controller and a BMV is supposed to make sure both controllers stay in the vest mode for them to better share the load in addition to more efficient charging curves. In my case, one or other controller would not wake up after sleep, even tho both had sufficient sun power. This is supposed to fix that problem. I hope to find out.
    I had both controllers in good sun but one controller showed 8Amps and the other zero. Each works on their own fine. I read on the Victron website community that many had this problem. Victron did a software update so that thro the network the sleepy controller is woken up to match the hard working one. So they can share up to the power capability they have from the sun.
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    LOL, @Tundra57--I have no idea what you're talking sbout--that went right over my head!  I think I'll just have to stick to the basic monitoring functions of the Victron. At least I can tell what I have left, what's going in, and which appliances/lights/etc. have the biggest draw so I can use them sparingly! 
  • Options
    @Deb55 apologies for the spelling mistakes. It only makes a real difference if you have multiple smart controllers, in my case the factory solar and i added two external solar panels.
    Ill report back if I see an improvement. For a single solar controller and the BMV when they are networked (you use the app on a smartphone select the device and add it to a network - first time it asks for a made up  name do the BMV first , then the smart solar charger.) The BMV talks to the smart solar controller and they work out how best to charge the battery with the solar energy available. Also the BMV, as you say, will use its usage data and internal calculations to estimate remaining capacity to 50%. You can change this value, but it will reduce battery life proportionally. The trick is to never leave a battery in a discharged state, specially below 50% for any longer than necessary. The time it is discharged causes more life shortening than taking it below 50% in the first place.
    All batteries work better being discharged and recharged. The days of "memory" where a battery "sticks" are long gone. However deep discharge of a battery will reduce its life. Good quality AGM batteries have a normal life, if looked after of 10yrs. Discharging below 50% will reduce this. I think i calculated if you discharge regularly to  30%  but recharge up over 50% within a few hours it only reduces battery life by a few years.
    Lithium batteries last longer being discharged down below 50% and are lighter
    But the initial cost is much greater.
    Note that this 50% figure is not where 0% is no voltage at all, 0% is the minimum allowed discharge voltage for the particular battery type. Probably only Basic Lead Acid batteries can recover from discharge to zero.
    Also Lithium batteries are a fire hazard if accidentally shorted, or become over heated or charged too fast.
    Sorry to have rambled a bit lol.
    Keep RVIng.

• Options
    m_lewism_lewis Member Posts: 76
    I installed the Victron BMV712 in the panel by the door. Because the DW is too short to see the CoolCat display, I moved it down below the Alde control panel and installed the Victron in its place, using the square faceplate to cover all the previous holes.
    This required removal of the microwave to access the rear of the panel (4 screws, at the corners of the outer face trim).
    There is a low voltage conduit of black PVC pipe (looks like a drain pipe) that runs horizontally from the upper left rear corner of the under sink cabinet to the wiring chase behind the angled panel with the inverter outlet and switch. This made pulling the Victron cable very easy, as this chase is open to the area above the battery cutoff switch, while the chase behind the sink with the GFI outlet and the USB/Lighter socket is open to the area behind the control panel.
    The Bluetooth network between the battery meter and the solar charge controller works fine, as evidenced by the charge controller's ability to display battery temperature. I got the battery temp optional cable for the BMV.
    Access to the BMV over Bluetooth works as far away as 45-50 feet, but the range of the charge controller is a little less. Both work fine from inside the tow vehicle as well as anywhere within the campsite vicinity.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite, BMW X3
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    Tundra57 said:
    Im about to install a BMV 712 in my Tab. My options for the BMV display is either on my new psnel under the three way fridge, or over the lighting panel bt the door. How far away from each other can the BMV and smart solar be and still get Bluetooth comms to form a network?
    Given the fact that the display itself is almost useless and I only access it via the App on my phone I just mounted it under the bed near the batteries. 
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    @m_lewis and @Michael49, both good options. So all features and settings on the display are available with the app?
    @m_lewis, why did you have to remove the microwave? Was that to get behind the dispay to tighten the back nut? 
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    Tundra57 said:
    @m_lewis and @Michael49, both good options. So all features and settings on the display are available with the app?
    @m_lewis, why did you have to remove the microwave? Was that to get behind the dispay to tighten the back nut? 
    Yes, and much more!!

The text on the display is actually very difficult to read - why anyone would use it is beyond me. The app is much more user friendly and that is how you set up the BMV anyway, based on the type of batteries your using, total amperage, etc. 
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    m_lewism_lewis Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2020
    I removed the microwave to make sure I didn't hole-saw into any wires, to tighten the mounting nut, and to have easy access to the wire chase behind the panel, as well as room to spice an additional foot onto the three CoolCat thermostat wires to enable it to be moved down.
    It is quite easy to remove, just unplug it, unscrew the four screws, and slide it out. You might want to remove the turntable platter first, or at least pad it. The edges of the front trim are sharp, so be sure to take care with your hands and the surface you place the oven on.   

I agree that the text legends for the extended data readouts are about as clear to me as hieroglyphics, but the basic AmpHours, Voltage, and Time Remaining are all I mostly care about. 
    Still, I use the phone app more often than I use the display. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go for the SmartShunt and never miss the display.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite, BMW X3
  • Options
    I like the display as a B/U and convenience of getting a quick battery voltage reading.  For extended details, the app is the way to go.  
    Cheers