Options

Review of the Ontel Turbo Pump for Replenishing Freshwater Tank

When remote camping in our Tab 320S, we start out with 11 gallons in our freshwater tank, which will last us about three days. We then carry up to another 11 gallons in the truck in two containers to replenish the tank. However, hefting the 5- or 6-gallon containers to the trailer fill port is awkward and difficult, and it always results in spills.

I saw this Ontel Turbo Pump (about $20) in a YouTube advertisement and consequently looked at some reviews, which generally praised its capabilities, so I bought one from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Ontel-TUPU-MC6-Turbo-Liquid-Transfer/dp/B07LFSNGKH/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=turbo+pump&qid=1596487936&sr=8-3

The pump is 20 in. long with 15 in. of reach below the pipe outlet to fit into the water container. This will almost reach to the bottom of my 5-gallon container, leaving only a few ounces of water at the bottom. The hose is 33 in. long, including the tip. The tip has a sensor that (usually) automatically shuts off the pump when the receiving container is full (or when the trailer tank burps). The pump is powered by 3 AA batteries, and a rocker switch on the top of the assembly turns the pump on and off. I was pleased that the tube fit nicely into the trailer fill port, and the tip has a clip to help keep the hose stabilized while pumping.

CAVEAT: Although not mentioned in any of the sales information, the included directions clearly state this this pump is not to be used for drinking water. I suspect that this may be simply a lack of certification since the pump is marketed for many types of liquids, including gasoline, oil, gray water, aquarium water, and the like (they caution that each type of liquid should have a dedicated pump to avoid cross contamination).  That notwithstanding, the device is made from sturdy plastic (except for the flexible hose) and there is no smell or residue in the pumped water. However, since we only use the trailer water for washing, showering, and flushing, this warning is of no concern to us.

PROS: The specifications claim the pump can transfer 2.5 gallons per minute (GPM) from the source container. This is a reasonable estimate. When pumping from an elevated container straight down, I measured a transfer of five gallons in 1 minute 20 seconds, which is about 3.75 GPM. This is the best case since in this configuration the output pipe extends below the water level, and the transfer is boosted by gravity-assisted siphon. However, for my application, the trailer fill port is about 3 ft. above the ground, and in this case the pump is working against gravity. In several tests, I found that the pump would lift water 3 ft. from a five gallon container on the ground to the trailer fill port in about 2 minutes and 45 seconds (1.8 GPM). The photo below shows water flow from the pump with the output hose held about a foot above the container.

I was skeptical about capacity of three AA batteries to adequately power the pump, so my next test was to see how long it would pump on a single set of batteries. I ran the test using three fully charged Harbor Freight 2200 milliamp hour NiMH cells, and I was frankly surprised by the results. After pumping water up three feet from a five gallon container 23 times, the speed slowed appreciably. That’s a total of 115 gallons, which far exceeded my expectations, and certainly exceeds my requirements for camping.

CONS: At the end of the above battery test when the pumping slowed, I decided to try transferring one more five gallon container. Alas, the pump would not turn on! I got it to run briefly by flicking the impeller, but it ran roughly and unevenly, and then wouldn’t run again. Fresh batteries didn’t remedy the problem, so I decided the unit had failed. Fortunately, it was still within the Amazon 30 day return period, so I was able to get my money refunded. Given the tests described above and a number of previous five-gallon transfers while camping, it appears that the life of this particular unit was about 150 gallons, or about an hour and a half of total run time. Note that during the marathon pumping test, I ran it for about three minutes turned on, and two minutes turned off to avoid overheating (of which none was apparent). But it’s possible that the extended run time weakened the pump at a faster rate than occasional use.

Some reviewers commented that the hose is made from plastic that could easily crush, and it's not the type of plastic that returns to its original form. But with reasonable care, this should not be a problem.

RECOMMENDATION: All that said, I can conditionally recommend this pump based on utility and performance, but not on durability. I decided to buy another one, since for my purposes I will use it just a few times a summer, and even if it lasts only one or two summers, I think it’s well worth $20 for the convenience. (But I’ll do no more extended testing!)

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @SolarSteve - have you checked out the siphon that works via gravity and no batteries?  Works great!

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SolarSteveSolarSteve Member Posts: 9
    Sharon-is-Sam -- thanks for the idea. I might get one. Do you use this to refill your water tank? If so, where to you put your source water container while siphoning? I presume it would have to be lifted higher than the trailer's water port.
  • Options
    We use this exclusively to fill our fresh water tank.  We use a 2.5 gallon jug and place it on top of the front tub.  We tried a 6 gallon jug - too heavy to lift and it required a board across the tub for support.  
  • Options
    Jackie_DaveJackie_Dave Member Posts: 73
    We have a 5 gallon Jerry Can and place it on top of the front tub and use the siphon hose. Works great and is fairly quick to empty 5 gallons.
    2018 T@B 320-S / 2007 Toyota Tundra
    Harpers Ferry, WV
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2020
    Yes, a siphon works nicely with small containers like a 5-gal Jerry can.  But a siphon requires the top of the source water to be higher than delivery point.  OP has an 11-gal supply, so a siphon is not going to be the best option, when you consider lifting 100 lbs of water to get it on a stand or the trailer tongue.  The pump concept seems to be the way to go in this situation.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @SolarSteve - you may be able to back up your truck close enough to siphon from the container in the truck.  The hose is 6 feet long.  Try it and see if you can get close enough.