Options

Plastic half moon trim pieces on sides of trailer by the front handles coming lose. 2021 T@B320 CS-S

Mac53Mac53 Member Posts: 2
Hello all, this is my first post so please bear with me. 
Theses trim pieces are held on with doublesided auto motive grade tape. Looks like 3m. I have only had my trailer a month and these things keep coming lose. Almost lost one on a recent trip. Ended up using clear gorilla tape to hold it on but I like a more permanent fix. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have a good fix?

Mac

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Your dealer should have a good fix for this issue.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Member Posts: 2
    Denny

Thanks, I tried that. They fixed the drivers side one lasted 45 mins. Didn't even make it home. Then I replaced all the tape and very carefully fit it back on. Lasted a week (guess I'm no expert) that when I put gorilla tape on it. Still on it but doesn't look so great. Now the passenger side one is starting to come lose.

My confidence in the dealer is not so high. I was considering using screws like they do on the fenders as a last resort.

Mac
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Try calling the nüCamp factory and talking to the warranty employees. Or email them at warranty@nucamprv.com. (Phone numbers are in the categories on the left under Forum & Contact info.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    These handles tend to come loose on both the 400 and 320. A new 400 owner gave me the tip if applying some Locktite to hold them in place. Only the front handle covers seem to want to come off.

I put the glue on about 6 weeks ago and they have not come loose, since.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Hi mine are loose but haven't totally come off (yet). I read your earlier post but didn't understand how Locktite would work. I haven't pulled mine off yet to come up a better fix. It looked to me that it was a plastic catch of some sort. I think of Locktite for screw threads. Would you describe in more detail what kind of Locktite and how it was applied?
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    Are you referring to these handle covers?  I lost this one on my first trip.  It's somewhere on I-75 in Michigan if anyone finds it!
  • Options
    Are you referring to these handle covers?  I lost this one on my first trip.  It's somewhere on I-75 in Michigan if anyone finds it!
    Yup. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Just a couple quick comments.  First, after getting a bit frustrated with the dealer, I went directly to the factory and had my parts in 3 days!  They were amazing to work with - pleasant and efficient.  Next, I think the trick to keeping these covers in place is as follows:  First, you have to loosen the top nut on the handle.  Then slide the small tab on the handle cover behind the retaining clamp...behind the nut.  Then, while holding it in place, I had to 'straighten out' the cover (bend it slightly) which allowed me to tighten the nut with a socket and extension.  That held the top nice and tight, then the bottom just snapped in.  It feels very secure now.  I hope this helps!
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Did this process of "...slide the small tab ... behind the retaining clamp..." come from the factory? I'm anticipaing a similar problem in my future. They both were suspiciously loose during the walk around but by pressing in on the plastic they felt like they seated. However by the second trip one of the two handle covers has gotten loose again. It's embarrassing to tell people to be careful not to pull the handles off while moving the trailer...
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Agreed.  I didn't really get any instructions from the company.  All of my handles are secured tightly at the top, but two are quite loose at the bottom.  The one I replaced actually fell off in transit.  The new handle from Nucamp clipped in much 'tighter' at the bottom than the orignal.  While I had the socket out, I tightened all of the nuts (top and bottom) which helped a bit.  I hate to do it to a brand new camper, but I'm going to put a wrap or two of electrical tape on them before my next trip.  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    If these handles continue to loosen with travel, you may want to consider using bicycle handle bar wrap.  Very durable and comes in many colors!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Handle-bar tape is a great idea.
  • Options
    MarkAl said:
    Hi mine are loose but haven't totally come off (yet). I read your earlier post but didn't understand how Locktite would work. I haven't pulled mine off yet to come up a better fix. It looked to me that it was a plastic catch of some sort. I think of Locktite for screw threads. Would you describe in more detail what kind of Locktite and how it was applied?
    They make a general adhesive that is a bit like Gorilla Glue. Essentially, I glued mine in place.