Options

side room

hello all. i'm new here but have had our 2004 T@B trailer for several years. my question is; does anyone have any recommendations for a side room or canopy type tent? i see some very expensive options but am wondering if there is a less expensive way to go. i spent most of yesterday looking at different options but was disappointed to see that Coleman no longer appears to be making the event shelter or loma dome. i would love to find something like that with a side wall for sun shade (or 2) but am really not sure what will work with the opening height of the door, etc. has anyone had any luck recently with tents that are still being manufactured but less expensive than the Pohaque brands?  thanks in advance for any ideas!  =)

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Welcome, Mumsy. There have been several discussions on this very topic, offering several creative ideas for DIY canopies and awnings. Do a search and poke around and you should find lots of ideas.
    An actual tent or or other enclosed side room will be a taller order if you are looking to cobble something together yourself.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    Our used TAB came with the Pahaque side tent, and it's terrific. It's a rain-proof sitting room, entrance vestibule, what-have-you right there... no need to walk through rain and bugs to have a large extra space that's part of the trailer. I have seen them go used for reasonable prices. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Does your T@B have a Keder Rail?  That will determine what you can use.
    An EZ Up with side curtains may be the least expensive option, but of course won't mate to the side of the T@B without some gaps.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    @AaronC We were seriously interested in the Walker tent but the price is so high! Also, we know it is difficult and time consuming to put up. 
    We have heard mixed reviews about the Pahaque tents so it is good to hear something positive. 
    A few questions:
    How is it for ease of setup? 
    How is it for really windy days?
    Do you notice leaks when it rains or the water pooling on the roof? 
    Thanks!
    mer
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    We have enjoyed our PahaQue tent for 4 seasons.  It has seen lots of rain and wind gusts up to at least 40 mph - lots of noise, but it held intact.  My DH can put it up by himself and recommends if shorter than 5’10” to use a step stool to guide the keder rope over the top.  We put it up together in about 15 min with practice.  We have a pole with PVC arms used to support the ceiling to prevent water from pooling.  I know the newer models have a ridge pole to prevent pooling.  We would not hesitate to replace ours.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    I am 5'9 and put up and take down the Pahaque tent in about half an hour. The only frustrating part is guiding the shock cord pole (the fiberglass sectioned pole) through the sleeve to form the arched front. I have had a little water pool on the roof, but that's minimized by pulling the stays in front tight. Also, Pahaque makes a kit to retrofit their older tents (like ours) with the roof pole. I think this is a quality product, seems very sturdy, and just has a few design frustrations that I think Pahaque continues to tweak. The best part is, if you're staying in one spot two nights or more, it's REALLY WORTH THE (minimal) TROUBLE TO PUT IT UP! You gain a huge amount of space, which our tiny TABSs just don't have inside. 
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    I appreciate your review of the tent. I went on the site to look at price/availability and they are out of stock BUT they are offering 15% off and free shipping. It may be a good time to take the plunge. 
    Thanks! 
    mer
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.