Options

Solar Film for Acrylic Windows

Did a fairly quick search on here looking for folks who have looked into installing solar film on the acrylic windows of the T@B. Apologies if this duplicates a previous thread. 

I've found a product called Blister Free that is used specifically on application to acrylic and ploycarbonate windows. This film goes on the window first, then the actual solar film is laid over this. If you open the link, scroll down to the Bliser Free product for more info. 

Thought was that perhaps you could greatly reduce solar heating in the rig, provide sufficent light transfer, add some level of privacy, while ensuring the film doesn't start bubbling up and delaminating like a DYI 82' Corolla tint job. 

I do have a couple calls in to dealers and manufacturers and will follow up if it proves worth further investigation. 

Cheers all, 
2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
San Diego, CA
www.airbossone.com
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Comments

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Be curious to your results if you can find a dealer.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited August 2020
    Have you noticed the Avia has tinted windows?  Has got me wondering if there is a tinted replacement for our T@B windows.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Dutch061
    @TNOutback
    Just off the phone with manufacturer. Aside from price, two issues from the get go from their perspective:

First, the Blister Free will likely not conform to the curved edge of the acrylic windows. In order to have a chance of conforming you'd have to heat the film with a heat gun while stretching it over the window. Not a good idea. So, it could likely only be installed on the flat portions of the windows, which would leave an obvious edge around the window. 

Second, in order to get the solar radiation protection you'd likely have to go with a commerical grade solar film over the Blister Free, as most automotive flims dor not reflect radiation. They either allow it to penetrate or trap it in the glass...neither of which is a solution to this issue. 

Third, as always, price. Blister Free is very expensive. I didn't bother to ask after hearing reasons one and two above. 

Yes, I've seen the Avia windows. Would be interesting to know if nuCamp offers something similar. They look like they're tinted acrylic. Not sure if they offer much in the way of solar radiation reflectivity but certainly offer added privacy.   
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    More to follow possibly...spoke with folks at Avery Dennison and they have a product that is designed for acrylic as well but it's a single sheet, unlike the Blister Free which requires two different layers and twice labor costs.

May know more early next week...stay tuned. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    I guess I am not convinced that this will do much good as far as controlling the cabin heat.  I again tried Reflectix on our CS windows in transit and it did squat.  The inside cabin temperature was ambient or higher.  Even with the MaxxAir vent open.  

Also, I think someone determined the heat coming through the roof was significant - especially under the solar panels.  We need another layer of insulation I think.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    Not totally convinced myself, frankly, but worth pursuing in my pandemic pause I suppose. 

And yes, the roof of the T@B 400, especially directly under solar panels, radiates a significant amount of heat. Believe @TNOutback has the numbers on that. In a recent test I did, after 3 hours of a/c running, the temp at countertop level using a stand alone sensor was 20 degress cooler than the Air 8 thermocouple I now have located adjacent to the Jensen head unit, at head level.

I use the Reflectix on the three windows as well, when in storage and while towing. I think they help, but have no data to support that...just a perception. 

How do you like the Maxxair? Is it Deluxe? So far, so good? Have one in transit due to install next week. 

Cheers all,
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @AirBoss - we love the MaxxAir.  Yes, we have the Deluxe 7500 with the electric lid opening and the remote.  

I used an Accurite thermometer and monitored the galley vs cabin temperature in the driveway and in transit with and without the Reflectix.  The CS galley temp is always higher than the cabin - limited air space, frig running.  But, no difference with or without Reflectix in the cabin.  Our roofs are a big heat sink I’m afraid.  Luckily, with the MaxxAir, the Danby and a little shade we are able to easily cool the cabin and typically only sleep with the fan.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Glad to hear it RE: the Maxx. Thanks! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com