Options

Thinking of a boondocking vacation

Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
We're thinking of getting away for Labor Day weekend, and staying in either a state park with no hookups, or joining Harvest Host and seeing the Finger Lakes wineries in NY. We have a 2018 T@B 400, and just had a 190 watt rooftop solar panel installed, but we haven't actually used it camping yet. So, those with experience, do you think it's reasonable to camp for 4 nights? We've switched out the Fantastic Fan for a Maxxair Deluxe, so that helps. We plan to use a couple of coolers instead of the 2-way fridge, and we don't have an inverter or electric appliances. I know we'll have to conserve gray and black waste tank space. If we're in a state park, the sites might have shade. I'm trying to think of everything! How reasonable is the plan for 4 days?  We mostl want to have a good time without wrecking our batteries, which are the 2 6v AGMs. Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    With sunlight, the solar panels will keep the TaB batteries charged even with using the 2-way fridge.  Just cool off the fridge using shore power before you take off.  The basic TaB400 systems, including the 2-way fridge have a small power draw.  All the lighting is LED, the TV is your biggest power user, along with the fridge next.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    @Deb55 I have essentially the same setup and we frequently dry camp for days and as @Denny16 indicated the 2 way fridge is very thrifty. We have found that the gray and black tanks are the limiting issue but with conservation 3-4 days is not a problem with mostly sun. I bought a “Blue Boy” portable sewer tote just in case but have yet to need it but it has travelled cross country. The Harvest Hosts we have visited have been really good experiences. The state parks and National Parks we have visited have been primarily dry camping and are my favorite and 3-4 days without dumping have our typical. The solar tops off the overnight battery use usually before noon. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Thanks, @Denny16 and @DenisP! I think we just have to jump right into this adventure and stop being nervous about it! It sounds like we should be fine for the amount of days we have in mind. I'm pretty sure I'll be obsessively checking our battery monitor (as if I don't do that already, in our driveway, just for fun!). 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There isn't a ton of of dispersed public land camping in the Finger Lakes, just the national forest and the state parks will be a mad house.

I have a friend who has been trying to find spits in Allegheny National Forest and has had difficulty. They lucked into a spot as a camper was pulling out when they arrived.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    We managed to get a site in Keuka Lake State Park for Labor Day weekend. Wineries, boating, and hiking all nearby. No hookups, so we're putting our solar panel to the test! 
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Word about Harvest Host. My experience has been very good and have two more stays with them coming next month...in CA central coast wine country. Ver accommodating, friendly folks. Most have been willing to extend a stay for another night if they have space. Even during the Wuhan pandemic they've stepped up. Can't serve during "business hours" (only bottle purchases for "take out" but after 400pm, we're just friends sitting around imbibing. 

Crank the fridge on shore power day prior, be conservative on H2O usage (bottled water for drinking), etc. and you'll be fine. 

Did you install the Victron or some other solar panel? If Victron be sure to load the app on your phone so you can monitor battery to a greater degree. Sure other solar panels offer something similar.

Botton line: Jump in...both feet...have fun! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    @AirBoss yes, when we had NuCamp install the solar panel and the SmartSolar 75/15 controller, we also had them install the Victron 712 battery monitor. I was pretty obsessive about checking everything in our 400 to see which things had the greatest power draw! I now know that the strip of lights over the sink uses a lot compared to the other lights, and when the fridge is cycling on it uses a lot, but cycles off again pretty quickly. We also changed out our Fantastic Fan, which was an energy hog. We always buy water to drink, and just use the tank for washing and flushing. It surprises me how fast the gray tank fills, though. The last time we camped at an electric only site, I had to drain a bucket of gray water and flush it into the toilet to gain a bit of space. That was only 3 nights--this time we're going 4 nights without any hookups. It's an adventure... 
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Good...you're step above the app then!. Been kicking around installing the 712 myself. Be interested in your feedback after your "adventure." 

Yes, galley lights are a hog. May have to break out the tent camping head lamps instead! 

Our three way fridge can be the same but solar and propane are good friends. 

Will be installing Maxxair Deluxe as soon as it arrives and moving Fantatic into the head. 

Guess you could always go a little rogue and use the outdoor shower instead...neighbors withstanding of course! 

Have fun out there...
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    edited July 2020
    I'm always surprised to hear of things in the trailers described as "energy hogs".  Fridges will always be the biggest energy user in the trailer.  The parasitic drain from the various devices that can't be turned off is much more of a power user than the majority of items in the trailer, even if the items were run for 24 hours.  This spread sheet is from the Unofficial Tab Resource guide from the Manual files.  Not sure which of the galley lights you are describing, but the biggest draw from any light is about 2 amps.  With at least 100 amp hours available, this light could run for 50 straight hours (about) before using that many amps.  Bathroom fan for 30 hours.  And so on.  Add any decent level of wattage from your solar panel, and those lights would run "amp use free" during the daylight hours, the battery would charge, and the 30 hour clock would start over.  And  you could run the fans all day, too, and not touch your battery reserve.
    My point is:  you have a good solar panel setup.  You have an excellent battery setup. (Compare it to my 70 amp hour battery and 100 watt panel in my 2017, which serves me well.)  The trailer's systems are fairly energy efficient and getting better all the time.  There is no reason to huddle in the dark snuggled up to battery lights (I do that too!)  When you get your Victron you will see your usage much more clearly, and you will enjoy your trailer even more.  The true test will be the days of no sun.  That is when managing your power use will become a challenge, but knowing how much each system really uses will be a great help.  I think this spread sheet is from a 2019, so things in your trailer might be different.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi